Hawkeye has commented on the following diary entries

Adding housenumbers over 2 years ago

great stuff! looks excellent.

Rahim Yar Khan, Pakistan over 2 years ago

Welcome to OpenStreetMap, good luck!

Well Done Edinburgh Council almost 3 years ago

This is great, do we know who was behind this? Edinburgh Council also link to Cyclestreets http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/1504/walking_and_cycling (generic link)

Copying from OS Locator about 3 years ago

I have been adding lots of names from Locator in Scotland but always added source:name and tried my best not to disturb what's already there. adding not:name when it has been surveyed and FIXME if I think it's worth double checking. I don't think it necessary puts people off contributing and makes the map much more usable. I take on board what you are saying and will continue with caution.

Experience about 3 years ago

If we had a special award for being arrested in the pursuit of mapping excellence, I would nominate you! Did you show them you had been a member of OSM for 3 years, and the thousands for edits you had made? Or did they think this an elaborate ruse?

Hidden homes about 3 years ago

Don't forget treehouses too!

Created an account over 3 years ago

Welcome and good luck. Hopefully the learning curve is easier than ever but if you have any problems there is always someone willing to help.

noob over 3 years ago

Welcome to OSM. Thanks for contributing. It is a wee bit addictive...

art renderer over 3 years ago

tourism=artwork is in the potlatch editor but not rendered on the mapnik map. you could tag artwork tourism=attraction. but probably best to ask to get it rendered on the main mapnik map. or make your own map. for a basic static map to print for instance try maperitive software. you can customize the map to your liking. Not sure the best place to ask for changes to the mapnik map. hopefully someone else can help.

Ye olde tale of the landuse=farmland tag over 3 years ago

I have tried mapping a farm in detail to work this through. I kept changing my mind on different aspects - tagging some fields as farmland and others as grass. In the end, I feel landuse=farmland isn't very descriptive. Perhaps farmland=grazing, farmland=arable. Would add more detail. Fences and hedges look great and are useful landmarks for walkers etc, so I would urge people if they have the time to map them, rather than putting blobs of farmland on the map. But, you know, as long as people are adding new info and its vaguely accurate, then eventually those big blobs become fine detail.

Have a look at my attempt here:

Adding landuse over 3 years ago

There plenty of ideas here for natural/landuse mapping:

Some of the tagging scheme still needs working out. So if you are Wiki writing inclined, or want to learn - join the debate and help improve the Wiki

osm is turning me into a botanist over 3 years ago

Testing this further for an area e.g. wood, you could try tagging cover:Ganzania=10%

otherwise, using taxon or genus:30%= won't work if there are two species with 30% coverage. The value has to be unique. I have updated the taxon page to reflect this.

Three years of dragging my GPS around with me... over 3 years ago

I assure you, that was no waste of time or computing power! :-)

osm is turning me into a botanist over 3 years ago

Hi aharvey,

I'm interested to record taxonomic and habitat infomation too. I would suggest looking at this page http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:taxon

I would record taxon:35%=Ganzania rigens . Useful to remember that percentage cover can add up to over 100% because there are multiple layers/canopies within a habitat. Another method which is common, DAFOR (Dominant, Abundant, Frequent, Occasional, Rare) which is often quicker to record and less need for a meter square or measuring an area. taxon:D=Ganzia rigens

I've been working on a wiki for recording habitats (bare bones at the moment) http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Habitat

Links from Last nights pub meeting over 3 years ago

Hi Bob, one more link we discussed for keeping an eye on your favourite areas:

It was a good night, 9 people in attendance and four new faces.

My first day of actual mapping over 3 years ago

Good work! I have an OSM surveyor hi-viz jacket too. I think the jacket improves your mapping ability by at least 25% :-) but for clarification, you don't need one to start mapping!

WebGL Earth: OpenStreetMap in 3D. Coming soon almost 4 years ago

Can't wait!

Getting Started almost 4 years ago

I like your map painting btw! I used a program called Kosmos http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Kosmos for rendering one off maps, should also be able to add your own custom icons too. There is a newer version called Maperitive but I haven't tried that yet.

Motivation (or how to get more of it) almost 4 years ago

Great idea, I think it would be nice to have a bit of positive feedback like badges and cups etcs.

Google Maps as a WMS source? over 4 years ago

good luck with a second life map - always thought it would be best to project in a 3D globe using Marble. second life is very 'flat earth' at the moment.