Over the last few months, we’ve begun and completed several mapping projects. As our team has grown, we’ve needed clear guidance for the team to run a lead a mapping task from inception to completion in line with the best practices of mapping and ensuring the highest quality of contributions to the map.
Mapbox team during a mapping huddle
We have put together a simple guide to how the data team approaches a mapping project on OSM.
Broadly the guide provides a checklist for a project lead to work through during the different phases of a mapping project:
- Inception : Background research on the project and identify the
- Getting Started : Capture scope, tools and mapping workflow on a ticket.
- Trial Workflow : Involve the community in a clear and effective mapping workflow. Do a trial run with a small team to find
do's and don't.
- Scale Up : Train the whole team for scaling up the project.
- Mapping : Publicise the project on relevent channels and involving active members of local OSM community. Constantly monitor progress, and identify tools and process to improve the workflow.
- Wrap Up : Improve mapping documentation, capture statistics and publish a final report on the OSM diary.