What can we do? This drives us every day to support HOT’s mandate and mission. Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team is a respected, global community within the larger OpenStreetMap family. For the past 2 years, I have proudly donated my time, network and skills to help HOT grow organizationally as your Board Member. I respectfully ask for a HOT nomination from the membership and community support to continue this mandate.
My previous election posts can be found on my personal blog. These were shared on the HOT mailing list with the wider community.
Summary of Achievements in the 2014-2015 term
- Managed and distributed [Board Meeting Minutes] (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Meetings) for the year
- Assisted and Lead meetings
- Executive Director support: reviewed, wrote and edited key strategic and organizational process documents.
- Board Retreat: Recruited Allen Gunn of Aspiration to facilitate the HOT Board Retreat. Curated the HOT Board Retreat Planning
- Board primer: to better define Board responsibilities, I created the [Board Primer] (https://docs.google.com/a/hotosm.org/document/d/1ze85KMCa39KIzQPPTQL5EGZgDS84OC1j2sNNDPFNo2Y/edit)
- Actively participated in the [HOT Strategy Planning] (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1E7cAmjl_IV6Dt82ytyZnTR1V0m9xPNRnrQ9n160cHY8/edit#heading=h.58jdoc59t4ct)
- Actively supported the Membership Chair on Elections
- Supported the Community Working Sprint to better define the engagement opportunities
- Wrote and gained support for the HOT Resolution process to better help us manage HOT topics.
- Attended and co-lead a number of HOT Community Working Group meetings. These need some help to move forward.
- Blogged and shared communications on various HOT Projects and Events
- Hosted a HOT workshop at the IEEE Humanitarian Tech Conference (Canada) and OKFestival 2014 (Germany)
- Hosted a HOT Birds of a Feather event at State of the Map US 2014
- Wrote the HOT Terms of Reference for Fundraising
- Edited many grant applications
- Assisted in the community sprint for the Hewitt grant
Getting HOT to the next level
Every organization and especially open source organizations have an evolution. We aim to grow organically while building the healthy parts to support all the moving parts. HOT (the community and the organization) have made tremendous progress. In the coming year, it is key to keep up the momentum. The successful growth of the working groups and membership leadership gives way to a positive, sustainable future. HOT’s Board counts on the organizational staff, Executive Director, consultants, membership and community. HOT is a well-established and sought after partner for projects. We have grown with staff and consultancies to support these amazing opportunities. Our funders continue to support HOT’s evolution by funding strategic projects like OAM and Activation training. This, in turn, supports the whole HOT and OSM community.
This year I ask for your support to continue as your Board Member on the mandate of strategic planning, fundraising and organizational development.
As an active Digital Humanitarian and HFOSS leader, you can count on me to champion HOT as your Board Member and fellow community member. I will continue to advocate for HOT at events, online and for our community growth. You can learn more about me on my blog (TextonTechs) [http://textontechs.com/]
Be a HOT Board Member
To my fellow Hotties, HOT needs strong Board Members. I would encourage you to review the Board Primer, the HOT Strategy and all the Board Minutes. Please ask your current board and former Board Members for guidance. Together we can continue to support the amazing work of mappers, humanitarians and those citizens who want to learn.
I highly recommend that these skills be part of your personal toolkit to support HOT’s future.
- Strong network, partnership relationships, fundraising capabilities
- Finance or legal background
- Strategic and management experience
- Language skills (Do you speak Arabic, Mandarin or another language?)
Thank you again for your support and here’s to a great year.