joost schouppe has commented on the following diary entries

Mapping with Strava 7 days ago

Thanks for this elaboration, it does make your point much clearer. I especially like your point of not adding detail you're not sure about. It's something we often say in statistics: "it's better to be about right than exactly wrong".

Mapping with Strava 7 days ago

Hi Bushman, I don't really understand the problem you're trying to point out. I believe you're trying to say that GPS have systematic error, not random error systematic error, not random error That does have an impact in some cases, but mostly in deep valleys or urban areas, where reflections confuse units. In forests, I would say error tends to be random. Except of course for the tendency to adjust the measurements to expected outcomes. But generally speaking, many tracks are better than just one. In the use case I'm describing, that is the only choice you have, as they are not visible on sat pics.

Mapping every turn restriction in Toronto 20 days ago

Interesting stuff anyway. A toolchain is getting born :) I was just made aware of this project, that creates a simple report about the comparison between OSM and reference road data. We couldn't get it to work, though.

Mapping every turn restriction in Toronto 21 days ago

This is extremely interesting!

We have a lot of open geodata these days, and a tool like this might make it so much easier to conflate those with OSM. I've been experimenting with this recently, for example taking an open data feed and a live Overpass query to compare mapping quality and completeness (case: dog parks).

The list of "invalid" items is something which might be quite valuable to the official data sources. In Flanders (the northern half if Belgium), we now have very extensive road and path open data. It is more complete than OSM, but it is also often outdated. So a matching is going to be a lot of work. Do you think the data-mapper could be adapted to something as big as this? See this thread for info and a comparison map.

Does Open Street Map have an input API? or Upload feature? about 1 month ago

Many new contributors like you have wanted to jump in by importing. The most important thing to realize is that most OSM data is handcrafted by volunteers who do this because they like doing it. Most external data is made by people payed to do it. You will find that OSM data might be sparse and incomplete, but the quality of what is there is phenomenal. Most of the time, external data will be either of bad quality or evaluated to really different quality measures. In practice, that means you will either need a complicated technical solution, or will just be able to use external data as a starting point. Either way, it is a bit more complicated than feeding an API.

OSM is not a collection of geographic features but an integrated database of things with a spatial component. For well defined things, it might be more efficient to look elsewhere. For example, for address databases, there's this project.

Maps.me is a new evil (instead of Potlatch)? about 1 month ago

And the same goes for iD. The first time you hit that Edit button on OSM.org, you know nothing at all about the project. Hell, three years after that, I still feel like I know next to nothing. We even have a whole team needed to keep us up to date of only just the most important stuff!

That said, of course we need to make the tools as good as possible. The maps.me editor is obviously a very good idea, even if it has many faults at this time. Let's not waste time complaining and demotivating the makers of this great tool. Let's just give them constructive feedback on how they can make it better.

Why I am supporting Brussels about 1 month ago

It will be a pleasure to welcome you :)

Oh, and location-wise, here's the building where most activities will take place.

Entrevista a la comunidad OSM en PerĂº 2 months ago

Gracias, compartiendo con @osm_be

Mapping My Hometown 2 months ago

By Indian standards a small town indeed, but I believe it should be tagged as something larger than a hamlet :) Check this site for some guidance on the appropriate tag.

If you want to work on it a bit more, it's always strange to see so many houses without streets to get to them.

Anyway thanks for contributing, keep it up!

National Missing Maps mapathon 3 months ago

201 mappers completed a square. I'm not kidding.

We completed 1641 squares in total.

Biggest completer of squares was tastrax, who only worked on Kivu. Then fpriem, mitruc and lbataille all marked over 30 squares as finished. tastrax was actually helping from somewhere deep in the south of Tasmania if I'm correct. The other three are all new mappers!

National Missing Maps mapathon 3 months ago

I had a look at Swaziland. We did ANOTHER 25.000 buildings!

The mappers were also looking for more things to do; they improved about 800 roads too.

National Missing Maps mapathon 3 months ago

Registrations kept coming in as we got on national radio in the morning. It got to 230.

I'll try and make more statistics later, but yes, on Idjwi we mapped over 23.000 buildings. I suspect a slightly smaller amount in Swaziland.

Not only did we make the national public television (VRT) , also the largest national commercial channel VTM. Both of the Flemish region, looks like the French speaking media didn't pick up on it in the same way.

African Roads and a Western Bias in Mapping 4 months ago

Only just taking into account the size of the connected place is not enough. I believe that when there are two roads connecting two places, and one is the preferred route, that one should have the highest classification. Road classification should help pick routes.

Of course, all extra effort on tagging roads with things like surface and or tracktype are welcome. To me, the western bias in OSM is quite clear in the fact that no main style uses this info to show which main roads are better or worse. The HOT style does an effort, but only at high zoom levels. Check my user diary for an example of what I'd like to see.

A MapRoulette Update: V2, Pedestrian Safety, GeoJSON, and Floating Ways in China 4 months ago

I saw quite a few of these floating roads in Peru and Bolivia too. The problem is the high res pic suddenly ends (or gets cloudy) and it is sometimes hard to even approximate its course. These days they are often fixable with Mapbox Sat - or an educated guess.

Showing off surface tags 5 months ago

SomeoneElse gave me some more info, and I can conclude that I wouldn't consider setting up Leaflet+Mapnik "quick and dirty" :) It is something I might be looking into though, looks interesting enough.

Styling subway networks in Overpass Turbo 5 months ago

This isn't just cool, it's also super easy. For the project you commented on at my diary, I just created this query. Absolutely impressive stuff. Overpass-Turbo is probably THE coolest tool in the OSM toolbox.

CR+ID Crowd-mapping Workshop using OpenStreetMap - Prosperidad & Tandag, Caraga, Philippines 5 months ago

OK, so you can only use lists on the new version (or the dev for now).

But I was in fact referring on how to get a list of uid's of a group of people who worked on a given project. What kind of query gets you that list here? You started with usernames? Or people working on a given area at a given time?

The short-list option you mentioned is something I'll definitely be using after this. Great!

Styling subway networks in Overpass Turbo 5 months ago

I had no idea that was possible. How did you get the transparent big nodes to disappear on the screenshot? When I run your query, they still do appear.

Now if you were to query the data with relation["type"="route"]["route"="subway"] , do you think you could feed the MapCSS with the colour tag?

How did you get the list of uid's for that overpass query?

Browser user script for the Diaries pages 5 months ago

Thanks for that, while we wait for someone to add this functionality to osm.org