Opinions differ on how the Notes feature on osm.org should be used. This is something for people how care about the notes feature and are thinking about using it. As an individual mapper I have a clear view on what kind of notes are helpful. Here are some guidelines
Your note should
- be hand made notes by a user, that means not done automatically in any way.
- be verbose at least more than 3 words, probably more.
- contain an specific mappable fact, for example a new name.
- contain the app you are using when the error ocurred, preferrably
Things you should keep in mind:
- do not: use a template to write multiple notes. See rule 1
- do not: use notes as your own notepad while mapping, unless you expect someone else to fix it.
- do not use a script. See rule 1
- do not write: “this area should be mapped better”. See rule 3
Notes that are ok, but could be edge cases in the rules above
- “two unmapped roads here”
- “this area is in development, lots of new houses”
Notes that are really bad:
- “This area needs more details”
- “I was routed left here it should have been right”
- “the told me the speed limit was X but it was really Y”
Really all notes about routing apps are useless, they are too specific to the app to beable to verify.
Further more it would be nice if people were required to be contactable when leaving notes, but I guess I wouldn’t want that either as an anon. And I really want to thank everyone involved in the notes feature.