Rovastar has commented on the following diary entries

When the World Needs a Map, Give them a Database 2 months ago

You should practice your typos more SomeoneElse. I guess it is SOTM ==State Of The Map.

How to track and encourage contribution? 2 months ago

About point 3. What level of zoom are you talking here?

Maybe it depends on where in the world you are at and what tile server you hit but I see the changes rapidly even on zoom like 15 about maybe 10 minutes with a few hard refreshes of the browser (Ctrl F5) but I'm in England. Never had to do the dirty tile thing.

Sometimes I have one tab open in the browser of an area before I do a large edit and the adjacent tab with the same location/Url with the refreshed map to compare.

If you want some more motivation try and get to the top of the (Nodes added + Nodes Modified - Nodes deleted) leaderboard. ;)

AI With Satellite Images for OpenStreetMap 2 months ago

It is an exciting potential for OSM with AI.

Again like any use of technology (imports, imagery, etc ) there is massive pushback from some parts of the OSM community. The term Luddites spring to mind.

So many negative comments and the post really was about using AI to assist mappers. True in the past there have been mistakes with it. And these types of AI learn with time and get better as they "learn".

Like the anti-import brigade they fail to see any benefit. They bemoan things like the Tiger import in the US but without it there would be huge areas of the country without any map data at all. And without that then then other data consumers would, I suspect, not use OSM data or delay bringing it onboard. Things like Maps.me, Mapbox, PokemonGo, etc would not be as successful as they are for OSM. And then they create a snowball effect that and with that the massive increase in editors in the past couple of years. About double monthly users mostly down to maps.me and pokemon go.

I am firm believer in having more stuff mapped makes OSM more popular and then more people use it and that means more people map and the cycle continues. Having these anti-technology policies harms OSM progress.

Caution is sensible but we should help guide the use of technology in OSM not call for blanket banning of it (or make it as near as banning as possible). They don't have to be perfect (and plenty of heavy mappers are far from perfect) just good enough. If they are 1% off in errors that should not be a case to dismiss/ban/stigmatize these uses of technology.

@MichaelK

I'm fine with spilling oil as I must call you out on your false arguments due to lack on investigation.The makers of PokemonGo didn't dump their data into OSM. In fact they didn't add anything. And has been been by far the biggest increase in the mappers over the past year or so to the OSM project because loads of new users (and not the company "dumping data") added stuff. For example in South Korea when it was launched there there were about 100 times the normal daily mappers (about 12 daily before then up to 1250) solely because of this game.

Sure like any new users (and I believe there are many in the OSM community that do not seem to want new users at all) there will be some that do mistakes and vandalism. No need to shame them we should welcome the massive good things new blood has for the OSM.

Mapping Swadlincote (Derbyshire) only by strolls 6 months ago

Yep Swad is one black spot in the local area. Many years I tidied up the road alignment and added many missing ones but nearly all that was from imagery.

Excellent that you are updating the area.

Participation biases in OSM: Survey now LIVE! 9 months ago

This was a smaller than I expected survey. Basically for those who have not clicked it just asks you your username, gender, age range, nationality, etc.

I am confused about what you are going to do with this basic info. Is it just to get a new updated ratio of male to female? or are you going to looking at my and others editing patterns and determine if we have biases/any bias exists?

最終発表会レジュメ over 1 year ago

3 = maps.me

The Fukuoka sinkhole is mapped over 1 year ago

Interesting you choose to change the map. Each situation is different and I bow to your local knowledge and how OSM japan do things but a similar case in the UK.

A railway line next to the sea was washed away in storms.

and took nearly 2 months to rebuild and reopen.

The decision was taken in the UK to not change the map at all and (I think) reverted any changes that were made.

The logic being that different providers take data and didn't want to make this data out of synchronization with those providers that might update infrequently and this line will be opened again soon. Temporary closures like this are difficult to map and no real right or wrong answers.

Railway Crossings challenge for MapRoulette over 1 year ago

"47995853 nodes ought to be enough for anyone"

It is to do with hitting a 2GB default limit rather than a specfic number.

Not very often I can talk about asp.net issues on OSM.

comparing openstreemap-carto to other map styles almost 2 years ago

For the airports the solution has been in that github issue for a year and a half.

Improving the OSM map - why don't we? (13) almost 2 years ago

Hand written maps will always be able to provide better cartography than automated algorithms.

Islands are especially difficult to have rules that work globally and it is seems that these Canary islands are especially difficult.

It seems that the island of Tenerife is in the group of islands called the Province of Santa Cruz de Tenerife which is part of the Canary islands which is part of Spain. I am not an expert (never been there and know nothing about these islands really) on this at all that is just a browse of wikipedia - I may have got that wrong too.

