Mapper since: April 19, 2014
What is OpenStreetMap?
- OpenStreetMap (OSM) is a world-wide collaborative project aiming at providing free map data, under an open license, to anyone who wants it. Volunteers all over the planet, like you, contribute their local knowledge and their time to build the best map ever. The data in OpenStreetMap is as diverse as its contributors; it serves motorists, cyclists, pedestrians, seafarers and canoeists alike.
- You can map much more than just streets. Building outlines, landcover, waterways, railways and civilisation amenities have their place in the database, down to individual trees, opening times of shops, or even indoor building layouts. Wheelmap helps people with disabilities, Niantic uses OSM data for Pokemon Go, and Kurviger can show routes for motorcyclists that are more curvy and outside of residential areas. There are many more examples how the data you contribute is used.
Isn't mapping complicated?
No. The world of OpenStreetMap consists of three basic elements. Points (nodes), lines (ways) and areas. They get their values through so called tags (like name=Στέκι Μεταναστών). For example,
- name=Στέκι Μεταναστών
We use nodes for shops, small features like fountains or bicycle repair stations.
Ways for roads, paths, small waterways.
Areas for forests, buildings and ponds.
How can I edit?
- We have two main editors for mapping with a PC. iD and JOSM. JOSM is an advanced standalone editor but it might be better to have some experience before you begin mapping with it.
- To add things with your mobile phone you can use OsmAnd, Vespucci or Maps.me, which also display the map you help to create. You can also use StreetComplete or Cityzenapp for Android to add information to existing stuff on OSM.
What are some "unwritten" rules?
- Map what's on the ground.
- Have a look in the Wiki, nearly all tags are described there.
- Copy from other parts of the world, where something is already mapped. Germany is mapped in great detail.
- Don't copy from copyrighted sources like Google Maps.
- Ask! Other mappers will help you, ask on help.openstreetmap.org or on country-specific OSM mailing lists and IRC channels
- Don't use the name tag to describe the object. For example, name=bench, instead use amenity=bench. Use tags to classify objects instead of name. Name should only be used for features with actual names, like buildings or restaurants.
What is considered good mapping?
- Good Practice tips
- Good Changeset comments
- Connect footways with streets. Only things that are connected can be used for routing.
- Don't connect landuses with streets. It's hard to change something afterwards and also confusing.
- Square buildings.
- Check if the satellite layer is misaligned. Compare the satellite layer with existing streets and gps traces.
- Don't delete stuff. First ask the mapper why he did something the way he did. Maybe you just have old satellite data.
- Most common mapping mistakes
- This website shows you other mappers near you, if you want to connect.
- List of useful OSM-based websites, where your changes appear
- Upcoming OSM Events - Maybe there's a social meet up near you. It's always good to talk to people face to face. Sometimes they can help you.
How can I help besides mapping?
- Become a member of the OSM Foundation. ** Normal members provide their full residential address and can vote on all issues. They can also be candidates in the election to Board. ** Associate members provide just their country of residence and can vote - but not on all issues. More information here.
- Join the volunteers of one of the OSM Foundation's Working Groups
- Upload GPS traces
- Spread the word about OpenStreetMap!
Sources: OSMF leaflet, reddit post
Reminder to myself to check:
- Good Practice
- Good Changeset comments
- Tagging in support of women and girls
- Permanent ID
- OpenStreetMap POI finder
- Armchair mapping
- Greek subforum - (RSS)
- Notes mostly in Crete (RSS) * Attica * Greece - opened only
- Changesets to check - (RSS)
- OSMCHA 1 - 2 - 3 (Some detected changesets span large areas of the globe)
- New users - (RSS) * Users active each month - select Greece
- Changeset discussions - (RSS)
- Recent edits 7 days * 7 days Attica
- Maps.me changes
- Some unmapped places
- Streets with no names -poole.ch * Mapbox
- Quality assurance for motorways (CheckAutopista2)
- Photos by Mapillary * OpenStreetCam
- Κορυφές από Λυκαβητό
- Attica transport map: https://www.öpnvkarte.de/#23.75;37.9734;12
- WikiProject Greece: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Greece
- Map Features in Greek: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/El:Map_Features
- Taglist: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Greece/Taglist
- Multilingual names: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multilingual_names#Greece
- Good changeset comments: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/El:Good_changeset_comments
- Stats for Greece * Notes * Road categories
- Heatmap of annual tileset editing: https://mapbox.github.io/osm-analysis-collab/editor-recency?yearIdx=11&layer=0&minUsers=1&minObjects=1.12/39.072/23.234
Assess what might be potential errors
- Keep Right: http://keepright.ipax.at/report_map.php?lat=37.95643&lon=23.72039&zoom=12&layers=B0T
- Osmose: http://osmose.openstreetmap.fr/
- Improve OSM: http://improve-osm.org/#40.8138092,32.1240234,5/layer=OSM/OPEN/true,1-0-0/true,1-0-0-0-0/true,1-0
- To fix: http://osmlab.github.io/to-fix
- OSM inspector: http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/
Help new mappers
- (for nodes+ways) http://product.itoworld.com/map/12?lon=23.84930&lat=37.94901&zoom=10&open_sidebar=clickthrough_wrapper
- (for nodes) http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/koS
- (from Keepright) http://keepright.ipax.at/report_map.php?zoom=14&lat=56.06445&lon=-3.21931
- Overpass: https://overpass-turbo.eu/
- Tag info: https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/?key=leisure&value=playground
