kucai has commented on the following diary entries

First Time Editing, Thoughts and Plans for the Future Work about 2 months ago

welcome to editing!

You'll find out that those offset will become part of the game soon enough. What probably happened was that the buildings were traced on older imagery compared to what you are currently seeing. And there is nothing to prevent a newer imagery in the future to have different offsets of the building that you traced now.

Even if you are able to obtain precise gps coordinates for a point, and then re-aligned the imagery, you'll still find that things don't really line up somewhere else. We have to live with that imperfection, close is good enough!

In your situation, I would do one of these: If there are already a lot of buildings traced, I'll locally realign the imagery to fit those buildings and start tracing other things that needed tracing. This way, everything will be offset by a constant value. Perhaps in the future when I really feel confident that I have a good reference coordinate, I'll try get an agreement from others to shift the whole area (and imagery) to the more accurate coordinate. (don't know how practically relevant when applying offsets to city sized area, I traced villages mostly) If only a handful of buildings had been traced, might just ignore them. In JOSM you can filter out buildings to declutter the map.

In most cases, I just said fuck it. :) hehe

Using OSM in Mobile 3 months ago

I finally limit my edits to POI and street naming esp. in Vespucci. Even when using a tab, there's no satisfactory way to draw roads, geometry etc.

Why is Nakaner not in favour of your proposal? 5 months ago

Can we just bypass this "tagging freedom" thing and just create an approved list?

Trunk in a funk 5 months ago

Aye, same thing happened here in Malaysia. We (our less than a dozen mapper heh) kinda suspended using the trunk tag for the moment.

Some of us wanted to us the technical side of the definition, which eliminates a lot of current trunk tagging and reclassified them to primary.

I argued for using trunk for major intercity connecting roads (most are of the primary type in classification) that were built during the British times before we started building modern tolled motorways. These are usually given a ref number of value less than 10 since they are the earliest built intercity roads.

No consensus, therefore we just freeze the tag usage.

Imagery update for Mapbox Satellite layer 6 months ago

A very welcomed news.

Although I dread the alignment and realignment of imagery/data layer that is bound to happen. There is no conveniently accessible way to tell all mappers that the imagery of an area has been aligned correctly by such and such on this date through surveyed known point, (or gps tracks or some other ways).

JOSM map offset database plugin isn't widely used in my area (I've not come across any), and no idea if ID accesses the same resource.

How do you guys in well developed maps cope with this issue?

Mistakes & Regrets I've Made Editing OpenStreetMap 7 months ago

...Trusting a wonky smartphone satnav and compass when using Mapillary. Openstreetcam handles the wonky satnav part really well, but it's even worse with the compass since you can't currently correct it manually after uploading...

Unless your are talking about Openstreetcam only, compass heading can be corrected in Mapillary, but you have to use the web interface which I found to be slow. About time for an app/plugin that can edit those details before uploading to the Mapillary server. Regards.

Much welcomed DigitalGlobe imagery 9 months ago

thanks for the tip... will try that if it happens again.

Potlatch 2.5 12 months ago

would you kindly write a JOSM plugin for that "jumping nodes along a way"? That's a feature I really like about Potlatch, it makes easy work of aligning a 20km stretch of rural highway to newly available sat image.

Expedition GIS and OSM in Oman about 1 year ago

Wow... salute!

Mapping considered Malicious (if Fire Hydrants) over 1 year ago

Terrorist symphatizer, you! ;)

1 million buildings in Los Angeles over 1 year ago

Impressive! as darth vader would say..

How fast does the map load in osmand on lower spec android? Still usable?

Pi mai pi mai tang tu almost 2 years ago

hahaha... tapi kalau dia ada rss feed, jenuh la hang menunggu..

First 1k changeset about 2 years ago

Tu dia ehh...

Aku kena catchup balik ni.. tenet oh tenet, dimanakah dikau.. hehe

Mapper in the Spotlight: dkiselev (Russia) about 2 years ago

"how to manage a party of anarchists."

Haha.. I liked that quote.

2015 in brief about 2 years ago

Yamm senggg!!!....

Potlatch editing over 2 years ago

I use JOSM at home, but sometimes I hang out at internet cafes to download stuff ( a wee bit faster internet connection compared to the unreliable n quite costly home mobile broadband). So, while waiting for stuff to download, I fire up potlatch for quick editing. can't stand iD though, too clumsy for me.

A Mapper in the Spotlight: Dave Swarthout (USA/Thailand) over 2 years ago

With thailand's (or pretty much anywhere else in SEA) traffic, you are really pushing your luck surveying on a bike like that. Stay safe!

Great interview.

Not this again... over 2 years ago

There exist the same situation in Klang valley, especially on MRR2. Last I remembered, the exit junctions don't have any names on it, and the situation is the same for many other expressways that crisscross the valley. Yet, we have notes all over. My best guess is that somebody is importing data from other navigation system, MFM would be the prime candidate.

You don't mind extending your spring cleaning all the way down here do you? ;)

New sat image and alignments over 2 years ago

perhaps a little clarification to my post.

I am just proposing possible approaches to aligning existing trace to new sat images. I even mentioned, at the end of the process, the need to offset everything accurately, be it averaged gps traces or geodetic survey data.

If there are no gps traces available (quite common around here), then, i dont think it mattered much since nobody knew for sure which sat imagery is more accurate..I'll just make the map pretty.

Akuanaktimur, this is never intended against you. You are one of the best mapper ive met in osm malaysia.

thanks for the input guys/gals!

Swaziland, Zimbabwe and South Africa entered almost 3 years ago

awww.. living the life huh? while the rest of us are slaving away at out desks.... ;)

Wishing you the best with your journeys.