skorasaurus's Diary Comments

Diary Comments added by skorasaurus

Updating names in Texas about 1 year ago

Thanks for your work on this Minh.

Cobb County Georgia over 2 years ago

Hi Larry,

Welcome to OpenStreetMap!

Regarding the changing to ‘take’: your edits are instantly available to the public as soon as you upload them but it can take up to a day or two for the common map layer on osm.org to display your changes. (and it appears to be Veterans Memorial Highway Southeast to me :))

Sometimes, a particular section or length of road may not cover the entire road (especially if it’s a long road!), so you may have to select each of the lines.

Regards, Will from Ohio

Reflections on OSMF over 2 years ago

Heather,

Thank you for sharing your time, energy, and talents over the years.

I agree that OSMF needs to coordinate the working groups and ensure communication with each other and plan cohesive, intentional communities and actions.

People should realize that the status of OSM over the past 5 years is the result of a lack of broad coordination or dedicated investment to anything like (paying) people to maintain infrastructure and foster communication internally and externally, for starters.

Regards, will.

Calculating total length of paths in Sweden over 2 years ago

There are many different ways that you could do this and depends on how comfortable you are with particular tools (qgis, postgis, or python libraries).

I did this for my city several years ago - https://skorasaurus.wordpress.com/2014/05/07/how-i-measured-clevelands-length-of-roads-with-postgis-and-osm/

I admit that installing postgis and postgresql can be a bit challenging if you do not have experience with it.

My State of the Map Experience in Heidelberg over 2 years ago

Thanks for sharing! Is your presentation “How OSM is used in Spatial Planning in Lesotho” shared anywhere? I would be interested to briefly hear that.

Regards, Will

Career perspectives in OSM mapping - need your advice almost 3 years ago

Hi tuan,

some brief thoughts; I was in a similar position to you 7-8 years ago.

In general, I didn’t find a lot of demand for armchair mapping experience locally (in the USA); because other organizations (google and other private companies or even local governments) had already created the source data.

Additionally, companies have started using more automated ways (machine learning/artificial intelligence) to map and create the data (although it’s not a complete replacement ); so I wouldn’t focus primarily on strictly data collection or creation in your job search or relying on those specific skills for .

If you have any additional skills (using javascript to make interactive web maps; python or postgresql to conduct geographical analysis) accompanying your geospatial knowledge of OSM; that is extremely attractive to an employer and demonstrates how you could help them. Although OSM awareness is generally growing, a lot of people don’t know what it is and you’d have to demonstrate how all of the data that you collected and mapped is being used. My biggest piece of advice would be that: not just show that you contributed to OSM, but what you were able to do with that data.

If you haven’t already, I’d highly recommend learning about HOT and begin volunteering. Not only do you make a difference across the world (and in lesser developed countries, there’s less existing data sources besides OSM); They’re growing remarkably over the past few years and occasionally hire.

Lastly, I d’ (if you know the Vietnamese language at all, that would be attractive as well).

About abbreviating highway name suffixes about 3 years ago

No worries on your past mistakes, don’t feel obligated to change your past ones but if you do, thank you :)

Aboriginal areas are finally on the map! over 3 years ago

Thanks for all of your work advocating and implementing this :)

OpenStreetMap Carto release v4.19.0 over 3 years ago

Thank you for all of your work and dedication to this !

Southern Balkan Province almost 4 years ago

Ambassador,

Thanks for all of your contributions to OpenStreetMap and building the culture of using OpenStreetMap! It’s quite remarkable that the Asgabat has a million people; it must be quite dense given its somewhat small geographic size (at least in OSM).

Regards, Will (Cleveland, OH, USA)

Map-[A]ddiction has Rewards almost 4 years ago

Thank you for sharing your story; you’re inspiring.

Cemeteries in Texas MapRoulette Challenge now powered by Texas Imagery Service over 5 years ago

ToeBee,

The imagery seems to be Public Domain - https://tnris.org/data-catalog/entry/stratmap-smith-2016-6in-nc-cir/

Thanks for coordinating this M, this imagery is sharp!

Weird things seen from above Los Angeles almost 6 years ago

Nice catches, thanks for sharing - also enjoyed the talk in Seattle.

The green cars could be taxis or a fleet of government or business vehicles?

AFK almost 6 years ago

I recognized your name from IRC way several years and giving tons of advice and bouncing off ideas of how to tag things, etc. Thanks for all of your contributions.

Have fun, and good luck!

TIL about OSRM debug map almost 6 years ago

thanks for posting the debug page for OSRM, I never knew about it :)

Missing Maps - Sierra Leone almost 6 years ago

Great job Nick and thanks for sharing and helping build the OSM community there.

From experience, working in the field with HOT can be draining and have many obstacles that most people are unaccustomed to (limited cell phone signal, intermittent electricity, poor roads) that can make tasks much more time-consuming and difficult than you originally anticipated. Kudos to you and the team for persevering!

Adding sport= tags to leisure=pitch. about 6 years ago

Nice write-up.

What do you mean by touch football? American football? I’m not sure how you could distinguish a pitch to be American football instead of touch football. In the USA, it’s still somewhat common to have American football pitches near elementary and high schools.

There’s also many pitches that are used for multiple purposes (in some cases you can see the overlap of the field markers); where I tag it as leisure=pitch and sport=multi

How do you map while on the go? almost 7 years ago

Also, thanks for the suggestion on opencamera; I hadn’t heard of it until now!

How do you map while on the go? almost 7 years ago

Depends on: my mode of transportation [walking? biking? a passenger in a car? having a friend or one of my volunteers with me in my car as drive?], what I’m trying to map, where I’m going, and if I’ll be there again.

Usually, it’s osmtracker + the voice recording feature; I practically never use the poi icons on osmtracker. before mapillary, i’d use its photo feature as well if I was doing photo.

mapillary: use it some sometimes while walking or bicycling and want to capture a lot of details, like in a dense urban environment; I also occasionally drive for my job and have a co-worker/volunteer hold the phone for me; I haven’t found an useful phone mount yet for my s5.

I very rarely edit OSM directly while surveying, with a mobile phone because: it’s too time consuming; I’d rather edit when I go home, my phone [s5, droid] is too small [can’t see the screen well], sucks up a bit of data [I can just capture the info and then edit at home]; As crazy as it may sound to an outsider, I like the interface for JOSM more than vespucci.

I never used any apple apps, so can’t comment on that.

Addresses in Oklahoma about 7 years ago

That’s a bummer.

ODI (Open Data Institute) and Open Addresses would be really interested to learn more about the situation including the specific legalese, etc.

Have you contacted them?