scruss has commented on the following diary entries

West Street Blues about 2 months ago

I used Talky Toaster's exports a couple of years ago. They had their own shortcomings, not least their routing being very weak (though very scenic).

Shame about the address source problems. I usually map addresses from my own street surveys. Food hygiene open data is a good source, and we're looking at that in Toronto for OSM — though Canada jealously guards the copyright of its postal code data, so we have to look elsewhere for that.

OpenStreetMap Power Mapper Survey about 2 months ago

Good project. Wish we could do the same in Canada, but we don't have federal energy policy.

West Street Blues about 2 months ago

It's in the OpenMapChest garmin extract that gives the location as “W ST”. It's fine in the database, but is clearly being munged by the conversion script.

If you look at the changeset that included those restos, you may find a familiar user name … I don't have a reliable free source of address data for the UK, so I didn't add them. Slightly surprised that there aren't even address ranges for these locations. I was under the impression that the UK was pretty sorted for mappers and Ontario was a bit crap, but if you can't even find a decent curry using OSM …

Village Curry House is very good, btw.

The most inefficient way in North America about 2 months ago

Of course it would be a CanVec way. Most of Northern Canada is horrid land use squares, all at the maximum node limit, splitting up lakes and real features. It's almost impossible to edit, and likely never will be corrected.

Should we teach JOSM to first-time mapathon attendees? about 2 months ago

Any breakdown by user's OS? JOSM on Mac is deeply unpleasant.

(admission of bias: I will only use JOSM if absolutely nothing else will do the job.)

Is OSM business unfriendly? 9 months ago

So many ‘disruptive’ business plans are really just give us your free stuff to resell cos we're IPOing in a week kthxbye. I'm glad that the OSMF is more about the continued existence of OSM.

Categorising paths 11 months ago

Don't forget that "well recognised ideas ... in the UK" are usually classified as "wat?" by worldwide mappers. I grew up in Scotland so most OSM tagging seems vaguely sensible, but explaining it to my fellow Canadians ...? Nah.

Power Generation tagging, and a rather neat way of tagging wind farms about 1 year ago

Oh, and a couple of points I forgot to address that commenters helpfully brought up:

• InfosReseaux - what with collector system losses, derated/oddly-rated turbines (I've operated a few that easily run at 120% nameplate), it's very hard to enter a useful plant:output:electricity for a wind farm.

• Sanderd17 - yes, I know about other designs, but they're vanishingly rare compared to 3-blade HAWTs, and aren't very useful as generators.

Thanks, Dragons8mycat, but I think I've got this one. Over the last 20 years, I've prospected, designed, operated, consulted on or provided due-diligence services to around 3 GW of installed wind plants worldwide.

My complaint about method vs source is that it's redundant in almost all technologies. We should tag for what's here now, rather than create grandiose, impractical schemes that cover all future eventualities. None of us know what we're doing, after all …

tagging a green roof? over 2 years ago

better still!

tagging a green roof? over 2 years ago

perfect! Thanks!

tagging a green roof? over 2 years ago

It's not the colour, Dr K; it's the fact it's growing — so in your part of the world, it would be like having a xeriscaped roof.

Navigating by OSM almost 3 years ago

That went rather well. Sure, it maybe sometimes sent me down a slower road that I might've taken, but at no time was I actually lost or confused. Saved me a ton of cash on Garmin maps, too.

Great work by the UK mappers and routers!

End of Newton Mearns mapping for now almost 3 years ago

Thanks for the edits. I'm back visiting where I grew up, and you pretty much caught all the stuff I thought no-one but me would map ...

This week, I have been mostly mapping wind farms ... over 3 years ago

Chaos99: really? I thought that Ctrl+V was a Java standard. Didn't know anything could change that. I started using the standard JNLP version because I was sick of having it complain about updates.

Tom Chance: it's not that hard to add machine type, especially when I've worked on or around the projects I've mapped. I can now recognize machine type from air photos, alas ;-) Failing that, there are public records or news releases from the manufacturers which can help.

This week, I have been mostly mapping wind farms ... over 3 years ago

Of course! Most of it was trued up against open orthophotos anyway.

In rural southern Ontario, USGS Aerial Imagery is your friend over 3 years ago

True enough, but some consistency would help future editors.

Local weighting for local mappers? over 4 years ago

Did I say I had all the answers to this?

Local weighting for local mappers? over 4 years ago

But current aerial maps aren't available. They're 3-5 years out of date around here. With a WAAS-enabled handheld with a good fix, I'm +/- 3m.

pondering import of wind farms over 5 years ago

I managed to convert the waypoints to OSM using GPSBabel, and then uploaded via josm - thanks!