Polyglot has commented on the following diary entries

PT v3 some thoughts 25 days ago

User Weide is proposing something along those lines. For buses just the stops is still ambiguous though, so he wants to add nodes at crossings along the way, to give an indication of the route the bus follows. I don't like that too much, because it moves the burden of calculating and recalculating the which ways belong to the routes to the renderers over and over again. This means it won't be possible to fetch itineraries in a convenient way.

It may be a bit more practical for mappers, but it's a lot less useful for renderers.

PT v3 some thoughts 26 days ago

Hi Mr_Brown,

There hasn't. It would be very hard to accomplish technically and most mappers' opinion is that timetables don't belong in OpenStreetMap. Even if we would come up with a scheme, it would be really hard for contributors to keep those timetables up to date in OSM.

Ilya privyet,

The version number isn't all that important. I'm indeed trying to get everybody to map the same way, but I'd like to see it done in a scalable mapping scheme that is simple enough for anybody to understand, but expressive enough to go very deep in detail where needed/wanted.

Jo

OSM Provided Services Are Not a Safe Place about 1 month ago

Don't Panic!

Frustration about iD editor's inability to easily draw rectangular buildings about 1 month ago

Hi Andy,

Full disclosure, the HOT mailing list is one of the few that I'm absent from. I also think the iD editor is pretty good for beginner level mapping. Unfortunately one major thing it's lacking is an easy tool for adding rectangular buildings that don't end up as meaningless area=yes closedways.

My personal preference is to get people started on JOSM right away, but having tried that, I know it's not easy either and mapper retention is definitely not higher.

So I was not reacting to the whole preceding discussion on that particular mailing list and I'm definitely not trying to attack Bryan personally in any way. I think he did an amazing job developing iD further.

Hi Komяpa, Bryan is already used to being upset by me. :-) I left him alone for many months now. There actually are developers, but they are spread thin, as OSM is very broad.

-karlos- I don't use iD either, but I am, occasionally, presented with the hubris in its wake.

There is indeed a function to square an area, if it's not too irregular, at least. There is also an extensive tutorial explaining what's the shortest way to developing RSI or a tennis elbow for people wanting to use it to draw more than a handful buildings. It is indeed annoying that one has to deselect and select again for 's' to work, I'd also call that a bug (but not out loud, don't want to upset Bryan TOO much either now).

Fixing that issue is not the solution to this problem though. A whole new map mode dedicated to drawing rectangular buildings is. I fail to understand why it has to take many years to actually develop this feature. I'm not much of a programmer myself though, so maybe I'm severely underestimating the required mathematics and analysis involved...

What is really needed is a new button next to point, line and area that says: building. The areas it draws would be rectangular right away, and tagged building=yes.

And this is not a problem that only regards HOT mapping, so unsubscribing from that mailing list won't help much, if anything. The reason why the problem becomes apparent to HOT mappers is that there is an extra step involved in mapping for HOT projects, performed by validatorsj, a species endangered by extinction.

Time is valuable, using it to contribute for others :) 3 months ago

Hi Agatha,

You know what would be very useful too? There are projects on tasks.hotosm.org in Bangladesh too, like this one:

You can find them by typing a search term. The advantage you have is that you would have a very good idea what you're looking at, when on familiar terrain.

If you like, I can show you how to map more efficiently with JOSM by having a Google hangout or Skype talk.

Polygllot

GSoC 2017 PT_Assistant plugin for JOSM 3 months ago

What do you think of this list?

Maybe you also want to add to it. I might try to program some of those myself, or I'll use the easier ones to test candidates for next summer's GSoC.

I think there is definitely still room for improvement. One issue is that it should be easier to verify what will be done when using the fix button. Visualisation, but that's a hard nut to crack.

GSoC Diary: Conclusion 4 months ago

For the time being you can start to learn how to create models and create some. You might also want to document your "learning path", so others can follow more easily. (Myself included, I have no idea how to get started with Blender for drawing models of buildings and structures either)

I realise it's less attractive to do so, if the models aren't readily accessible, but it's good to know that that's in the pipeline.

