OpenStreetMap

joost schouppe has commented on the following diary entries

Post When Comment
Final countries entered, editing completed about 19 hours ago

"Honey, we need to go travel again, I've ran out of data to map."

Sounds like a conversation I might be having in a couple of months too.

Going to be using OSM for my charity walk next year, need some advice. about 19 hours ago

I used Osmand in the background during a three day (guided) hike on my LG G2 on a single battery charge. This was mostly to have a quick look at the map two or three times a day, and of course to have the GPX track.

If you switch on background navigation, choose a destination which is not seven days walking in the future, make sure the screen can't be waken up by Osmand (somewhere in navigation settings) and to be sure switch of the screen without Osmand open (i.e. just the home screen), battery consumption is VERY reasonable.

When it comes to helping OSM on the way, apart from the GPS tracks you make (do that anyway, you can make a nice map of your trip with those!), you can report mistakes in the map with the "Notes" or Bugs function; and you can also add all sorts of features you find on the road. Depending on what's important to you, those could include shelters, benches, water sources, campings, etc. Osmand knows all the correct tags, but if you're unsure, look at the wiki (google is your friend: "osm wiki the thing i want to map" will almost always come up with a very clear explanation). And in doubt, just make a "Note" with the description of the thing. Of course, this kind of work on the road does consume some battery, as you obviously need to switch on the screen a somewhat longer time.

I wrote a beginners guide on setting up Osmand for navigating and helping out on my blog, and recently found the Learn OSM project has a very good introduction.

Mi trabajo en OpenStreetMap 9 days ago

Chuta, tan cyptico soy? :) Quería decir que si es un problema para vos, puedo ayudar (soy de habla holandés, renovarlo inglés y español más o menos al mismo nivel)

http://thenextis.com es un proyecto OSM, creo que también funciona con Overpass. Nunca me ha fallado.

El grupo mas interesante es "Panamerican Travelers: Past, Present and Future". El otro es "Overland Sphere". Es posible que se necesita de alguien que te recomienda para poder juntarse al grupo.

No soy programador, ni en Java ni en Python. Pero tengo algo de conocimiento de la programación. Y las cosas que querría cambiar son muy al nivel de visualización: filtros, mapview.

Mi trabajo en OpenStreetMap 13 days ago

De hecho muy interesante, gracias por compartir.

Estoy terminando un viaje de un año por Sudamérica, y tenía más o menos los mismos necesidades que vos. Como Internet móvil era no especialmente de calidad fuera de Argentina y Chile, dependi más que todo de Osmand.

Los tracks grabados con Osmand, les subí a un umap: http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/nl/map/verlengd-weekend_8367 Lo bueno es que realmente se puede subir cualquier paso que haces, lo malo es que se necesita de bien Internet y un poco de tiempo para actualizarlo. Así que siempre está un poco viejo, lo que hace actualización automática muy interesante. Tengo un app que hace más o menos lo que tu escrito hace, Open Paths, pero no lo utilicé en este viaje. Creo que sería lindo combinar un umap con un tal sistema.

El segundo: donde hay pan, gasolina, camping. Conoces http://thenextis.com/ , tiene la misma ambición que tu mapa, funciona bien en móvil también. De nuevo, por falta de Internet, utilicé Osmand. Tiene buenos filtros de POIs ya instalados. He creado filtros mas: supermercados, panaderias y lugares con wifi. Obviamente, faltaban muchos, he puesto mucho mucho POIs nuevos, también con Osmand.

Soy activo en unos grupos de Facebook que hacen viajes largos con vehículo propio, y tienen los mismos necesidades que tu y yo. Por eso, he estado pensando trabajar en una versión de Osmand que ya está cargado con filtros a medida y con un render adaptado. Sería lindo hacer algo junto, haciendo un kit listo para utilizar, para cargar en smartphone o blog. Lingua franca es inglés obviamente, pero esto no debe ser problema.

Categorising paths 16 days ago

And now without the typos (working on smartphone)

I keep thinking about this as well. Relations are probably not the way to go in most cases. However, within a national park it is ok in my opinion to add all official trails to relations, and other de facto trails not. In the settings where I map, that should be enough in most cases.

