joost schouppe has commented on the following diary entries

Initial activity and retention of first-time HOT contributors 3 days ago

That is good to hear. I never thought the timestamps could be this useful. If ever I find the time to work on my project, I'll replace this measure of work with a more detailed one. I just counted the number of active days of all mappers - but then it would look like it does make sense to count actual mapping time. Which would be pretty cool - to make a map of the total hours worked on a given area in OSM.

Initial activity and retention of first-time HOT contributors 5 days ago

I don'tg exactly understand the measure of labour time. There are only timestamps every time you hit save, right? So for the first session, you can only guess. How many users only have one session? If this is a high number, your assumption will have a large impact on the estimate of average labour time.

The most striking graph for me was the box plot with experience/contribution rate. The median experienced user didn't really contribute much more than less experienced ones. But by the plot, the avarage would be much higher. So among the experienced mappers, there is a small minority who does A LOT of work. But it's not because you're an experienced mapper, that you belong to this super productive group. And it probably has to do with what you pick: if you trace five new roads in half an hour, you'll have much less changes to your name as when you reclassify fifty in the same time.

Don't know what to think of it of this research 16 days ago

That said, I used to run a little IFTTT project to collect the new contributors in Belgium. Not only did I welcome the mappers with some basic tips and links, I also did a quick revision of their first changeset. I couldn't continue this because I was on the road for a year, and unfortunately noone picked it up completely while I was gone. If we would still have done that, almost certainly all the mistakes would have been fixed within the week. Also, we wouldn't have to be doing all this hating, we would have just said: dude, this is not the way to go. Let's find another way to test your hypothesis.

That said, it's a pity this guy didn't just contact the openstreetmap community first. It's not that hard to create a pseudo-experimental setting to measure speed of correction of certain types of mistakes - and results would have been much more significant. It's a bit like going to a neighborhood and vandalizing some public property, just to measure how quickly local governement fixes stuff in different neighborhoods.

Don't know what to think of it of this research 16 days ago

I just heard that it was a university student in my hometown Ghent that did this. He did this within some research for a thesis (masters degree) comparing quality of OSM and other data sources for navigation purposes.

Power editing with OverpassTurbo and Level0 16 days ago

Dieter, I tried to contact the mapper in question two times now. No response. I think he speaks Russian, so maybe he just doesn't understand? I did talk to the local community before going ahead, and they were more than ok with it. I lived in Bolivia long enough to know that no village is called "Village" there. And if ever the user comes with a proper explanation, this is one easy edit to revert. So, yes, I should have waited a week or two before going ahead, but other than that, I really don't see a problem.

By the size and type of his edits (e.g. this and this, I think he's doing imports without mentioning the source. This has raised eyebrows before. Also note the lack of common node between rivers where they join - maybe an error when converting data?

As for the Maproulette or manual revision: I thought this might be useful, because I found a case where the residential area around the node had the name of the village, but not the node. But I checked quite a few of them manually, and didn't find any other cases. So no, a Maproulette task would not be useful to find the names. However, it might still be useful to add roads to these places. This is one area of the world where -a lot- of roads are still missing!

Power editing with OverpassTurbo and Level0 24 days ago

Hey Warin, I did check the history on some of these nodes. From what I can tell, it's remote mapping, not someone erasing real names. But in my enthousiasm I didn't think to stop and ask the mapper(s) who mapped the places like this. I wouldn't think twice to do that if I were stumbling upon them one by one, but I can see how that is different on this kind of scale. Sorry! I'll contact them now - this is really a simple edit, so a revert shouldn't be any problem. I edited the post above to warn people to do as you said.

Not that I can see any valid reason for the way to map it like it was. I understand the rules for situations where there could still be discussion about how to map things - I just didn't see this case as a possibly controversial one. And I did take some precautions, as you see above.

Potlatch 2: quickly move from task to task 26 days ago

Yes, this is very practical. Strangely enough it didn't work with the GPX output for this Overpass Turbo Query, but it did when exported to GeoJSON.

What's your OpenStreetMap story? about 1 month ago

I travel a lot abd like hiking and driving myself. A smartphone can do both, and OSM maps were the cheapest good solution. Started with Osmand because it also makes tracks, still using that. I knew you could edit the map, and soon learned that it was a lot of fun too.

Humantarian Map - Correction Required about 1 month ago

There is no way to make a map that pleases all countries in the world. Because Openstreetmap wants to make the most practically usefull map as possible, the consensus is to map according to control on the ground. For example, the Krim is shown as part of Russia, because for all practical purposes, it is. Even if this is not recognized by the UN or other countries.