Cheers,

Jo

GSoC Diary: Conclusion 4 months ago

Google has a project where they pay a stipend to students to improve Free Software projects.

So our software is improved and Google is paying for it, so that's nice of them.

You add the OBJ to the website and declare there to which OSM object it belongs. Pointing in the other direction comes later, if I understood correctly.

Don't know the answer to question 3. It's all fairly 'cutting edge' :-)

Jo

GSoC 2017 JOSM 4 months ago

That's odd. It might be related to having Expert Mode switched on.

Jo

GSoC Diary: Conclusion 4 months ago

In a previous diary entry n42k mention he used https://www.blender.org/ to convert the model of the Eiffel tower to Wavefront OBJ format.

I guess it would be possible to use it directly, but most of us probably need some tutorials first, before we can do anything useful.

Using Wikidata data, fixing wrong wikipedia and wikidata tags 4 months ago

Mateusz, is there a SPARQL query we can use ourselves in JOSM to download this for an area? I realise we would miss the descriptions in that case.

Jo

GSoC Diary: Conclusion 4 months ago

I must admit I didn't follow this project closely, so maybe this is a dumb question...

Is there a tag on the OSM side that indicates a model is available for a feature on the map?

Jo

diary spam 4 months ago

I'm not much of a programmer. Next summer is still rather far away, but if it's possible to define what needs to be done, maybe we can formulate it as a GSoC task for 2018?

Or maybe it's something for the EWG to tackle?

Jo

Preparing for my first JOSM workshop - Tips/Suggestions? 4 months ago

Hi Andre,

I created some scripts to automatically set up JOSM preconfigured with some interesting settings for a Mapathon:

This works on Windows and Linux. The precondition is that Java is already installed though. Do the participants bring their own computers?

Jo

Belarus in Belarusian + bilingual / trilingual / quadrilingual names in Europe 4 months ago

I don't think it should be done by bots, but having a tool that changes the name of a whole street in one go would probably be beneficial to the result. Fully automated is almost never how things are done on OpenStreetMap, but it would be good that all objects with the same name, change at the same time.

Polyglot

The case for highway=trunk on Texas frontage roads 4 months ago

Hi Clay,

I see highway=trunk as somewhere between highway=primary and highway=motorway, referring to their importance.

If the inner dual carriageway is highway=primary, I would tag the outer secondary or tertiary.

If you want those to look more important, you could use highway=primary/secondary for the outer pair and highway=trunk for the inner pair. If the inner pair resembles a freeway, that is.

San Diego County Bus Stops and Bus Routes 4 months ago

Do you think you might be able to mobilize some people to go out and make Mapillary/OpenStreetCam pictures of the stops?

What is interesting to know is whether there is a bench/waste bin/shelter and whether there is a platform area where people wait. If the kerb is higher to make it easier for wheelchair users to alight the bus/tram, that is also interesting information. Also if there are tactile_paving tiles or a button giving audible information for blind people (not exactly sure how they are supposed to find those buttons, but OK). Anyway, those are just some attention points if you're out there to make pictures anyway.

The most important is, of course, to make sure you get the name of the stop, to compare with what's in those GTFS files (no abbreviations). If those ref numbers are on them so the public can see them, then it's really good to take note of them, as it will make it easier to know which stop belongs to which route (automatically) later on.

What I also like to do, is take note of the line numbers and store those in route_ref, separated by semicolons. When surveying, it's usually easy to add them. And when creating the route relations it's convenient to have them.

San Diego County Bus Stops and Bus Routes 4 months ago

Hi,

I hope I won't discourage you. I just downloaded San Diego in JOSM using the Overpass Query you find here (This will result in a dataset that only has PT related objects):

Mapping public transport for an area like that is going to take a while. It's probably best to do it line by line. First map all the stops, then connect them using route relations.

I see you use JOSM, that's great! We created a plugin called PT_Assistant, which might be an enormous help.

If you like we can do a Hangout or Skype conversation and I can show you how it works.

I also created some screencast videos: