SUMO is a free and open traffic simulation suite which is available since 2001. SUMO allows modelling of intermodal traffic systems including road vehicles, public transport and pedestrians.
- This simulator has many options to customise the simulation, options like CO2 emissions on roads, speed limits of the roads etc
- The data for simulation is taken from the OpenStreetMap
Some useful links to help installation of SUMO simulator for
Steps to simulate traffic of a particular region.
Step 1: Download OSM data from Open Street Maps (
Step 2: Run this command to get the .net file required for simulation. (Netconvert imports digital road networks from different sources and generates road networks that can be used by other tools from this package.)
netconvert --osm-files <file_name>.osm -o <file_name>.net.xml --output.street-names true --output.original-names true
Step 3: From the following link copy the additional polygons structures
Step 4: Save the data into a file and name it as ‘typemap.xml’ then run the following command. (Polyconvert imports geometrical shapes (polygons or points of interest) from different sources, converts them to a representation that may be visualized using SUMO-GUI)
polyconvert --net-file <file_name>.net.xml --osm-files <file_name>.osm --type-file typemap.xml -o <file_name>.poly.xml
python /Applications/sumo-0.23.0/tools/trip/randomTrips.py -n <file_name>.net.xml -e 100 -l
python /Applications/sumo-0.23.0/tools/trip/randomTrips.py -n <file_name>.net.xml -r <file_name>.rou.xml -e 100 -l
- After the above steps, the routes have been generated, in the xml file you need to configure the file for the SUMO gui
Step 5: Search for the sumo.cfg file in the sumo folder and copy it to your working folder.
The configuration file should be modified with the following contents:</input>
Step 6: To run the simulator
- Helps one understand how each tag that we use impacts the traffic.
- Helps in, in-depth analysis of the road network that’s established by the OSM data.
- It by default simulates right-hand driving traffic conventions and has no options for left-hand driving conventions.
For more questions.