OpenStreetMap must not be the petri dish of political-driven nonsense
Yet here we are again, the Chinese Commies just spit on everything they thought was rightful. Yes yes, I explicitly use the term 'Commies' as gallantry since I came from 'the Taipei and environs' by their courtesies. BTW, 'Taiwan' or 'Formosa' is the place if you can't recall.
I was rather indolent to express any political views on the OpenStreetMap as it should be a site to record facts, not a place to be poisoned by political flim-flam. However, the landscape has changed too much from a niche and friendly environment to a colossal and somewhat hostile one.
OpenStreetMap is not and shalln't be the sacrifice in the political struggles
More and more Chinese mappers joined as China rises, but many rather acting irrationally and nonconstructive. These mappers can mainly be categorised into 4 major doctrines:
- OSM datasets exploiting: denying the existence of Xinjiang internment camps, the de facto status of Taiwan, Penghu, Kinmen and Matsu, nor the territorial dispute on the South China Sea and Pinnacle Islands;
- Invalid notes abusing: creating notes unrelated to data qualities and asserting Chiese political view;
- OSM wiki vandalising: improper editing on the page ‘Taiwan’ and clearing OSMTW community early discussions;
- Heavily mapping on unrealistic constructions in a foreseeing future: e.g. Beijing-Taipei Expressway, China National Highway 319 (Kaohsiung-Chengdu)
Unfortunately, all of them were never cared to listen nor discuss, while the community members try to be friendly and sagacious. Which let me rethink the need to embrace or cope with such gibberish, rather.
Relentless attempts from these resentful Chinese users tried to assert their perspective on the maps and wikis, of which I think were bêtise and nescient, mostly had been reverted time by time with a huge amount of effort. The community now must confront the inconvenient truth for that we were amassed at the centre of a political tug-of-war, action needs to be taken to prevent collateral damage.
Changesets vandalising TW
Changesets claiming the disputed territories or waters as Chinese
Changesets covering up Xinjiang internment camps
Invalid notes asserting political views claims Taiwan is a part of China
- Removing OSMTW members editing and asserting political view
- Purged all discussion made for the page ‘Taiwan’
- Claiming Taiwan as a province of China
Wonderful poppycock from zh-CN users (no offence but yes poppycock)