Rovastar has commented on the following diary entries

It's not because you have accurate data that you have to upload all of them in OSM about 2 months ago

Are you really saying that I cannot come up with a set of coordinates that lose data? Please at least make any challenges that require me to use some of my intelligence when throwing down the gauntlet.

Still there is no need to use this. Over time we will get more detailed information in OSM. (I know some of you hate this idea but it is true) Moaning about users uploading detailed information really isn't needed or I would argue desired. What harm does it really do? This really isn't that detailed. All simplifying algorithms lose information. I do not see any need to lose this information. The only reason is to put a burden on the editor.

So that would be every 30 cm which is what he had the data anyway apparently. So it would be the same as the import therefore not quite sure of the point of it. Why add more barriers to entry for OSM? Is OSm for old timer dinosaurs only? shrug The real issue here is some don't want detailed mapping.

Ok I have tidied up that golf course. Removed the tags on the nodes and deleted the additional dup ways.

Oh to explain JOSMs Simplified Way well ... IMHO useless for any sort of detailed mapping. You lose a ridiculous amount of detail. Maybe some of you have never used it.....

Although there are some problems with all the nodes being tagged..... I see no problem at all is mapping to this level of detail. In fact, I don't even think it is that excessive. A few hundred nodes for a large non complex shape of grass? Add a few thousand nodes maybe some from the admin team can say this was pushing OSM database over the edge as now it is about 2.75 billion nodes + a few thousand.

Is it really because some are sort of import......

Why again are we potentially putting off people contributing? Are we really telling people what they can and cannot map here and in what detail? What if someone said you should not map tree types or lock gates with as much detail as some do?

I am not sure where anyone is getting the information that the information was already in OSM. Sure some was added the same day from a different user and I imagine that it was part of the same project given the timing.

Funny highway shortcuts with the new routing feature about 2 months ago

I still stand by what I said sigh

Funny highway shortcuts with the new routing feature about 2 months ago

The should not change the map data to fix a router. That would be mapping for the router.

If it is legal to go down that service road then you should leave it as it is.

Imagery Offset Database 3 months ago

I often find osm gps tracks worse than the imagery offset. YMMV of course.

New Telenav Mapping Project: Dual Carriageways 3 months ago

Sadly the most painful part of this is if these roads are part of relations. If a dozen bus routes are linked to a single stretch it is a complete pain to even try to fix the relations. I know at times I have just given up.

Hello Community 3 months ago

For the rendering on Openstreetmap.com you should look at https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto not the mapnik one above https://github.com/mapnik/mapnik/issues they are not the same thing at all.

6000 EUR for OpenStreetMap 4 months ago

Ummh, it sounds a bit dodgy to me, why not just pay it directly to OSMF? Money going into FOSSGIS pot I imagine is funding www.fossgis.de and the fossgis project.

6000 EUR for OpenStreetMap 4 months ago

Hold on, is the money generated going towards osm? I can only see it going to another organisation fossgis

OSM issues apparently ? 5 months ago

It is probably best to look at the uk guidelines

OSM issues apparently ? 5 months ago

You seem to be confusing OSM "standards" and what the HA, OS or Sabre say they are.

Often these are the same but infact they are different. We are not the HA, OS or SABRE.

The general rule for the UK is that the Green sign is Trunk for A roads and A roads without it is not. As I am sure you are aware that is the case for these roads.

Hence why others have changed it since changed them.

Maybe this can be opened up with the wider UK community on the UK mailing list where it can be discussed further but the system we use has been established for many years.

OSM issues apparently ? 5 months ago

For splitting ways if there is a change in type, speed limits, etc then you can change it. I am not sure what other reasons you want to change them just so something that appears on the map.

Oh please don't change the classification of the street unless you have done some research.

I noticed that you seem to have changed roads around here:

www.openstreetmap.org/way/5648907/history

Trunk roads are A roads by signposted by the green signs. Primaries are A roads without green signs.

The Mapbox OpenStreetMap Data Team Guidelines 7 months ago

Excellent stuff. Many of us do appropriate your efforts in the mapping with your the data team.

One tiny thing could you explictly say they are from mapbox and controling user for ediyes import account. http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/ediyes_nycbuildings Looks like that one got missed.

Survey = "No freaking way" or Mapping parts of the world no-one else wants to map, Part 2: HMP Sudbury, Derbyshire, UK 7 months ago

Well...I think my rather tongue in cheek points still stand. Obviously there are some/many prisons mapped however I imagine few are be richly mapped. Even in those examples of well mapped ones there is no addresses, contact, many missing features, duplicate prison tags, etc.

The Missing Mappers Problem? 10 months ago

Nice graphs.

However do not think this is bad at all.

You seem to have users with >500 changes = 490 (probably could reduce this for bots,imports, etc you found) and only 49 people have dropped out (with the bots, imports removed). Percentage wise that is really low about 10%. As as others have pointed out some are from Europe and are still continuing but not in the US e.g. as above and randomly checking a couple of them http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/mgoe , there is at least another bot in there too (http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/BugBuster). So it could be lower still maybe overall 8% or something. That I think is pretty good.

It will never be zero.

Obviously you would like it to be people move on to different things in the life and not contribute. (I am sure we have all done than on things in the past). Others sadly will get ill (or worse) and cannot continue contributing.

As long as the the numbers of contributors increases more than others drop out it will keep getting better.

how a bad query can get you working for 2 days 10 months ago

Well I am not surprised as you seem to want to download half the database via the API.

The best solution for you is likely to be: Download the planet files for Europe (or whatever regions you need) Convert the whole thing into PSQL via osm2pgsql Do SQL queries on that data locally.