Zverik has commented on the following diary entries

My thoughts on recent actions of DWG 23 days ago
  1. Your post would hold much better if you abstained from finger-pointing.
  2. It is not internationally recognized that Russia has rights to control Crimea. But I don't think there are any countries that would deny that Russia has control over the territory. Otherwise there would be no sanctions towards Russia.
Speak to JOSM - tags controlled by your voice 25 days ago

This is so awesome. Thanks Matthias!

Der Weg zur SotM 2018 2 months ago

Thanks for this write-up, Christine! It reflects the scope of planning a SotM pretty well, although the actual number of tasks you and other members of the SotMWG team had to do was much higher. Some of these continue even to this day.

Regarding the Code of Conduct, one might think it is not needed because everyone is friendly and people usually don't do anything out of line. But that is not written, it is just a general assumption. When a crowd becomes too big, these assumptions stop working for everyone. Written rules become better and more attractive than unwritten rules. It feels safer if you can tell an offending person (and you cannot guarantee there won't be any) that rules prohibit what they are doing, and to know who to contact if something bad happens. CoC basically does that: it lists examples of what is good and what is not, and outlines steps of action if you are offended by anybody.

It is quite a lot like these green "exit" signs: people usually know where exits are, but when something happens, you need to know the safe route, because your mind does not work well under stress.

OSM Translation Nightmare! 3 months ago

It's simple: OSM has got no architects and no coordination. Every developer here is on their own.

OpenStreetMap Community Statistics Revisited 3 months ago

Michał, maps.me is a commercial product with a roadmap, tight funding and a very limited pool of developers. There are quite a lot of people or NGOs that try to direct maps.me development in their way under "good will" clause. That would work if maps.me team didn't have any goals and just worked on anything they'd like. But alas non-venture-funded world does not work like that.

I would also be very grateful if you stopped asking me specifically to improve maps.me. I was swamped with tasks and burnt out before, so even if I still worked at maps.me, I'd be unable to help you. And now that I left maps.me, I have even less power. Please write your suggestions to dev@maps.me.

Быстрый мапинг подъездов 3 months ago

Кста-а-ати, первые утверждения-то я и не прочитал. Постоянно вижу, как в доме пропущены одна-две квартиры в середине. А в Петербурге вообще ни на что нельзя полагаться.

Быстрый мапинг подъездов 3 months ago

А, ещё. Велосипед — это очень здорово. Пешком собирать подъезды неэффективно. Но есть нюанс: при картировании постоянно нужно останавливаться и ехать снова, а у велосипеда большая инерция и большая энергия старта. Поэтому самокат выходит эффективнее.

Быстрый мапинг подъездов 3 months ago

Как я замапил в прошлом году почти 300 подъездов за три часа: берёшь фотоаппарат и включаешь GPS-трекер. Встаёшь на самокат и щёлкаешь все подъезды по пути, получается 2-3 в минуту, если считать перегоны между домами. Затем дома открываешь всё это в josm и вперёд :)

Когда села батарейка на фотоаппарате, открыл Vespucci и добавлял там заметки — не сами подъезды. Это тоже довольно быстро, но для ускорения приходилось проезжать и запоминать числа для 2-3 подъездов и потом добавлять сразу пачку заметок. Затем дома снова josm и т.д.

On Vector Tiles 5 months ago

Hi Wille, I think you misunderstood the idea of a mup builder a bit. I wasn't writing about a uMap-like functionality to put custom data on top of the map. Neither I was advocating towards a Mapbox Studio-like full-fledged map editor. It was more about a simple sandbox-like experimental, not too complex map style editor, like the one we had with Cloudmade, but even more geared towards showcasing OSM features. It would require a lot of work on the design, but if done right, it will change the outlook of OSM for the best.

Using the website to showcase common features, like geocoding and routing, has helped in the past. Now a lot of people know you can do that with our map. But also in that we are far behind commercial alternatives, with MapCat being one of the best. So by now we have a very bad user-facing site, and instead of going our own way and making the best mapper-facing website, we struggle with making it slightly less bad for general users.

public_transport=stop_position nodes 5 months ago

I think some people would object to placing "railway=halt" / "railway=station" not on tracks.

public_transport tags don't add any information 5 months ago

Why disregard relations? Is "public_transport:version=1" basically a flag that means "this object has no meaning, please ignore but not delete it"? OSM is no place for such objects, imo. Or is it a note like "fixme=*"? In that case, a simple fixme would do, without any special tags.

public_transport tags don't add any information 5 months ago

Jo, why do you insist on using "public_transport:version" tag? It's not like there is software that requires the first one, or that there are two schemas in operation simultaneously. A route is either correct or not. To me (and my validators), a version tag with value of 1 is always an error, one of many, that needs to be fixed. Not a reason to ingore a route.

I think the decision to introduce the version tag was wrong, and I hope it will go away the same as stop positions and public_transport=platform. It does not add any information to a route, but provokes data consumers to make ill-adviced decisions, like ignoring routes or treating them differently — like the proposal for v2 wasn't approved.

public_transport tags don't add any information 5 months ago

You might be glad to know I've finished my proposal for PTv3 which addresses most of your concerns. Thanks for discussing it while in draft stage.

Map-[A]ddiction has Rewards 5 months ago

I am very happy that we as a community have something to offer to such dedicated mappers as you :) Good luck with the awards!

Share your story: Open Gender Monologues 5 months ago

You lost everybody here on "sexism against men".

Схемотехника 17, 17 июля 6 months ago

Спасибо, что используете наши карты, Husim! Постараемся!

Results of OSM user demographic survey now available 6 months ago

Yes, splitting mappers by continent could provide some more insight: for example, in Africa and Asia there is a lot to be mapped, while in Europe modifying existing objects is often required.

Results of OSM user demographic survey now available 6 months ago

Your work is awesome. We frequently talk about numbers, but as far as I remember, nobody before tried to measure what people of different genders map. Thanks for sharing!

CC license map tiles collection 6 months ago

You might have already seen it, but here are two map collections:

Bad netiquette in the community 6 months ago

Previous comments: https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/address%20history%20org/diary/44206#comments