Last month, I wrote to the HOT list about transliterating placenames around the world, with an open source crowdsourcing tool called CityNamer. This project uses OSM data and account details, but does not save edits yet.
The goal is to set local language names for areas which have been mapped by foreigners, and to add alternative (likely English) names for areas using local writing systems. One of the top suggestions was Nepal (some places are labeled in English, others are only in Nepali Devanagari text, which isn’t readable to many users).
For OpenStreetMap users
- Sign in with OpenStreetMap
- Set the languages which you can read and write
- Select or create a new project (similar to OSM Task Manager)
- Fill in missing placenames (starting with states, counties, and cities)
For Facebook Messenger
- Have Facebook and Messenger installed on your phone or set up on your computer
- Follow this Messenger link or send a message to this Facebook Page
- Send “hello” or another message
- Choose one of the current language projects
- Submit names until you are done
Again this does not save edits and I am working on crowdsourcing / comparing multiple users’ responses before saving.