joost schouppe has commented on the following diary entries

DigitalGlobe Satellite Imagery Launch for OpenStreetMap 2 months ago

This is really massive gift. I've heard from happy people in the Congo and Bolivia, and even here in Belgium it's a great additional resource.

Missing Maps Mapathons as a recruiting instrument 3 months ago

Well I'm brewing on a little article about our welcoming project. As we don't do it all the time, we have an almost experimental setting going on to see if it has any effect.Which it doesn't seem to have on first inspection. The problem with all this stuff is that you can't expect it to have a real statistical impact; but your investment might occasionally have a huge return when you make the difference in turning a non-mapper to a heavy contributor. One or two of those outweigh your own time investment by a landslide. Thinking about one of the current OSM Belgium board members: he was recruited during a mapathon, but he's not in the statistics above. Why? Because he was so interested in the whole thing that he made an edit a few days in advance, hence was not "a mapathon recruited mapper" in the above definition.

Market shares of editors 3 months ago

About 5% of changeset share; but yeah, it was kind of haphazard and it doesn't add much to the graphs.

Market shares of editors 3 months ago

@simon and @ kevin: yep, I started off by sorting them by max market share over all the years. And maybe that .be aspect was part of it too :)

@Klumbumbus: that was the original plan, but then I started writing this thing instead. The images are on the wiki, so feel free to change that page.

Potlatch 2.5 3 months ago

New version is online! The imagery has been updated (and some of those QA layers are gone again)

Beginning the mapping of Phoenixville, PA 3 months ago

Osmand has quite a few features to collect info on the go to (add POIs, add Notes, but also collect pictures and soundbits). But if you want to collect as much info as possible, OSMTracker is great. Vespucci is great if you want to do most of your edits live in the field.

Personally, I use Mapillary a lot for collecting information. That way, your pictures are available to any mapper, not just yourself. You can access them directly in iD and JOSM. And they even detect traffic signs automatically (available by default in iD).

Overpass queries I should turn into maproulette challenges 4 months ago

Oh btw, you can also put them in a Mapcontrib environment, where you can stimulate your contributor to fix stuff by showing it with a prettier icon. In the example, stuff in red is "wrong", stuff in white is "correct". You'll have to zoom to the UK, Belgium or Germany to see some stuff. You can edit the things directly in mapcontrib if you first connect your account, then click on a POI, then click on the little pencil.

Overpass queries I should turn into maproulette challenges 4 months ago

I like the OverpassQL language better. Here's an example of finding stuff which has a string similar to oxfam in the name, but no fair_trade tag.

Those are good challenges, as you can easily look the info up on the internet.

Potlatch 2.5 4 months ago

Looks like the json you point at is not updated anymore. The correct link is mentioned here: https://github.com/osmlab/editor-layer-index/issues/305

Potlatch 2.5 4 months ago

Yes it does. Thanks. Sorry.

Potlatch 2.5 4 months ago

Ooh, noticed another issue: when you click on an inner way of a relation, you get the relation tags (but the outer way is not selected), and there seems to be no way to edit the properties of the inner way (say a residential area within a meadow)

Potlatch 2.5 4 months ago

Oh, both seem to apply :) Some of the layers are in fact 16th century state of the art. And all of them seem to be missing from that JSON file. I'll follow up on their issue tracker.

Potlatch 2.5 4 months ago

The list there does not seem to be used by Potlatch, and I understood that it it should (as in: is programmed to do so). I've only checked with the imagery available in Belgium.

Potlatch 2.5 4 months ago

I had hoped the update would have fixed the issue with editor-layer-index imagery not being available in Potlatch. Unfortunately not the case.

You can add it. But should you? 4 months ago

I agree that the level of detail we want to achieve should be limited by our ability to keep it up to date. That said, we're constantly working to increase our ability. Say you map you neighborhood in crazy detail. All it takes is finding a few people half as crazy as you to keep that work up to date. I've noticed how new mappers have different interests then "old" mappers: some of them like to add ever more detailed stuff, but others love fixing mistakes or reviewing existing work.

The argument about authority is a bit strange to me. We are not an authority on anything, all our data is free to deteriorate, be it for lack of updates or wrong edits. So your argument seems to lead towards an empty database. Even the "nobody is going to use it" argument is a bit strange to me. It's only after the fact that you can evaluate this.

In fact, I don't believe the growth of scope and detail in OSM is limited by any guidelines. it is only limited by what mappers want to map. And that seems to be working pretty well in general.

A valuable find - free parking in Florence 4 months ago

I've used impromptu=yes for situations like this. It's mostly used to mark camp spots that are used but not official

Processing MapSwipe output for the HOT Tasking Manager 4 months ago

Is the MapSwipe output available for download somewhere?

OSM & government, in Lithuania 5 months ago

Hi Alan,

Depends on the volume and what exactly you want to achieve. For exploration, QGIS is quite practical. You can just drag and drop shapefiles, you can add OSM tiles as a background and there's all sorts of ways to add OSM data. Then you can do some spatial analysis to find (mis)matches. But even umap or mapcontrib might work, depending on your goals.

Evolution of road network length in Flanders 5 months ago

Thanks Glenn :) Wednesday is OSM day, that's when this happens. However recently most of that time goes to organizing OSM stuff, rather than analysis.

Evolution of road network length in Flanders 5 months ago

Thanks @PlaneMad!

Well, in fact, what I wanted to show is that "mapping priorities" do exit, but they are not absolute. Yes, the most important stuff gets mapped first, but as they get mapped, some other people are already working on more details. Which is great, because by the time the "big stuff" is ready, the smaller stuff has already found its data model.

I think part of your answer is already there: yes, as geometry edits go down, tag edits seem to increase. And then we're talking about details. Turn restrictions are tricky, as they are relations and the osm-history-importer doesn't do that.

In fact, using the scripts I have lying around, I can give you the numbers for all the things you mention. I'll get around to writing about them; but publish them here asap I have the splitter and importer in a local Vagrant instance, and post processing is just based on flatfiles using SPSS scripts (which are easy to read and translate to something more open). I'll try to find out how to share that. Then it shouldn't be very hard to replicate stuff like this.