joost schouppe has commented on the following diary entries

Does Open Street Map have an input API? or Upload feature? 3 days ago

Many new contributors like you have wanted to jump in by importing. The most important thing to realize is that most OSM data is handcrafted by volunteers who do this because they like doing it. Most external data is made by people payed to do it. You will find that OSM data might be sparse and incomplete, but the quality of what is there is phenomenal. Most of the time, external data will be either of bad quality or evaluated to really different quality measures. In practice, that means you will either need a complicated technical solution, or will just be able to use external data as a starting point. Either way, it is a bit more complicated than feeding an API.

OSM is not a collection of geographic features but an integrated database of things with a spatial component. For well defined things, it might be more efficient to look elsewhere. For example, for address databases, there's this project.

Maps.me is a new evil (instead of Potlatch)? 3 days ago

And the same goes for iD. The first time you hit that Edit button on OSM.org, you know nothing at all about the project. Hell, three years after that, I still feel like I know next to nothing. We even have a whole team needed to keep us up to date of only just the most important stuff!

That said, of course we need to make the tools as good as possible. The maps.me editor is obviously a very good idea, even if it has many faults at this time. Let's not waste time complaining and demotivating the makers of this great tool. Let's just give them constructive feedback on how they can make it better.

Why I am supporting Brussels 3 days ago

It will be a pleasure to welcome you :)

Oh, and location-wise, here's the building where most activities will take place.

Entrevista a la comunidad OSM en PerĂº 30 days ago

Gracias, compartiendo con @osm_be

Mapping My Hometown 30 days ago

By Indian standards a small town indeed, but I believe it should be tagged as something larger than a hamlet :) Check this site for some guidance on the appropriate tag.

If you want to work on it a bit more, it's always strange to see so many houses without streets to get to them.

Anyway thanks for contributing, keep it up!

National Missing Maps mapathon 2 months ago

201 mappers completed a square. I'm not kidding.

We completed 1641 squares in total.

Biggest completer of squares was tastrax, who only worked on Kivu. Then fpriem, mitruc and lbataille all marked over 30 squares as finished. tastrax was actually helping from somewhere deep in the south of Tasmania if I'm correct. The other three are all new mappers!

National Missing Maps mapathon 2 months ago

I had a look at Swaziland. We did ANOTHER 25.000 buildings!

The mappers were also looking for more things to do; they improved about 800 roads too.

National Missing Maps mapathon 2 months ago

Registrations kept coming in as we got on national radio in the morning. It got to 230.

I'll try and make more statistics later, but yes, on Idjwi we mapped over 23.000 buildings. I suspect a slightly smaller amount in Swaziland.

Not only did we make the national public television (VRT) , also the largest national commercial channel VTM. Both of the Flemish region, looks like the French speaking media didn't pick up on it in the same way.

African Roads and a Western Bias in Mapping 3 months ago

Only just taking into account the size of the connected place is not enough. I believe that when there are two roads connecting two places, and one is the preferred route, that one should have the highest classification. Road classification should help pick routes.

Of course, all extra effort on tagging roads with things like surface and or tracktype are welcome. To me, the western bias in OSM is quite clear in the fact that no main style uses this info to show which main roads are better or worse. The HOT style does an effort, but only at high zoom levels. Check my user diary for an example of what I'd like to see.

A MapRoulette Update: V2, Pedestrian Safety, GeoJSON, and Floating Ways in China 3 months ago

I saw quite a few of these floating roads in Peru and Bolivia too. The problem is the high res pic suddenly ends (or gets cloudy) and it is sometimes hard to even approximate its course. These days they are often fixable with Mapbox Sat - or an educated guess.

Showing off surface tags 4 months ago

SomeoneElse gave me some more info, and I can conclude that I wouldn't consider setting up Leaflet+Mapnik "quick and dirty" :) It is something I might be looking into though, looks interesting enough.

Styling subway networks in Overpass Turbo 4 months ago

This isn't just cool, it's also super easy. For the project you commented on at my diary, I just created this query. Absolutely impressive stuff. Overpass-Turbo is probably THE coolest tool in the OSM toolbox.

CR+ID Crowd-mapping Workshop using OpenStreetMap - Prosperidad & Tandag, Caraga, Philippines 4 months ago

OK, so you can only use lists on the new version (or the dev for now).

But I was in fact referring on how to get a list of uid's of a group of people who worked on a given project. What kind of query gets you that list here? You started with usernames? Or people working on a given area at a given time?

The short-list option you mentioned is something I'll definitely be using after this. Great!

Styling subway networks in Overpass Turbo 4 months ago

I had no idea that was possible. How did you get the transparent big nodes to disappear on the screenshot? When I run your query, they still do appear.

Now if you were to query the data with relation["type"="route"]["route"="subway"] , do you think you could feed the MapCSS with the colour tag?

How did you get the list of uid's for that overpass query?

Browser user script for the Diaries pages 4 months ago

Thanks for that, while we wait for someone to add this functionality to osm.org

Showing off surface tags 4 months ago

@Warin61 I'm more of a smartphone guy myself, and yes, Osmand does work, at least kind-of (as mentioned somewhere in the wall of text).

An adapted Garmin style might be a good solution for some people - not exactly for what I want to tackle, but it would definitely be something nice to have. To me it's rather painful that the two projects you mention are both non-OSM. You see this so often: if you want to do something specialist, you start a separate project. That way, OSM is destined to be not much more than a pretty basemap - and not get used as a global geographic database.

Welcome to the new Missing Maps 4 months ago

I always get a feeling of false dichotomy in these discussions. Sure, it is -possible- for a separate OSM and MM community to arise, but I don't think that is the reality.

Traditionally, OSM has grown from the nerdy circles of open source enthusiasts and geography fanatics. As these people mostly know OSM already by now, I've heard people say that the community can't grow much more. The lack of imagination is impressive. I see MM/HOT as a way to get people interested from a completely different background. My introduction about OSM at MM events is always something like "OSM is this crazy idea that makes unexpected things possible. It started with some people wanting some open data for England, and now you can drive from Alaska to Ushuaia with it. We also discovered that it's the best way to get geodata to NGOs". You cannot explain that MM is a crazy but possible idea without showing how the whole concept of OSM is completely outrageous - and working.

I also don't see the work we do at a Mapathon as the most important. We're just showing people what they can do with a few clicks of their mouse. So next time they use OSM and spot a mistake, they'll be more likely to fix it. So at the next disaster, more experience mappers will be available for a fast response.

Letting your thinking about the (real) issues be guided by the idea of a dichotomy which is not real, makes the problems seem larger than they are.

Welcome to the new Missing Maps 4 months ago

to identify the best and brightest to receive additional training and mentoring to become local champions and event hosts

Why should the best mappers be the best event hosts? I'll take myself as an example. I'll be hosting my third MM mapathon soon, but I have hardly mapped with Missing Maps myself. To host, you need to be able to explain the project (both OSM in general and MM), to motivate and to get people started. But my own mapping is guided by what I feel like doing that day, not the tasking manager.

Where was I ? 4 months ago

QGIS will give you a lot more options for prettier visualization.

How easy is it to get this data in JOSM? (I would love to see my own map, but I have about a 1000 tracks)