My wife have recently been on a holiday in Europe, and one of the things she brought back was a Garmin Nüvi 50 Car Navigation System (with preinstalled maps of western Europe with speed camera information). Western Europe map is close to useless for me, so I quickly dived into the fountain of wisdom called the OpenStreetMap wiki, as well with other GPS and Garmin sources
After trying a bit different sources, copying maps in different formats to different places on my GPS I found the following to work:
- Go to Garmin Dashboard WebResource
- Install the plugin they suggest
- Go to garmin.openstreetmap.nl
- Select the map regions of your interest, along with stylesheet, etc, and generate
- Download the gmapsupp.img file, zipped
- Unpack it to Garmin Device root.System\ folder
- Replace your gmapsupp.img over the existing gmapprom.img
I liked the interface of garmin.openstreetmap.nl, the only thing that wasn't completely clear to me was source age (are they generated from minutely updates? daily updates? weekly updates?
I am now just looking for an opertunity to take my GPS for a spin to see how good the maps are. AND: When I see something wrong on the GPS, I can take up my iPhone or iPad and correct it on the fly with Go Map!!, that way next time I download a map, it's already corrected.
Next step will be to find out how I get POI displayed in a zane way on my Garmin Nüvi 50 device