maxolasersquad has commented on the following diary entries

The wrong side of mapping transient events in OSM about 2 months ago

I would say that if one is willing to keep the map up to date with the ground situation as it changes, then go for it. If not then it is probably best to leave things alone.

When OSM notes show up with a description like, "Speed limit 45 mom while under construction." I just leave those alone. Who knows how long it will take after construction is complete for the speed limit to be reset.

A good case for mapping transient events is disaster relief. If disaster workers are on the ground working, it may be critical for them to know that a low area is now a river. It would, of course, be equally critical to know when the water has receded again.

Notes from anonymous users 5 months ago

Thank you for your thoughts Harry.

I have no problem leaving legitimate notes out there. It does make finding new Notes a pain, but ignoring useful problem reports just because I can't resolve it is not helpful to the project. It would be nice if there was a better way to browse notes, something that works like a traditional bug-tracking platform.

It is frustrating as a user to find a problem, notify the project of the issue, and then be told your issue is going to be ignored.

Notes from anonymous users 5 months ago

@Pieren, the wiki article on notes is absent on details about the protocol for resolving notes. Is there some documentation that I am not aware of?

Notes from anonymous users 5 months ago

I should add that OSM user grouper has also been working the Florida notes. I didn't intend to exclude him in my above post as a helpful contributor.

Notes from anonymous users 5 months ago

Either the anonymous user really drove hundreds of miles to each location, but did all that work and only cared about the Aldi locations, or they used another source to find the location. It is not possible to know the address of a location alone based on the OSM data. For example, South Semoran Boulevard is many miles long. You can't just look at the map and know where "1900 S. Semoran Blvd." is.

While I do not know the reporter used a copyrighted source, the idea that the person found all of these locations independently seems very unlikely. Many people do not understand the rules behind mapping. I have even seen notes from registered users (with no edits) stating that one can look at Google Maps to discover the issue being reported.

Independent verification simply isn't going to happen. There are not enough people working the notes in Florida to independently verify anything. I live in Tallahassee and as far as I know, am the only person actively squashing the bugs in this state. Bugs that I don't squash stick around. If I let enough notes pile up in Florida it will be impossible for me to know when a new Note is created (you can't do an RSS feed for the whole state) as I cannot possibly remember which notes I have looked at before, nor can I click on hundred of notes daily. I give registered users ample time to get back if I have any questions, but if they don't back in a reasonable amount of time, or an unclear anonymous Note is added, it is getting marked as Resolved. It is the only way to stay on top of these things with sanity.

Fed up with abbreviations in tags 8 months ago

Some tags are non obvious to some English speakers too. Like leisure=pitch. As an American I have never ever heard of pitch used as a noun to describe a playing field. I've asked a number of my friends and family and they didn't know what it is either. That's why we have the wiki. Also, it is extremely detrimental to the community to refer to contributors to OSM as morons. I'd rather those with an attitude bugger of to Google Map Maker than those who are making low-quality edits.

Adding Addresses about 1 year ago

I have a number of techniques. If I'm not intending to do mapping, but just find myself in a place to add some data I add it with Vespucci. If I'm mapping out a neighborhood I will do it from the couch first, tracing the buildings and adding the city, street, etc part of the address. I then follow it up on the ground either with a printout of the area, where I write the street numbers on the paper, or I add the street numbers with Vespucci. I know the importance of address data is disputed, but if OSM is ever going to be used to get to places by addresses, phone line finding a friends house, then it is useful.

Another shot at GPS navigation with OsmAnd+ over 1 year ago

After the route is calculated, and as long as I follow that route, there is no reason for it to ever recalculate, regardless of the processing power of my phone. If I do deviate from that route, and I ever make it back on to that route, it should be able to realize that no tracing back is needed. It could simply discard the part of the route that is "behind" me. This would take some processing, but nothing significant.

I didn't mind waiting around a minute for it to figure out the calculations initially. I would expect even a modern desktop PC to need some time to look at all of that data and figure out a good route. But once a route is calculated, and I stick to that route, there's no technical reason for any problems.

One possible issue that may have confused OsmAnd could be road alignment. If these old country roads I was on are not aligned properly, based on sloppy unreviewed Tiger data, I could see the phone thinking I was off the road, and then think it needs to recalculate that route since it would look like I had in fact strayed from the calculated path.

Second attempt to address mapping over 1 year ago

I usually use Vespucci on my Android phone. I download the area I am in. For each address I create a node and just fill in the addr:housenumber and addr:street tag. Later, usually when I am in front of a full PC, I add the additional addr:* tags such as city. I can usually grab a number of addresses pretty fast with this method.

“Sidewalks” almost 2 years ago

I didn't know about footway=sidewalk and am glad to now know. When I'm out-and-about I usually use either Vespucci to make edits then-and-their, or the Mapquest app to file MapDust bugs that I then fix when I get home.

Mapping is hard about 2 years ago

A good problem to have for sure. Here in my corner of this planet, anything I don't map is unlikely to be mapped for years to come. There is a nice satisfaction, for me at least, of mapping new construction before any of the other major providers have the chance.

Wow!!! about 2 years ago

I've been noticing almost immediate gratification as well. Whatever the cause of the new speed, I'm loving it.

Attempting to revert destructive changesets about 2 years ago

When I spent a year mapping, in crazy detail, Southwood, the residential community I work in. http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=30.39437&lon=-84.21297&zoom=15 It was a good place to learn. Since I work there I could spend lunch breaks surveying the area and taking them back and inputting my findings. Find a place you have frequent access to (your work area or neighborhood) and start hacking away at the map.

Plan for the 4/1 - 4/3 read-only period about 2 years ago

@!i! Wiki cleanup is a great idea.

@EdLoach I'm subscribed to the RSS feed for Florida, where I reside. I make sure all new bugs get addressed in a timely manner. I hope to one day have all bugs in Florida addressed.

@chriscf There's a lot of problems with the MapDust bug reporting, and it doesn't look like they plan on addressing them any time soon. Like EdLoach, I always just look at the map in the area of bug report, so even if the report is useless, I may find a problem worth fixing there, and maybe that problem was what the reporter was trying to report.

Is there an app? Who's doing the app? about 2 years ago

Oh, and the MapQuest app is good for doing GPS navigation against OSM data. You just have to choose "Open" data in the preferences. I've found a number of bugs, such as non-intersecting intersections this way.

Is there an app? Who's doing the app? about 2 years ago

Vespucci, OsmAnd and OSMapTuner. The latter is brand new.

Maryland and DC are ODbL-clean! about 2 years ago

A good way to find areas that need improvements is to use the issues reported at http://www.mapdust.com/ Clearing these out for a state may help eliminate some user's pet peave about the map in their area.

Started today! over 2 years ago

Looks great. Keep up the good work.

Advertisements over 2 years ago

Do you mean advertisements in the OSM blogs, or in the OSM data itself?

Getting ready to pack my bags and leave OSM over 2 years ago

I have had some contact with abrasive contributors, but I find that for the most part they are few and far between. IMO they are mostly ignorable.
As Richard says, the important thing is that you find a project that you enjoy working in, and that enjoys having you around. However, it is near impossible to find a project that doesn't have at least one "that guy." In a community as large as this there's bound to be a few more than just one.
I think a code of conduct published somewhere would be helpful; something we could point people to when they begin getting out of line.