Here's the latest from the MapRoulette world!
New version released
If you head to MapRoulette.org, you will see that we have a new release out, 2.0.3. This release addresses some annoyances with the keyboard shortcuts, adds a German translation (das freut mich! Thanks nebulon42!) and cleans up the interface in a few places.
A new section displaying keyboard hints
In the past 30 days, we fixed almost 18000 tasks in MapRoulette.
Metrics for the last 30 days. You can see these for yourself on MapRoulette.org
The most popular challenges were:
- Self-Intersecting building outlines - all done!
- Crossing Ways: Highway-Railway, US - 55% done, still more than 17000 tasks available
- CHN_BuildingRoadIntersectionCheck, 34% done, still 2800 tasks available
- Self-Intersecting landuse outlines (World-wide), all done!
- Open Rings, all done!
Looking for something to do?
Some interesting Challenges that still need help:
- Jochen Topf's area-related fix up challenges. He constantly adds new ones and updates us on the latest news.
- Add some crosswalks that were detected based on aerial imagery analysis (post in German). Search for 'crosswalk' in MapRoulette to find the challenges. There are still more than 10 challenges open related to this effort.
- Add some roundabout tags to roundabouts that don't have them yet, based on Telenav's machine learning algorithms applied to big GPS data.
- Fix some abbreviated road names in Utah or California.
By the way: I created the abbreviated road name challenges using an Overpass query. Did you know that you can turn any Overpass query into a MapRoulette challenge? Read this to learn more.
- Do you want to see your own challenge featured in this newsletter? Need help creating your challenge? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Do you want to receive this newsletter in your inbox in the future? Sign up here!
- The MapRoulette Questionnaire is still open if you want to share your opinions on MapRoulette! One lucky participant will receive a mappy prize at SOTM or SOTM US.