I believe the analogy with primary, secondary etc roads is very good indeed. Within most developed countries, this gives a very intuitive result, as road quality (number of lanes, surface) and road function (important, less important) tend to go together. However, in countries with a less developed road system, this is not the case. For example, in Peru, all the most important roads are defined as trunk (to indicate they connect major places, following government classification). As there are hardly any real freeways, that means anything from a 4wd dirt track to a four lane paved road with separate lanes is tagged as trunk. Cross the border to Ecuador or Chile, and here they have decided to give priority to form. So even if the road is the only way to get to a town, it will still be tertiary if it is unpaved. Or a long primary road might have a small section tagged as tertiary if that part isn't paved. I believe the best way would be somewhere in the middle, though that would mean you need a visualization that shows both highway and surface tag.

In the case of paths, in most cases form and function will also tend to go together. A similar scheme with primary, secondary etc. paths might thus also work. I kind of do this already, mapping as footway "official" trails and "path" as trails that just exist. Unfortunately, the definition of these two depends very much on where you are. Maybe a combination of highway=path & path=secondary might be better. The lack of a clear definition is a strength: within a certain context it will work (a primary path will look very different crossing the Alps from crossing Central Park). And when this info is not enough, extra tags (analogous to surface for roads) are in order. That way, you can have much simpler ways of tagging quality, as they don't have to measure importance too.

Categorising paths 16 days ago

I keep thinking about this as well. Relations are probably my the way to go in most cases. However, within a national park it is ok in my opinion to add all official trails.to relations, and other de facto trails not. In the settings where I map, that should be enough.

I believe the analogy with primary, secondary etc roads is very good indeed. Within most developed countries, this gives a very intuitive result, as road quality (number of lanes, surface) and road function (important, less important) we very clear. However, in countries with a less developed road system, this is not the case. For example, in Peru, all the most important roads are defined as trunk (to indicate they connect major places, following government classification). As there are hardly any real freeways, that means anything from a dirt track to a four lane paved road with separate lanes us tagged as trunk. Cross the border to Ecuador or Chile, and here they have decided to give priority to form. So even if the road is the only way to get to a town, it will still be tertiary if it is unp?aved. Or a long primary road might have a small section tagged as tertiary if that part isn't paved. I believe the best way would be somewhere in the middle, though that would mean you need a visualization that shows both highway and surface tag.

In the case of paths, in most cases form and function will also tend to go together. A similar scheme with primary, secondary etc. paths might thus also work. I kind of do this already, mapping as footway "official" trails and "path" as trails that just exist. Unfortunately, the definition of these two depends very much on where you are. So Maybe a combination of highway=path & path=secondary might be better. The lack of a clear definition is a strength: within a certain context it will work (a primary path will look very different crossing the Alps from crossing Central Park). And when this info is not enough, extra tags (analogous to surface for roads) are in order. That way, you can have much simpler ways of tagging quality, as they don't have to measure importance too.

Belgian Mappers of the Month: Ruben & Josefien 18 days ago

I know it might be a bit too cliché, but when talking with my wife we had the idea that a Kerkstraat kind of mapping party might be a great way to increase knowledge of OSM, but also a way to attract more female mappers. "Next time, you'll have no trouble finding out where that cool new boutique is and whether it is open or not".

Also had a very similar idea you have about "adopt-a-new-contributor". Maybe we could set something like that up in Flanders/Belgium? I'd be willing to help out. We already have an automatic list of new contributors in Belgium we can use.

I think a great and easy way to help out absolute beginners might be to include a live chat window in the iD editor.

Edit in the city of Umm Ruwaba in Sudan 24 days ago

Isn't it Umm Ruwaba? The map thinks it's Um Ruwaba.

And are there really two racetracks in the city? See e.g. http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/335542840

You could add surface tags to the roadways.

It would be nice to try and get some GPX tracks for the area, to assure the aerial photography is well aligned. Sometimes there's an offset, so when you start drawing roads, they all might be 10 meters to the west.

What's next? More towns or more details in this place?

Categorising paths about 1 month ago

Interesting. One way that the distinction between official paths and shortcuts can be made that I haven't seen here is by using relations. This is often used outside urban areas to define long distance paths. See www.waymarkedtrails.org for a rendered map, the wiki for tagging. You could easily define the main paths in a park as part of a very local network.

That said, having walked and mapped paths in different parts of the world, I do agree that a simple classification would be useful. The approach to cut properties up in very many different tags appeals to my inner nerd, but it increases the learning curve and makes for a complicated decision process for data users. Your proposal on the other hand looks nice, but it does try to measure many dimensions at once and fit them in a single scale. That means you assume e.g. that an unobvious path will always be hard to walk (or easy?).

That's why I like Sander's proposal. It allows for a few very common, intuitive categories that actually have some features that do go together (forests tend to be muddy). It looks easy for data contributors and for data users. It might even cannibalize the specialty sac scale.

