Rovastar has commented on the following diary entries

comparing openstreemap-carto to other map styles about 1 month ago

For the airports the solution has been in that github issue for a year and a half.

Improving the OSM map - why don't we? (13) 3 months ago

Hand written maps will always be able to provide better cartography than automated algorithms.

Islands are especially difficult to have rules that work globally and it is seems that these Canary islands are especially difficult.

It seems that the island of Tenerife is in the group of islands called the Province of Santa Cruz de Tenerife which is part of the Canary islands which is part of Spain. I am not an expert (never been there and know nothing about these islands really) on this at all that is just a browse of wikipedia - I may have got that wrong too.

The question is what do you want displayed at each zoom in the ideal world and then that rule has to work globally for all island groups. There is no good answer for this.

Also the data in Openstreetmap appears to a little broken here too.

We have islands as nodes http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/276569793#map=14/28.2625/-16.5477 for Tenerife and as a relation http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2108882#map=10/28.1852/-16.2872 where the English is a place I have never heard of called Teneriffa (name=en:Teneriffa)

They probably need to be sorted out as it might be trying to display the name twice and causing problems

We also choose on show the native language they speak for the country. Confusing if you just want the English but this is an international projetc and we respect that.

All that said there are known issues with some of the lower zoom levels and displaying more meaningful information capitals, etc and this is regularly being updated.

It is still a very difficult thing to do automatically for every map. I would argue it is more important to show the country rather than the capital city. So Belgium has 3 native languages so it is likely more important to show those rather than the capital city.

Paris though I think should be there and a few others.

We also display the different areas/provinces/states/etc of each country so they are displayed - sometimes these are useful other times not so much.

This is also compounded by the very problematic fact that each country decides taht level these provinces/areas/staes/etc appear (different admin levels) In is IMHO the single biggest problem with OSM data at these low zooms. And one that can only be fixed by have a global consensuses and changing the data on mass. But consensus and mass changing data are dirty words in OSMland

Mapillarising Brazil 3 months ago

"She's pretty bored of all this mapping stuff"

Some would say that she was bored 2 years ago at a London pub meetup.

MAPS.ME is now an editor 5 months ago

Excellent news.

Looks likes this new change has added a load of new users editing the map (lots in your app and I imagine many more have greater awareness of OSM and editing features via other editors)

Yesterday we had the largest number of editors in a day ever at 4830 (previous highest was in the aftermath of the Nepal Earthquake last year) http://osmstats.neis-one.org/?item=members&date=7-4-2016

and looks like still growing....

Sidewalks! 5 months ago

If you really want to have the left/right sidewalk as the casing maybe you could have the casing slightly narrower (than your both sides rendering) and offset to the left or right respectively. Just a theory but sounds hackable.

Aligning hiway to Bing imagery 8 months ago

Often Bing is much better than some dodgy GPS track. Carry on aligning. So people here do not modern technology to contribute to openstreetmap.

Private Plugin for "Faint" Trails? 8 months ago

There is a opinion that maybe you shouldn't put them in as footpath, etc at all. If after 11 years no data consumer has ever used some of these lesser known sub tags. Sometimes we have to look at our data rather than always blaming the data consumers.

Why am I against wholesale import of administrative boundaries from any 3rd party source for the Philippines about 1 year ago

Disclaimer: I am not local to this and have not looked at the data just your interpretation. The license issues aside I am unsure of your objections here.

The picture that you had for the "really bad" example (and I presume you picked a particularly bad case to make you point) I do not think is bad at all. It is mostly a little offset that is all. If you realigned them it would be much clearer. An semi mechanical human variable import could easily overcome this. Even if you do not do this and have a compare and contrast of the dataset with OSM data can result in areas that need to be investigated by other means, e.g. on the ground (if that is at all possible with admin boundaries), etc.

It appears you haven't consider these possibilities.

Also I am a little confused as to adding something that is roughly/nearly/high percentage correct instead of the alternative which is, well, nothing at all. This an ongoing issue with most opendata projects I know of - having something that is not 100% correct and over time improve it versus waiting until it is perfect before adding it.

New road style for the Default map style - the full version about 1 year ago

I dislike the suggested pedestrian style - it looks like a building. Take the carto css default pic how can you or anyone tell if it is pedestrian or a building for the far right.

It needs to be lightened up a bit IMHO. Personally i think living streets should be more like residential roads. I am not sure why you think the are like pedestrian walkways.

Actually I would like some pattern paving for pedestrian ways a map image a bit like (only time for a quick Google) http://www.kspaving.co.uk/graphics/KSPavingLogo.gif

New road style for the Default map style - highway=path is evil about 1 year ago

lighten the forest and wood area and darken the green motorways

"It is not so easy - this would start problems with forest too close to other green landuses. It also would not solve problem with motorways looking like rivers"

I disagree this was discussed before you joined the carto project. We have too many greens and the current green for trunks is too dull. We still need to sort the greens out....

It's not because you have accurate data that you have to upload all of them in OSM over 1 year ago

Are you really saying that I cannot come up with a set of coordinates that lose data? Please at least make any challenges that require me to use some of my intelligence when throwing down the gauntlet.

Still there is no need to use this. Over time we will get more detailed information in OSM. (I know some of you hate this idea but it is true) Moaning about users uploading detailed information really isn't needed or I would argue desired. What harm does it really do? This really isn't that detailed. All simplifying algorithms lose information. I do not see any need to lose this information. The only reason is to put a burden on the editor.

So that would be every 30 cm which is what he had the data anyway apparently. So it would be the same as the import therefore not quite sure of the point of it. Why add more barriers to entry for OSM? Is OSm for old timer dinosaurs only? shrug The real issue here is some don't want detailed mapping.

Ok I have tidied up that golf course. Removed the tags on the nodes and deleted the additional dup ways.

Oh to explain JOSMs Simplified Way well ... IMHO useless for any sort of detailed mapping. You lose a ridiculous amount of detail. Maybe some of you have never used it.....

Although there are some problems with all the nodes being tagged..... I see no problem at all is mapping to this level of detail. In fact, I don't even think it is that excessive. A few hundred nodes for a large non complex shape of grass? Add a few thousand nodes maybe some from the admin team can say this was pushing OSM database over the edge as now it is about 2.75 billion nodes + a few thousand.

Is it really because some are sort of import......

Why again are we potentially putting off people contributing? Are we really telling people what they can and cannot map here and in what detail? What if someone said you should not map tree types or lock gates with as much detail as some do?

I am not sure where anyone is getting the information that the information was already in OSM. Sure some was added the same day from a different user and I imagine that it was part of the same project given the timing.

Funny highway shortcuts with the new routing feature over 1 year ago

I still stand by what I said sigh

Funny highway shortcuts with the new routing feature over 1 year ago

The should not change the map data to fix a router. That would be mapping for the router.

If it is legal to go down that service road then you should leave it as it is.

Imagery Offset Database over 1 year ago

I often find osm gps tracks worse than the imagery offset. YMMV of course.

New Telenav Mapping Project: Dual Carriageways over 1 year ago

Sadly the most painful part of this is if these roads are part of relations. If a dozen bus routes are linked to a single stretch it is a complete pain to even try to fix the relations. I know at times I have just given up.