dcp has commented on the following diary entries

GSoC Diary: Conclusion 14 days ago

To Polyglot and n42k.

Thanks to both of you for your response. I'll just have to be patient, won't I?

GSoC Diary: Conclusion 17 days ago

n24k:

1. I am a bit confused. What has a "Google summer of code" got to do with OSM?

2. If I do create Wavefront OBJ in Blender, how do I add them to OSM?

3. What renderers are available that would recognize and render them? Would F4 demo do the job?

I would like to understand if the whole chain of events is possible before I start learning how to create OBJs in Blender.

GSoC Diary: Conclusion 18 days ago

n24k: Thanks. I have downloaded Blender and it seems I have a lot of leaning before me. I would like to model the most important buildings in my small town and add them to OSM. I assume that Blender is suitable for this purpose. As I am a complete novice it will take time of course. Have you any further hints. Note: I see there are tutorials so I assume that it would be wise to start with them.

GSoC Diary: Conclusion 19 days ago

This is a real dumb question. What software do yo need to create these 3D models fit for OSM?

Does anyone even check what HOTOSM contributors leave behind? about 1 month ago

I have only contributed to one or two HOT requests and I did not return as I thought (maybe wrongly) that the quality of the data being added was mostly wrong and/or worthless to the HOT mission in question and to OSM as well.

I also considered the HOT specific tagging lacked the connection to the HOT team request and therefore there was very little chance of it being corrected or removed.

Here is one example:

HOT requested the users to identify possible helicopter landing pads. This is almost impossible to do using Bing as you cannot judge the ground inclination but I tried anyway. If these pads had a specific HOT tag then they could easily be removed once the HOT task in question is declared over by the HOT authorities (or an OSM user volunteer).

Examples of specific HOT-tags:
hottag=heli_pad
hottag=school

Notes save lives. 7 months ago

Well done and thanks.

Weekly roundup of edits about 1 year ago

There are two comments to your changes pertinent to

and

Hadjer Lamis, Chad - Tracing guide (villages and buildings) over 1 year ago

user=carlitos gomez has already added nodes tagged with place=hamlet. Would it be sufficient to add a second tag with structures=n. It would be very quick to do, but is it sufficient for your purpose? Can you provide a boundary box. We don't want to do more than required!

Nonsense values of shop= key over 1 year ago

When I joined OSM in 2008, most of my home town was a white space. Being retired and needing something to do I started mapping but it would have been impossible to collect all the related OSM data using all the right tags at that beginning.

There was no Bing or anything similar in those days so it was a Garmin and Dictaphone. It did not worry me in any way that my data was incomplete or faulty though! After 8 years other locals have signed up and improved on my original entries, geometrical, geographically and tagging.

Isn't that what it is all about BushmanK? Please, just carry on surveying and improve the data. Remember that the mapping standards are often different from country to country and some mappers go to extraordinary lengths to map useless things; eg a roller coaster track, where a single node would do the job.

Sanderd17 comment is extremely relevant: In Belgian they understand what is needed and meant.

PS A shop selling flowers, gifts and alcohol could be defined as shop=florist;gift;alcohol couldn't it? A good renderer could cope with this syntax!

Platte River now has banks over 1 year ago

Please don't confuse newbies! area=riverbank should not exist: Try waterway=riverbank

Instant Marquee Hire over 1 year ago

Spam! Please don't use this site for advertisements.

Don't know what to think of it of this research over 2 years ago

IMHO he should not get his Master degree just because of his behavior. An academic does not destroy the work of others!

Der Stadtplandienst mit neuer Technik und OpenStreetMap ist online over 2 years ago

THIS IS VERY WELL DONE!

It is a town map using OSM data showing the different aspects of OSM in overlays.

Have a look and play with it: It shows where OSM could end up eventually and it has been produced by the town's administrators, i.e. the bureaucrats.

Has any town done it better?

Give us your favourite links.

Observations during a HOT task over 2 years ago

Thanks to all of you for responding to my observations: You are a wonderful group and all your opinions are, of course, valid.

I did contact the newbies and they did positively respond.

It would be nice if some of the NGOs would give us some feedback on the quality of our efforts but I suppose they have higher priority tasks to do. That is why they are on the spot, sometimes risking their lives!

Observations during a HOT task over 2 years ago

The width of the truck tracks were easily visible due to the two tyre markings. Yes, they did disappear under trees now and again but one can assume that if the tracks are identifiable for one sector then they they will carry on underneath the foliage.

IMHO if two vehicles travelling in opposite directions cannot pass each other without one of them going off-road then it should be defined as a track even if the HOT instructions state otherwise!

Paths of about 1 meter width were also identifiable as such and they often connected different homesteads.

On this HOT task, highway width could usually be measured in JOSM.

This is a personal opinion: If you cannot recognise the highway classification then you should default to the lower class.

Please remember that the probability that anyone corrects our HOT data inputs from a survey is pretty remote. These are vast areas with no OSM contributors on the ground.

Another data input which we were asked for was to identify potential helicopter landing pads (near the homesteads) and tag them with leisure=common. No information was available as to the minimum diameter (I asked). It was not possible to judge the slant but that is OK: The pilot has to make his own judgment.

Of course I complied but I don't like the idea of entering data into the database that is wrong. Who is going to remove it? If the HOT team want this information then we should have a special tag for this purpose that can easily be globally removed. What I mean is something like:

hot_tag=helipad

expire_year=2016

It's elegant they said. It will be eaiser to change street names they said. over 2 years ago

Like Sanderd17 I see no advantage in using associatedstreet relation and for exactly the same reasons. Get rid of it!

Addressing over 2 years ago

I am presently redoing the houses and addresses in my small home town and I am lucky to say that I have it very, very easy compared with you lot.

The NRW-Landesvemessungamt (Germany, North-Rhein-Palitnate Surveying Bureau) have released the vector data and address data to OSM so it easy to check and modify the OSM data accordingly. It is however not always up to date so its usage should be self restricted to those with some local knowledge.

On the other hand I sometimes wonder if it is worth all the effort to enter address data when any cheap navigation device (like my Tom-Tom) takes you point-to-point anyway. Do we really think that the OSM routing data will be any better than that that is now readily available. It happens all the time: Newbies (who we want) come in and change the data and cannot initially see the complex relation data already in the data base. This happens because we cherish the newbies more than we cherish the stored data. i.e. Newbies have priority.

In my humble opinion we should collect data which is useful and not readily available. By this I mean POIs (all of them) with their attributes. Rambling (walking) routes should be another priority, even higher than other routes. This is especially true of holiday destinations.

Of course some of you will disagree. That is fine: Don't worry, just carry on and do it your way and enjoy yourself while doing it.

... over 2 years ago

Ich danke auch die Landesvemessungamt für diese Daten. Ich vertrete auch die Meinung von flohoff: Wir in NRW haben diesen Daten auch bezahlt. Also ist eine kostenlose Nützung eigentlich angebracht aber nicht eine selbsverständlichkeit. Ob die anderen Bundesländer folgen werden können wir nur hofen.

Belgian Mapper of the Month: Guy Roman almost 3 years ago

Change the photo and user name and it would be a description of me except I have been retired for 20 years.

Taglocator almost 3 years ago

I like it and will definitely use it. In fact I already done. Deleted one confestionary and added a Pizza shop (have to gather the attribute details though). Well done.