Easy custom maps with OSM background
- Who Did It: http://zverik.osm.rambler.ru/whodidit/ & http://simon04.dev.openstreetmap.org/whodidit/
- Deep History of Nodes, Ways, Relations: http://osmlab.github.io/osm-deep-history/#/way/10973689
- Plot of tag usage over time: http://taghistory.raifer.tech/
- Tag history https://osm-vis.geog.uni-heidelberg.de/osm-tags-history-wiki/
- ITO tools (Visualisation): http://product.itoworld.com/map/
- RSS history filter (drop changesets covering wide areas of earth): http://positron96.appspot.com/osmfilter.html
- See new keys: http://osm.mueschelsoft.de/taginfo/newkeys.htm
- Eraser Map: https://mapzen.com/blog/erasermap-beta/
- Note location: https://api.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/notes/
- Notes Review (search/filter notes based on keywords): https://ent8r.github.io/NotesReview/
- Map-Edit: http://umgebungsplaene.osm-baustelle.de
- Pic4carto (Photomapping): http://projets.pavie.info/pic4carto/
- Find unmapped paths - Strava's version of ID:http://strava.github.io/iD/#background=Bing&map=2.00/0.0/0.0
- Mapcraft (collaborative mapping): http://mapcraft.nanodesu.ru/list
- Wikidata validator: https://osmlab.github.io/wikidata-osm/#5.51/38.084/24.452
- Opening hours - create syntax: http://projets.pavie.info/yohours/
- Opening hours - visualisation on map: http://openingh.openstreetmap.de/
- Changeset viewer: https://overpass-api.de/achavi/?changeset=
- Relation analyser: http://ra.osmsurround.org
- Flyovercountry app http://fc.umn.edu/
- Openvegemap https://openvegemap.netlib.re
Cycling, Hiking, MTB, inline skating, horse riding
- CycleMap: https://web.cyclemapapp.com/
- BBBike (cycle route planner): https://www.bbbike.org/ (specific cities)
- Waymarked trails: cycling, hiking, MTB, inline skating, horse riding
OSM Contributors' analysis tools
- Map trolling :) https://twitter.com/Anonymaps
- Fight http://osmfight.neis-one.org/
- OSM related quiz http://geoawesomeness.com/geoawesomequiz-the-openstreetmap-quiz/
- Meshu: http://meshu.io/
- telnet mapscii.me
- 'cause I'll go to the State of the Map
- Watch edits as they happen: https://osmlab.github.io/show-me-the-way/
Fun - tangible
- Craftmapper T-shirt: https://www.spreadshirt.com/original+craftmapper+t-shirt-A106759535
- OSM cookie cutter: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2760677
Latest ground survey mass POI uploads to re-check:
- https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/45782387 (100 POIs)
- https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/48927447 (101 POIs)
Ground survey mass POI uploads re-checked:
- https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/44506730 (180 POIs)
- https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/44140174 (169 POIs)
- https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/41914021 (785 POIs)
- https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/41896337 (80 POIs)
- https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/41025782 (157 POIs)
- https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/40854065 (228 POIs)
- https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/40509933 (180 POIs)
- https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/37114192 (223 POIs)
Notes to myself about data entered:
- 201603 Piraeus_port: Added areas of covered taxi stands as sun shelters and the taxi stand as a seperare POI to emphasize on the map positions when one can find cover from the sun. These areas might be alternatively (or more appropriately) tagged as public_transport=platform + amenity=taxi + covered:yes
- 201603 Piraeus_port: Added tickets shops (kiosks) inside the port & tagged them as "disused" as I don't know their current operational status yet.
- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqjPa29lMiE3eR-gK80irr3xdUiRbIMeg Talks
- https://www.periscope.tv/w/1rmxPDpwypDxN Periscope talk - Trace from space
- http://indyhurt.github.io/poi-stats/queries/retrospective/graphics/TargetedEditingRetrospective.pdf Slides - Mapzen targeted editing series
- http://anand.codes/talks/sotmus-2016/ Slides - Skynet
- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295925/labuildings.pdf Slides - LA buildings
- https://github.com/erikschlegel/Conference-Talks/blob/master/OSM%20-%20Spatial%203D%20Audio%20Navigation%20Presentation%20Deck.pdf Slides - OSM - Spatial 3D Audio Navigation Presentation Deck
- https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1nBaqK2BngKoX2QIPMi-842Azvw9QmBtBAqwGiCXVqTs/edit#slide=id.p3 Slides - Field Papers
- https://www.dropbox.com/s/z34xmx0x78nq575/Customizing%20iD%20for%20Developers.pptx?dl=0 Slides - iD for devs
- https://hi.stamen.com/openstreetmap-past-s-openstreetmap-future-s-cafddc2a4736 Transcript - OSM futures
- http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/State_Of_The_Map_U.S._2016/Hands-On_Day/OSM_Analysis_SOTMUS_2016 Notes - OSM analytics workshop
- https://www.periscope.tv/w/1ynJOzzPgPwGR Periscope - iD workshop
- https://www.dropbox.com/s/lsgyw72cz50boor/VID_20160725_130343.mp4 - MapRoulette workshop
- https://www.periscope.tv/w/1YqGowwMXQjGv Periscope - Maptime summit
Other people's changesets that might need updates
- https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Nikotag/history (new)
- https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Ermis-Leonidas%20Sfakianoudis/history (new)
- https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Koskinos/history (vandalism)
Not properly categorised POIs
- https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4727603894 (selling/creating invitations etc for baptisms, weddings, birthdays) - Currently tagged as shop=yes
##Personal POIs added by mistake? * https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4457649990
- Bus stop that is also an exchange library. Library created by a couple on Paros, Greece (Γέφυρα Συρίγου, πριν το αεροδρόμιο) https://twitter.com/efigiannaki/status/888735693849100289