Skippern has commented on the following diary entries

Top OSM Rank: Who are these crazy, amazing people? 25 days ago

I don't know if I should be proud or embarrassed getting on the list.....

Which camera for capturing 'Street View'? about 2 months ago

Just got my VIRB Elite a few days ago, and are trying to upload with the video upload on Mapillary, but either there is some form of size restrictions I cannot figure out, or my internet connection isn't good enough. I am therefor looking for a good way of transforming the videos to georeferenced photos I can upload with the upload_with_authentication.py

30000000 about 2 months ago

I wager we have the 35th million changeset by October 2015

Brasil espelha o Google Maps 2 months ago

Voce pode ser um formiga, mas somos um armada de formigas, nenhuma empresa tem condições pagar para observações na rua dos 2.000.000 contribuintes do OSM, mas nosso pagamento e nosso mapa

Terminal e linha para definir Pipe 2 months ago

Um bom ferramento para imagens georeferenciadas e o Mapillary, voce pode instalar um aplicativo no seu smartphone e cadastrar no site mapillary.com, o iD ja tem este como um camada, e outros editores também to em processo a adiciona-lo

Mapa interativo com Mapbox 4 months ago

Legal projeto, espera que podemos adicionar mais camadas no futuro

Procura-se ajuda para fazer o OpenStreetMap em português 4 months ago

Como diz no IRC, pode lidera um grupo de mapeamento náutica, e pode participar ajudar um grupo do rodovias federais

Relato do Encontro OSM Brasília - Janeiro/2015 4 months ago

Também quer participar em reuniões, ou eventos sociais assim. Uma vez consegui encontrar com Arlindo no Rio, mas fora desse so tinha contato virtual com meus colegas mapeadoras. Infelizmente não tenho tempo para organizar, mas se algum fazendo um evento quando passando, ou se tem um encontro no Grande Vitoria enquanto to em casa, vou.

Voting is bullshit 5 months ago

Also, even badly documented wiki-pages using the KeyDescription or ValueDescription templates already tell you a lot about the tag usage, from there it should not be too hard to evaluate how useful it is, in what combinations it have been used, etc.

People should not be afraid of making a useless wiki-page, those templates provide enough to say, in most cases, that the documentation is at worst thin, but never useless. Complex schemes need some more though.

Voting is bullshit 5 months ago

@imagic: I agree that the process is not good, it is actually horrible. And in many cases I have seen the proposal being edited several times during "the voting period", which actually should render all previous votes invalid. I have also seen other documented tags being altered in order to affect the voting result (why should we approve this when that already mean the same (edited 3 days into the vote)).

The proposal page must be frozen before the vote

Documentation of affected tags must not be edited during vote

A significant portion of people should vote, principally those with knowledge of a specific field if one talks about deep-defining tags within special areas (such as electro-people to have much weight into what tags are useful, sensible, etc in tagging a generator)

At the moment the "status" of the documented tags take up too much space (too vivid colours, too large font type), and some people are throwing in templates for this tag have not been proposed or this tag have been rejected. The only template I find useful in this case is this tag have been deprecated by new tag

As a data consumer documentation about the usage of tags, and the availability of additional information that can hint me to how best parse the tags is good, I like TagInfo since I can compare the global usage with my specific area of interest, what combinations are common, etc. Should I bother to make rules parsing name to a feature existing millions but only two have been named? TagInfo can tell me something about that. And a good wiki-documentation can also give me some indications there.

Voting is bullshit 5 months ago

There are unfortunately some diehard voting-nazis (yes I mean that negatively), that are quick to delete wiki-pages for tags they don't like etc. I once had an edit-war on wiki because I suggested an data enhancement of maxheight by adding maxheight:physical and maxheight:legal, where my page on maxheight:legal immediately was deleted because maxheight means maxheight:legal.

I still managed to create my page, IMO maxheight is generic while maxheight:physical and maxheight:legal is equally more specific. Is there a reason to separate these values? If not than body use maxheight, if there is a deeper reason to specify maxheight:physical, what makes that different from maxheight:legal? Is maxheight the same as maxheight:legal in every country or does some countries differ from that rule?

When working with maxheight I got the impression that (at least the guy who deleted my page) lived in a country where maxheight means maxheight:legal, while I live in a country where the two are equally different.

In my opinion it is more important to document on wiki the tags that are in use, albeit in a relatively small area or by a very limited interest. Or specially in those cases.

TagInfo speaks for itself, and as every wiki-page using the templates for Key and Tag-values implement a info-box about usage inherited from TagInfo, than I find that a wiki documented tag tells more than a vote.

A vote though might be useful indicator when changes to an existing tag are suggested. It can help refine the proposal, make people aware of the upcoming change (I know you still are at liberty to do it the old way), and most importantly a signal to data consumers that changes in the data they use might occur.

A look at Scout Signs 5 months ago

This triggered my curiosity, but I am disappointed that I would need another iPhone app, and that it will not consolidate datas from other sources. It would be a nice addition if it could analyse Mapillary data, and extract speed signs (and other road signs for that matter) from that source. I am already preparing to gather even more Mapillary data as I find that very useful addition to MapBox satellite or even Bing for getting correct information on the map. If I need to have 4 or 5 iPhones to gather all the information useful for the project, than it will result in few or little data being collected.

Skobbler should have the data capacity to scan Mapillary for roadsigns on a regular basis. Which will leave me in peace to gather Mapillary, and other similar projects derive from there.

I had to check the skobbler blogpost about ScoutSigns to figure out how it works.

Untaggable and unacceptable parking reality 5 months ago

The mayor only wants tourists that spends a lot of money so that he can fill up with money he can use to sniff cocaine or whatever he is doing, don't think he like the population much either, the only thing he have done in 2 years was to move a few bus-stops.

Mapillary and cylceway tagging question 5 months ago

Updated

Mapillary and cylceway tagging question 5 months ago

Something like this?

Mapillary and cylceway tagging question 5 months ago

I knew it would be complex, I will try to add a few of these in the nezt couple of days and link the way ovjects here in the comment.

I don't know if the current Mapillary is detailed enough to tag everything, but at least include a few more details

Mapillary | Ahmedabad - Rajkot Highway | NH47 5 months ago

I should get photos of how I secure my iPhone for taking Mapillary, anyway at the moment I am able to gather photos much quicker than I am able to upload them to Mapillary, even with my adapted command while [ 'ls iPhone/*jpg|wc -l' -gt 0 ]; do python upload.py iPhone; done which constantly pushes the photo sequences from my computer as long as the internet connection is good enough to upload something. Problem is that X-Mas/New Year weekends are the busiest holidays in my tourist-town and our infrastructure isn't able to cope with the number of visitors :(

Mapazonia 5 months ago

Legal, to preparando processar dados do DHN do Rio Tocantins, acho este e fora dos areas ja definidas, mas pode ser um pequena ajuda. Espera que pode processar e mandar os dados ate fim do Janeiro/2015

Edições na Area de Morro da Conceição e Saude , RJ 5 months ago

Voce pode me dar um link para onde, me interessa muito para infraestrutura portuária e marítimo. Talvez eu pode atualizar meus camadas e adicionar ainda mais informação?

Treino 6 months ago

That was partly my point with the comment, the user is always able to break the law and assess his passage on his own risk, the routing should assist people not familiar on the place to arrive safelu and quickly on their destination.