joost schouppe has commented on the following diary entries

Evolving roads 4 days ago

I do use the splitter and importer from that toolchain, but I used psql2shp to extract the data I needed. (I don't know enough Postgres to be able to do much rendering directly from there, and the renderer itself uses the previous generation OSM rendering which I don't know how to tweak)

OpenStreetMap Community Statistics Revisited 4 days ago

Simon, I don't have any previous experience with working with changeset dumps, however a huge file with the basic ingredients to generate the stats you made would be very useful for me.

As I don't speak but do read SQL, even the throwaway code would be interested if ever I get around to doing something with the changeset dumps.

OpenStreetMap Community Statistics Revisited 5 days ago

Is it easy to share a slightly rawer file too? I.e. a row is a contributor (or the unique combination of a contributor and the editor used), in the columns country, date, editor1, editor2.

Also, the source code zips seem to result in 1 kb files.

Raster gpstrace tiles as OsmAnd overlays 5 days ago

And the same can be done with Strava traces, about which I wrote a blog :)

We should totally add this to the Osmand wiki pages here (if it ain't already there)

Test 6 days ago

Looks like your test succeeded.

An open database of inconsistent edits observed on OSM from OSMCha 20 days ago

First, great stuff that all changesets can potentially be reviewed, and reviewed only once!

If dreaming is allowed, it would be nice to have as many tools as possible connect with a "revision database". For example, we use welcome.osm.be to review the first few changesets of new contributors as well as welcome them. Some of those edits are already fixed by an active reviewer, and they might reviewed a third time using your tool.

One way to avoid this, is to expand the capabilities of OSMcha itself. A necessary extra change would be to allow filtering by admin area instead of bbox.

A bit more complicated: a lot of those newbie changesets are just "slightly wrong", e.g. adding a path without a connection. Should there be a distinction between "harmful" and "needs fixing" or is the point just to find things that need fixing, regardless of ill intent?

Another feature worth dreaming about is to implement #pleasereview. This is an idea to allow people to self-flag their changeset to trigger human review. It would help the less confident mapper in their growth and help other mappers understand changesets. Implementing it on the OSMcha doesn't seem to need any special additions, maybe just a tracking tool at the stats page. The bigger thing would be to ask the iD, JOSM and Maps.me developers to add a feature to help add this tag to the changeset comment. The idea is explained a bit more here.

Mapcontrib about 1 month ago

Do you happen to know if it is possible to clone a map and start from there? E.g. I like this one and would like to make an English language clone without starting from scratch...

Mapillary coverage on OsmAnd about 2 months ago

Cool, thanks for sharing.

Just included it in my little map to check max speeds too. If you happen to be in Flanders, you can pick an official speed limits dataset too.

OpenStreetMap Data Analysis: Entry 1 about 2 months ago

I'm a little surprised by how little attention there has been to these very very cool tools.

One thing I wondered about though: it looks like a single edit to a country outline can colour every tile within that outline. I don't know exactly how vector tiles work, but would it not be an idea to exclude polygons which have no nodes within the tile?

History of all Tags 2 months ago

Would it be hard to implement permalinking to the charts one makes?

Praise for the OSM Help Website 3 months ago

You don't just give thumbs up, but even mark your questions as "answered"! It's a small minority that does both, so that's really nice of you.

I enjoy the Help site a lot too, both for asking and answering. There are some power users out there who give you extra credits for giving good answers. Collecting useless internet points is always fun, but it is really nice to get a nod of appreciation from them too.

Using OSM to improve government data 4 months ago

I've edited the text to explain a bit on the legal stuff.

Using OSM to improve government data 4 months ago

Hi Stereo, This is a usecase I've seen several times before, and no-one in the OSM-community I talked about things before ever thought it controversial. But uhm, now I'm a bit worried. The Road Registry "is open data", and that was always enough. It is licensed under the same Flemish Open Data Licence (of which I couldn't find an official English translation) that has been found compatible with re-use in OpenStreetMap. But I'm not sure if the movement in the other direction was ever investigated.

The analysis above is more of an "experimental" thing, and we only used OSM to spot mistakes - we didn't just copy OSM. But we'll have to put it on hold, I suppose, until we can clarify these legal issues.

Let's Talk Local at the Global State of the Map 4 months ago

Great to read all these opinions here.

Mikel is focusing more on formal organization. He will lead a session on what local chapters can mean for communities, and how OSMF can use those as an agent for local community building.

In the State of the Local Map, we will be talking with local community builders, about what works and what doesn't. Your opinion on that is extremely welcome. You were if course already invited to shape that discussion by responding to this thread: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2016-September/076845.html

A look into a sample of edits from MAPS.ME contributors from August 4 months ago

Well, this is what the wider OSM community should do IMHO: make a feed like Pascal Neis's new contributor where you can filter by editor. Write these to a little website (eg fork our Belgian effort) where people can share their analysis of those changesets. For example, generate a list of all first edits with maps.me. Build in a data dumping tool, so we can make stats to count the number of "crappy edits".

There are two things I think we can all agree upon that maps.me should do:

• explain more clearly what you are doing: "Looks like you want to share these points of interest with the rest of the world! That's great. Just make sure they're useful to the rest of the world. "My momma lives here" is not useful. "There is something of tourist interest here" is not specific enough. If you're not sure how best to map something, just write a Note for other mappers to solve. Want to know more about the database you're feeding? Head to learnosm.org".

• integrate OSM messaging into their app. Yes, response rate is always low when you contact other mappers (even very experienced ones), but several people have mentioned how low it is for maps.me users. I think something is going wrong there, from a technical point of view. If a maps.me OSM contributor receives a message on OSM, that should pop up within the app until they read it. It might make sense to introduce this a bit. "Remember you uploaded some points of interest to the internet? Well, the internet has a question to you about that".

I'm not really using maps.me myself, so maybe some steps in that direction are already there.

I'd like to point out that every "ooh this is all crap" comment makes it easier for the map.me developers to dismiss any criticism of their app.

It is just as obvious that maps.me introduces a whole lot of new problems, as that it is probably the biggest community expansion thing to happen recently.

Unless you want OSM to become your private garden, this is a wave of the future. Unless you want to start your own POI dump, you're going to have to listen to the old guard, whether they are friendly or fierce.

OSM Awards–Decision Guidance 4 months ago

Nicely done. For the "Influential writing" award I happily voted for yourself too :)

Visualizing OSM.org's Map Views 5 months ago

The comet tails: maybe a viewer popular in Russia that "flies" to your search query; similar to what Google Earth does.

Also: very very very cool.

Open road data for map improvement in Flanders, Belgium 5 months ago

Marc, Badita, both sound very interesting. I proposed a birds of a feather session (maybe at the hackday) on the subject. Please come :)

Open road data for map improvement in Flanders, Belgium 5 months ago

Hi Erick, the recent layer is weird. I tried it in iD and it worked, but direct tile access (e.g. in a leaflet map or manipulating the url you get from the images in labs.strava.com/heatmap/2014-2015.html ) does not seem to work.

I believe there is some sort of access restriction in place. Maybe they don't want us to use it, I don't know.