Yes, sorry, it is long overdue to share -- shortly after SotM, I took leave after the birth of my son, and only finding space to pick this up with the upcoming Board Face to Face.
There were many solid ideas, and of course further discussion. Would love to find several avenues to explore these. I think one could be the Advisory Board, which will include representatives from official Local Chapters. For "incubating" local chapters, maybe we discuss ideas on the local chapters mailing list. For communication ideas, we should figure out the right place...
Dorothea took thorough notes from the session. Posting the summary below.
Organising local communities
How OSMF Could Help?
- Add new "tier" to Local Chapters for semi-formal groups not ready to register as a formal organization or full Local Chapter status
- Subsidize some costs of groups in poor communities, including support for accessing internet and computer equipment
For OSMF membership
- 2-level tier for membership fee, to include mappers from poorer countries
- Vetting of members at lower membership fee by local chapter
Other fundraising options for local groups:
- Ask local companies
- Mapathons at places (like bars / coffee shops) which donate percentage of the proceeds
- On membership signup, option to donate additional amounts
- Restart equipment (GPS / phones / laser distance devices) lending program, either from OSMF, or between local communities
- Legal questions on OSM activities in places like Pakistan
- Groups as part of larger organisations
- Organize national level donation collection through non profit associations for tax benefit, then donate to support OSMF
- Central OSM-supplied platform for social aspects, there is fragmentation between communication tools (lists, some people find IRC/forum unappealing, FB, etc) ** The platform should also be helpful for organisation purposes (i.e easy past message retrieval)
- Creation of map that has local groups with contact details on it
- Tickbox on sign-up page to accept push-notifications
- Short video (maybe localised) before the first tutorial in iD, that explains what OSM is all about
- Identifying & contacting new mappers as they join -- Belgium and Switzerland have models
Build tool to contact new mappers. The welcoming message will, ideally ** be personalised ** push people to come into contact with local groups ** let them know options available ** mention local upcoming events ** also, it will be followed-up after a few weeks/month (people have limited time)
Possible revitalisation of Welcome WG
Friendly reminders to decrease duration of mapping inactivity
- Drop-down list with current news (national/regional) on osm.org