The question is what do you want displayed at each zoom in the ideal world and then that rule has to work globally for all island groups. There is no good answer for this.

Also the data in Openstreetmap appears to a little broken here too.

We have islands as nodes http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/276569793#map=14/28.2625/-16.5477 for Tenerife and as a relation http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2108882#map=10/28.1852/-16.2872 where the English is a place I have never heard of called Teneriffa (name=en:Teneriffa)

They probably need to be sorted out as it might be trying to display the name twice and causing problems

We also choose on show the native language they speak for the country. Confusing if you just want the English but this is an international projetc and we respect that.

All that said there are known issues with some of the lower zoom levels and displaying more meaningful information capitals, etc and this is regularly being updated.

It is still a very difficult thing to do automatically for every map. I would argue it is more important to show the country rather than the capital city. So Belgium has 3 native languages so it is likely more important to show those rather than the capital city.

Paris though I think should be there and a few others.

We also display the different areas/provinces/states/etc of each country so they are displayed - sometimes these are useful other times not so much.

This is also compounded by the very problematic fact that each country decides taht level these provinces/areas/staes/etc appear (different admin levels) In is IMHO the single biggest problem with OSM data at these low zooms. And one that can only be fixed by have a global consensuses and changing the data on mass. But consensus and mass changing data are dirty words in OSMland

Mapillarising Brazil almost 2 years ago

"She's pretty bored of all this mapping stuff"

Some would say that she was bored 2 years ago at a London pub meetup.

MAPS.ME is now an editor about 2 years ago

Excellent news.

Looks likes this new change has added a load of new users editing the map (lots in your app and I imagine many more have greater awareness of OSM and editing features via other editors)

Yesterday we had the largest number of editors in a day ever at 4830 (previous highest was in the aftermath of the Nepal Earthquake last year) http://osmstats.neis-one.org/?item=members&date=7-4-2016

and looks like still growing....

Sidewalks! about 2 years ago

If you really want to have the left/right sidewalk as the casing maybe you could have the casing slightly narrower (than your both sides rendering) and offset to the left or right respectively. Just a theory but sounds hackable.

Aligning hiway to Bing imagery over 2 years ago

Often Bing is much better than some dodgy GPS track. Carry on aligning. So people here do not modern technology to contribute to openstreetmap.

Private Plugin for "Faint" Trails? over 2 years ago

There is a opinion that maybe you shouldn't put them in as footpath, etc at all. If after 11 years no data consumer has ever used some of these lesser known sub tags. Sometimes we have to look at our data rather than always blaming the data consumers.

Why am I against wholesale import of administrative boundaries from any 3rd party source for the Philippines over 2 years ago

Disclaimer: I am not local to this and have not looked at the data just your interpretation. The license issues aside I am unsure of your objections here.

The picture that you had for the "really bad" example (and I presume you picked a particularly bad case to make you point) I do not think is bad at all. It is mostly a little offset that is all. If you realigned them it would be much clearer. An semi mechanical human variable import could easily overcome this. Even if you do not do this and have a compare and contrast of the dataset with OSM data can result in areas that need to be investigated by other means, e.g. on the ground (if that is at all possible with admin boundaries), etc.

It appears you haven't consider these possibilities.

Also I am a little confused as to adding something that is roughly/nearly/high percentage correct instead of the alternative which is, well, nothing at all. This an ongoing issue with most opendata projects I know of - having something that is not 100% correct and over time improve it versus waiting until it is perfect before adding it.

New road style for the Default map style - the full version over 2 years ago

I dislike the suggested pedestrian style - it looks like a building. Take the carto css default pic how can you or anyone tell if it is pedestrian or a building for the far right.

It needs to be lightened up a bit IMHO. Personally i think living streets should be more like residential roads. I am not sure why you think the are like pedestrian walkways.

Actually I would like some pattern paving for pedestrian ways a map image a bit like (only time for a quick Google) http://www.kspaving.co.uk/graphics/KSPavingLogo.gif

New road style for the Default map style - highway=path is evil almost 3 years ago

lighten the forest and wood area and darken the green motorways

"It is not so easy - this would start problems with forest too close to other green landuses. It also would not solve problem with motorways looking like rivers"

I disagree this was discussed before you joined the carto project. We have too many greens and the current green for trunks is too dull. We still need to sort the greens out....

It's not because you have accurate data that you have to upload all of them in OSM about 3 years ago

Are you really saying that I cannot come up with a set of coordinates that lose data? Please at least make any challenges that require me to use some of my intelligence when throwing down the gauntlet.