malenki has commented on the following diary entries

Missing Maps Mapathon Edinburgh, episode 2 2 months ago

For armchair mapping:

I am convinced that mapping from remote is useful and that a lot of persons with good common knowledge can do it with good results after a basic explanation with some examples with hopefully some on-the-ground photos.
For example one could explain: Big highways (primary or trunk) connect big cities, smaller highways (secondary, tertiary) connect smaller ones and between a lot of residential houses highway=residential is mostly appropriate. It doesn't matter if the surface is paved or not.

Even if the imagery is quite old it is unlikely that (major) highways disappear or inhabited places vanish completely.

Not sure what task(s) you worked at, but for example in ebola regions the organisations first hand needed to know where the people lived and how to get there. If you map all the houses (or the residential area) and the ways connecting them better guesses or even calculations can be made. It doesn't matter if you overlooked a dozen houses in a town or accidentially chose the wrong category of highway – the settlement and the street is there and thanks to you the people can be helped.

Gebäudemapping in Neubaugebieten mit GPS und ohne Luftbilder 3 months ago

Es ging offenbar etwas verloren: | quer zur Richtung der Achse weniger stark aus, da sich die Achse | Innendienst

Zum Vereinigen von Ebenen kann man auch ctrl-m drücken.

Zum Thema: vor ein paar Jahren habe ich eine Siedlung mit GPS+Fotokamera (statt WPT zu setzen) erfasst. 20 Minuten Erfassung, 5 Stunden am Rechner… ;)

Editing of our travels in Iran completed 3 months ago

Thank you. I will have a look at it.

Editing of our travels in Iran completed 3 months ago

Is there a place where you wrote about your travels?

Erste OSM-Map erstellt. 3 months ago

Eigene Kacheln auf eigenem Server sind imho nur erstrebenswert, wenn man wirklich viel Besucher hat oder einen eigenen Stil rendern will. Sat-Bilder: nimm doch die von Bing oder gar MapBox.

Zum Erstellen an sich: Ich hatte (und hab noch immer) nicht viel Ahnung von html&co, aber ein paar Vorlagen hernehmen und anpassen ging eigentlich recht einfach.

Evtl magst du auch einmal umap anschauen? Dort kann man sich Verschiedenstes recht bequem zusammenbauen.

Japan, why are you so beautiful? 3 months ago

Like a lot of things the visualized data of Japan may look beautiful – but a close look makes you shiver. I am thinking of the imports I had a look at and for which I assume the most errors still won't be fixed.

Böse Überraschung 3 months ago

Wenn ein ausgeschilderter Wanderweg über einen Weg führt, der nicht öffentlich begehbar ist, hat entweder der Wanderwegwart geschlampt oder der Bauer hat gelogen.

In jedem Fall solltest du dich bei der Verwaltung der Kommune erkundigen, wer den Weg verantwortet und pflegt und um eine Lösung dieses Unfugs bitten.

(und sorry für den späten Kommentar ;) )

Time for a 'Map Your Outdoors Adventure' party! 3 months ago

May I link to an older blog post of mine? Walking Albania about 350 km for a second time was a great experience an an adventure no less. :)

(I had this blog post of your as tab in my browser since it's publication, now finally happen to comment it. :) )

Mapillary 3 months ago

I doubt the usability of this tag. Mapillary tends to have several pictures of one object, image=link_to_picture should be sufficient.

Besides, everybody should be able to research on his own if there are any images of an object in wikimedia, flickr, mapillary, google streeview etc.

A look at Scout Signs 4 months ago

Hi Martijn,

thanks for the reply. Bea and I exchanged some more emails and sorted everything out so far I think.
What bothers me with the offset of the scout signs placements to reality is that I assume there will be some mappers who "correct" the data in OSM to the scout signs. Since there is already an offset of 20+m at 30km/h (where I know the location of the sings and could measure) I'd assume a quite bigger offset on higher speeds.

untrue size of Berlin's Memorial of Europe's murdered Jews 4 months ago

I don't have more knowledge as described above. The aerial imagery is not too good, too. Maybe the operating foundation is willing to share some data?

A look at Scout Signs 4 months ago

RM87, no problem. The funny thing is after reading the first six words I knew where you wanted to post this answer. :)

key:xmas 4 months ago

Thanks for reminding me to clean up some Christmas markets other mappers did map but didn't update. :)

6000 EUR for OpenStreetMap 4 months ago

PS: You may also have a look at the last paragraph here

6000 EUR for OpenStreetMap 4 months ago

You may see the FOSSGIS as German local chapter. So far no "real" local chapter of the OSMF exists afaik.

When you speak German you may also have a look at the FOSSGIS' website of why, how and what the FOSSGIS does regarding OSM and of requests for funding.

6000 EUR for OpenStreetMap 4 months ago

The FOSSGIS e.V. is the registered association in Germany which handles "official" OSM stuff. Since lately woodpeck aka Frederik Ramm (who is quite well known) is the treasurer of the FOSSGIS.

Smartphone mounts 5 months ago

@Bruno: Agree to your observations regarding blurred images du to shake/lack of light (or better: slow lens). Despite that there remains a big amount of good images – as of today all Mapillary imagery in Albania is by me, mostly done while walking, so have a look at it. :)

Project #OSMselfie: Put a human face on edits 5 months ago

I meant this parking lot, sorry I was unspecific.
For me your image still doesn't work. Tried with FF, Opera and Midori.

Project #OSMselfie: Put a human face on edits 5 months ago

Your selfie doesn't show:
no selfie
One of me you can find at http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/malenki/diary/23409, another at my profile. And yes, both are during surveying (in Albania).

btw: why did you delete the parking lot?
Changing the tags to "landuse=contruction" would have been sufficient – and had kept the history…

GORDON'S ALIVE 6 months ago

@Richard: Well done – despite me preferring JOSM very much @Stalfur: what a luck that people using JOSM and iD are so ell trained they never make errors. :)
There is a 14-pages thread in the German forum for bad edits done by inexperienced users combined with the way iD used to handle landuses.