An idea for making it easier to link external data to OSM about 1 month ago

Geonick, I'm guessing you're Stefan by the picture. After the comments here and further discussion, I think your third point is exactly what I proposed to the iOverlander team. Three years after you came up with the idea :)

Some basic statistics for the state of the map in Flanders, Belgium 2 months ago

Escada, you're right. When classifying nodes, I saw a lot of them that add some information to roads: e.g. some roundabouts, highway=Ford ford etc. Hence my attention to these. It is, as you say, probably more I.interesting to use the tags on the ways themselves. I did build some indicators like that already, like how many roads have the surface tag, the maxspeed tag, resiresidential roads with and without name. I'm not sure on how to add this all up at the road network level.

Some basic statistics for the state of the map in Flanders, Belgium 2 months ago

Hey Sander, I don't have the data right now, but I think nodes tagged with something like "editor=JOSM" are to blame. These have been deleted around that time. I might exclude these from the totals.

2 years of overpass turbo 3 months ago

Not being a programmer and having manual-o-fobia, I second DaCor. Absolutely love the wizard as a way to get to know the thing.

Now for an interface that directly converts a query to a nice little global uMap to get those user numbers even further up :)

Invitaciones y bienvenidas a OSM 3 months ago

Usario naoliv escribio sobre este script en su diario.

En Belgica tambien estamos interesados utilizar un script para los mensajes.

Hizé algo parecido al proyecto de Jese hace un tiempo, vea mi diario

Address evolution in Belgium 3 months ago

So I should have tried the preview first...

building address    node address
2009    1       13
2010    183     685
2011    1365    1767
2012    12268   2563
2013    25846   4483
2014    62064   8529
2015    83720   19884
Address evolution in Belgium 3 months ago

Hey Sander,

I did some analysis myself on the history files. I use Mazdermind splitter and importer tool, so deleted items linger around and I'm not sure how it handles relations. Here's what I get for Flanders:

  poly address  node address

2009 1 13 2010 183 685 2011 1365 1767 2012 12268 2563 2013 25846 4483 2014 62064 8529 2015 83720 19884

My numbers seem to be a lot lower. Any idea why that might be?

My definition of an address was "has an addr:street and an addr:housenumber tag"

An idea for making it easier to link external data to OSM 3 months ago

Nandachuva, there is no necessity for there to be a one on one relationship between openstreetmap objects and external objects. In your example, it sounds like a reasonable query to ask OSM to show all statues related to one person from this person's wiki page. But what if there's a wiki page for the person and for the statue. Than the statue might need two values for the wikidata tag (u-oh). Or we would have the statue refer to the statue page, and create a relationship for the person (u-oh), containing the statues for this person. This relationship would then have the wikidata id for the person.

The second problem you mention looks more complicated to me. I suppose wikidata will only allow wikidata id creation for things that are 'notable'. I believe all things should -potentially- have an external id. I could theoretically just tagging things for my theoretical project, say introduce a openrestaurantid=Q123 , for my own selection of things that deserve an idea. But what I would really like a s a kind of API that allows any external project to ask to generate an external id to be written into OSM; and preferably all using the same tag. Maybe though, it would be better to do something like this with something like externalid:opentrip=Q123 and externalid:wikidata=Q111 , for a restaurant that has both reviews and a wikipedia page.

An idea for making it easier to link external data to OSM 3 months ago

Very interesting thoughts, thank you all very much. I didn't know about the wikidata tag. What makes this example so interesting, is that they could in fact refer to an object in OSM by the wikidata tag. Instead they refer to the relation ID. Here's an overpass example for a random thing with a wikidata tag: http://www.overpassturbo.eu/s/7wY

I wonder why they didn't do that. Yes, there are problems with my proposal, but much bigger problems with using an OSM id.

Documenting Process for Creating GPS Traces 3 months ago

I just use Osmand on my LG G2. Quality seems good enough to me, but of course, I'm using it mostly in not so densely populated areas. Here's an article I wrote about how to use Osmand to contribute to OSM. And here's a pretty map of the tracks I've been uploading to OSM over the past 9 months.

It's elegant they said. It will be eaiser to change street names they said. 3 months ago

@Peter Mead One building can easily have more than one address, so there is a real need to map some addresses as nodes. Address nodes also have the advantage that they can indicate an entrance: eg an apartment building can have two adresses, with entrances quite far apart. So I'd just map all addresses as nodes.