mcld has commented on the following diary entries

Observations during a HOT task over 3 years ago

Hi - just a couple of responses:

Routing would be impossible.

In HOT tasks we do get a good proportion of enthusiastic newcomers, who sometimes don't understand the routing aspect of mapping. It's a job we have, to educate contributors. If you have the time, please feel free to send a (friendly!) message to the mapper who did that.

the probability that anyone corrects our HOT data inputs from a survey is pretty remote.

Not as remote as you might think: maybe it's unlikely the locals will correct it, but some of the NGOs that actively use our mapping will do so.

IMHO if two vehicles travelling in opposite directions cannot pass each other without one of them going off-road then it should be defined as a track even if the HOT instructions state otherwise!

That doesn't sound right. There are lots of countryside roads here in Britain where vehicles can't pass each other, yet they're definitely not tracks.

If you cannot recognise the highway classification then you should default to the lower class.

My opinion is that if you cannot decide the classification, you should use highway=road which means "Road with an unknown classification".

This is a Test over 3 years ago

Hi!

Improving the OSM map - Why don't we? [2] over 3 years ago

In this case OSM's tagging is working very well, and your problem is very clearly explained: your Garmin is not presenting the information in the way that you want. Put the blame in the correct place.

Improving the OSM map - Why don't we? [2] over 3 years ago

Marc, if you think that a chain tool is very basic to a bicycle repair station, then surely it is very useful for someone to tag that there isn't a chain tool? Since otherwise, people such as yourself would assume that there is one.

In general it's useful to tag whenever an object has a property that deviates from the "default". The "default" often depends on assumptions (which should ideally be written down, e.g. in the wiki) or local laws/rules.

Power Generation tagging, and a rather neat way of tagging wind farms over 3 years ago

Oh I like this use of the site relation - neat

The trouble with the ODbL - summarized over 3 years ago

Firstly let's all assume good faith. Take the document on its merits, don't accuse it of being spun simply because it's funded. That said:

Alex, regarding point 3, the OSMF Community Guidelines do in fact help to define "Substantial" and "Produced Work":

I know these guidelines are not part of the licence, but as guidelines officially endorsed by OSMF, I would expect most jurisdictions to consider them as normative.

It's not really appropriate for you to call it "guesswork" when some people in OSMF have specifically worked to produce concrete, quantitative guidance.

Thank you for your trust! over 3 years ago

Simon, let me say thank you for all your work!

London: Searching for Globe Town over 3 years ago

UPDATE: thanks to the National Library of Scotland for providing old OS maps as slippy maps. I happened to notice the old OS map has a label for Globe Town, so I decided to use that as a good guide for placement.

Vital signs of maps - monthly maps of mapping progress in Iceland over 3 years ago

En flott :)

Who drew this street or: A rant about the "history" feature of OSM over 3 years ago

IOOI, I think many of us want the feature you've described, and have wanted it for years. However there's a technical issue holding it back. Changesets have bounding boxes (bboxes) stored in their basic metadata, so it's very easy to run a database query to find "all changesets that cover this area". Unfortunately, if you want to find out if a particular changeset actually affects an area, you can't just look at the changeset metadata - you'd need to retrieve all the nodes/ways/relations affected in the changeset, and recurse down into the objects they contain or no-longer-contain, and then see if any of those lies in the area. Technically possible but a total pain to code properly, and even harder to make efficient, I guess!

The OWL service was a great idea for a better history tab. As far as I can tell they put a load of effort in but then it didn't progress further. Not sure why. Probably just the amount of volunteer effort available.

Just noticed I've passed 350 edits over 3 years ago

Congratulations! Happy 350th! :)

iD is fine for a lot of purposes. The main times you start to need JOSM are when you're doing big jobs like tracing hundreds of buildings. That's when JOSM's advanced features make the workflow faster, but of course it takes time to learn it.

We can no longer go on like this almost 4 years ago

The ability to "write protect special objects" is an interesting idea - it's a lot like the mediawiki idea of "protected pages" (which can't be edited by newcomers). I like the idea of that, as long as it's restricted to a small number of really special/breakable objects such as coastlines. I'd suggest that the protected objects should be editable only if your user account is more than X months old AND has made more than Y edits. It seems to me that, as with wikipedia, as long as we remember not to apply this lock too widely (which would inhibit contribution), it could help.

5 dreams/ proposals for OSM headquarters (please comment) almost 4 years ago

The MapSurfer link doesn't work for me (doesn't show any tiles), so I can't comment. But I think most people agree the Mapnik style ain't too pretty.

But if you think the Mapnik style is bad, PLEASE don't try to ruin all the other map styles too by piling a load of extra symbols onto the bike/transport/humanitarian styles! The more extra crud you add to a rendering style, the less readable and useful you make it for its designed purpose.

(My number one hope for OSM.org right now is adding routing to the website!)

Contributor numbers revisited and empty changesets galore almost 4 years ago

Empty changesets are possible?? Gosh that surprises me.

This must add bloat to the database and to various dumps without any benefit, surely? Should we consider perhaps that the server should return an error when something attempts to record an empty changeset?

cycle.travel now has OSM-powered bike routing for Western Europe almost 4 years ago

By the way Richard, just this morning TFL recommended me a comically wrong cycle route in East London. So I went to cycle.travel/map and got the right route :)

Richard: IGNORE ME. I use Privacy Badger addon and it was inadvertently blocking the nominatim calls. Sorry.

Hooray!

In the search boxes, postcode lookup is easy, but if I search for something simple like "Bolton" to "Manchester" I just get both boxes beachballing. I think you might find some people surprised that they can't just type in normal placenames like that.

India Villages almost 4 years ago

yalla: zoom in on the image :) you can see that each village is a black dot.

this visualisation has a lovely texture

Tracing Baiji, Iraq almost 4 years ago