Or is the mapped border not the de facto line of control?

map styles: Default OSM vs Google Maps about 2 months ago

One of the major shortcomings of the standard style (and any online maps I've seen), is the lack of surface visualization.

See the thread here: https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/110

This is hugely important in all countries except those where most of our contributors live :) Important roads might be unpaved, increasing travel times enormously. When planning long distance trips, this is about the first question you will ask the map: what roads are available, and are they paved.

Argentina is a good case, as all important roads are mapped as either trunk or primary, without concern for road quality. And almost all roads there have the surface tag. In countries like Peru and Bolivia, this is even more important information, but data is much less complete.

Top OSM Rank: Who are these crazy, amazing people? 2 months ago

I believe Katpatuka has done some imports too, admin areas. Nice to see lodde1949 here, human number we if I counted right. He's almost singlehandedly mapping the entire landuse of Flanders. A lot of work, as our zoning laws are a mess and land ownership incredibly scattered.

How many amenities are open for a given time? 2 months ago

Interesting idea. It might be interesting for practical use, like what are the common opening hours for banks or supermarkets in a given area (e.g. use the most common value for closing time). Or if you go city tripping, you might want to know if there's anything to do on a Sunday. Or if you're In city government and want workers to stick around after their shift ends, you might want to follow up on how many shops stay open after 5 pm. All the more important to map more POIs, with their opening times.

Final countries entered, editing completed 2 months ago

"Honey, we need to go travel again, I've ran out of data to map."

Sounds like a conversation I might be having in a couple of months too.

Going to be using OSM for my charity walk next year, need some advice. 2 months ago

I used Osmand in the background during a three day (guided) hike on my LG G2 on a single battery charge. This was mostly to have a quick look at the map two or three times a day, and of course to have the GPX track.

If you switch on background navigation, choose a destination which is not seven days walking in the future, make sure the screen can't be waken up by Osmand (somewhere in navigation settings) and to be sure switch of the screen without Osmand open (i.e. just the home screen), battery consumption is VERY reasonable.

When it comes to helping OSM on the way, apart from the GPS tracks you make (do that anyway, you can make a nice map of your trip with those!), you can report mistakes in the map with the "Notes" or Bugs function; and you can also add all sorts of features you find on the road. Depending on what's important to you, those could include shelters, benches, water sources, campings, etc. Osmand knows all the correct tags, but if you're unsure, look at the wiki (google is your friend: "osm wiki the thing i want to map" will almost always come up with a very clear explanation). And in doubt, just make a "Note" with the description of the thing. Of course, this kind of work on the road does consume some battery, as you obviously need to switch on the screen a somewhat longer time.

I wrote a beginners guide on setting up Osmand for navigating and helping out on my blog, and recently found the Learn OSM project has a very good introduction.

Mi trabajo en OpenStreetMap 3 months ago

Chuta, tan cyptico soy? :) Quería decir que si es un problema para vos, puedo ayudar (soy de habla holandés, renovarlo inglés y español más o menos al mismo nivel)

http://thenextis.com es un proyecto OSM, creo que también funciona con Overpass. Nunca me ha fallado.

El grupo mas interesante es "Panamerican Travelers: Past, Present and Future". El otro es "Overland Sphere". Es posible que se necesita de alguien que te recomienda para poder juntarse al grupo.

No soy programador, ni en Java ni en Python. Pero tengo algo de conocimiento de la programación. Y las cosas que querría cambiar son muy al nivel de visualización: filtros, mapview.

Mi trabajo en OpenStreetMap 3 months ago

De hecho muy interesante, gracias por compartir.

Estoy terminando un viaje de un año por Sudamérica, y tenía más o menos los mismos necesidades que vos. Como Internet móvil era no especialmente de calidad fuera de Argentina y Chile, dependi más que todo de Osmand.

Los tracks grabados con Osmand, les subí a un umap: http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/nl/map/verlengd-weekend_8367 Lo bueno es que realmente se puede subir cualquier paso que haces, lo malo es que se necesita de bien Internet y un poco de tiempo para actualizarlo. Así que siempre está un poco viejo, lo que hace actualización automática muy interesante. Tengo un app que hace más o menos lo que tu escrito hace, Open Paths, pero no lo utilicé en este viaje. Creo que sería lindo combinar un umap con un tal sistema.

El segundo: donde hay pan, gasolina, camping. Conoces http://thenextis.com/ , tiene la misma ambición que tu mapa, funciona bien en móvil también. De nuevo, por falta de Internet, utilicé Osmand. Tiene buenos filtros de POIs ya instalados. He creado filtros mas: supermercados, panaderias y lugares con wifi. Obviamente, faltaban muchos, he puesto mucho mucho POIs nuevos, también con Osmand.

Soy activo en unos grupos de Facebook que hacen viajes largos con vehículo propio, y tienen los mismos necesidades que tu y yo. Por eso, he estado pensando trabajar en una versión de Osmand que ya está cargado con filtros a medida y con un render adaptado. Sería lindo hacer algo junto, haciendo un kit listo para utilizar, para cargar en smartphone o blog. Lingua franca es inglés obviamente, pero esto no debe ser problema.

Categorising paths 3 months ago

And now without the typos (working on smartphone)

I keep thinking about this as well. Relations are probably not the way to go in most cases. However, within a national park it is ok in my opinion to add all official trails to relations, and other de facto trails not. In the settings where I map, that should be enough in most cases.

I believe the analogy with primary, secondary etc roads is very good indeed. Within most developed countries, this gives a very intuitive result, as road quality (number of lanes, surface) and road function (important, less important) tend to go together. However, in countries with a less developed road system, this is not the case. For example, in Peru, all the most important roads are defined as trunk (to indicate they connect major places, following government classification). As there are hardly any real freeways, that means anything from a 4wd dirt track to a four lane paved road with separate lanes is tagged as trunk. Cross the border to Ecuador or Chile, and here they have decided to give priority to form. So even if the road is the only way to get to a town, it will still be tertiary if it is unpaved. Or a long primary road might have a small section tagged as tertiary if that part isn't paved. I believe the best way would be somewhere in the middle, though that would mean you need a visualization that shows both highway and surface tag.

In the case of paths, in most cases form and function will also tend to go together. A similar scheme with primary, secondary etc. paths might thus also work. I kind of do this already, mapping as footway "official" trails and "path" as trails that just exist. Unfortunately, the definition of these two depends very much on where you are. Maybe a combination of highway=path & path=secondary might be better. The lack of a clear definition is a strength: within a certain context it will work (a primary path will look very different crossing the Alps from crossing Central Park). And when this info is not enough, extra tags (analogous to surface for roads) are in order. That way, you can have much simpler ways of tagging quality, as they don't have to measure importance too.

Categorising paths 3 months ago

I keep thinking about this as well. Relations are probably my the way to go in most cases. However, within a national park it is ok in my opinion to add all official trails.to relations, and other de facto trails not. In the settings where I map, that should be enough.

I believe the analogy with primary, secondary etc roads is very good indeed. Within most developed countries, this gives a very intuitive result, as road quality (number of lanes, surface) and road function (important, less important) we very clear. However, in countries with a less developed road system, this is not the case. For example, in Peru, all the most important roads are defined as trunk (to indicate they connect major places, following government classification). As there are hardly any real freeways, that means anything from a dirt track to a four lane paved road with separate lanes us tagged as trunk. Cross the border to Ecuador or Chile, and here they have decided to give priority to form. So even if the road is the only way to get to a town, it will still be tertiary if it is unp?aved. Or a long primary road might have a small section tagged as tertiary if that part isn't paved. I believe the best way would be somewhere in the middle, though that would mean you need a visualization that shows both highway and surface tag.

In the case of paths, in most cases form and function will also tend to go together. A similar scheme with primary, secondary etc. paths might thus also work. I kind of do this already, mapping as footway "official" trails and "path" as trails that just exist. Unfortunately, the definition of these two depends very much on where you are. So Maybe a combination of highway=path & path=secondary might be better. The lack of a clear definition is a strength: within a certain context it will work (a primary path will look very different crossing the Alps from crossing Central Park). And when this info is not enough, extra tags (analogous to surface for roads) are in order. That way, you can have much simpler ways of tagging quality, as they don't have to measure importance too.

Belgian Mappers of the Month: Ruben & Josefien 3 months ago

I know it might be a bit too cliché, but when talking with my wife we had the idea that a Kerkstraat kind of mapping party might be a great way to increase knowledge of OSM, but also a way to attract more female mappers. "Next time, you'll have no trouble finding out where that cool new boutique is and whether it is open or not".

Also had a very similar idea you have about "adopt-a-new-contributor". Maybe we could set something like that up in Flanders/Belgium? I'd be willing to help out. We already have an automatic list of new contributors in Belgium we can use.

I think a great and easy way to help out absolute beginners might be to include a live chat window in the iD editor.

Edit in the city of Umm Ruwaba in Sudan 3 months ago

Isn't it Umm Ruwaba? The map thinks it's Um Ruwaba.

And are there really two racetracks in the city? See e.g. http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/335542840

You could add surface tags to the roadways.

It would be nice to try and get some GPX tracks for the area, to assure the aerial photography is well aligned. Sometimes there's an offset, so when you start drawing roads, they all might be 10 meters to the west.

What's next? More towns or more details in this place?