Rovastar has commented on the following diary entries

Recent edits not showing. over 1 year ago

Well I'll try and answer.

It can take a while to update the map on higher zoom levels.

Your golf course you did seems to be visible on zoom level 13 but not 12 and beyond.

I know that these sort of zoom levels it can take weeks and maybe months before they appear. This is frustrating when you add large areas like woods, golf courses, etc.

For the vets I don't think currently they display on the map. I am looking at the helping with the new updated design of the map which hopefully be included on the main map. I'll add vets to the list of things that need to be rendered. Generally the adding of new features rendered to the map has slowed (stopped) over the last few years, Things do more slowly on openstreetmap. Hopefully in the near future this will change or I might "do one" too. ;)

Regarding the other issues. Personally I can see it can be confusing with all the different communication channels, forums, mailing lists, personal messages, the help message board at help.openstreetmap.org, the user diaries, most with different registrations/logins.

I don't mind where you post I will try and answer when I see it - I actually like the user diaries for commenting/asking/answering question.

There is a new editor iD http://ideditor.com/ is coming soon. That is designed to address some of the issues that you may have with Potlatch. But some people do like potlatch others, myself included, like a more detailed editor like JOSM http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ but it is horses for courses.

It is a shame in your area (I read the previous diary posts before) there are not that many active mappers. It is fairly typical that many area have only 1 or two key mappers but sometimes others mappers do come and go. Some post every couple of months, etc.

Hope that helps. If you have more question just ask or send me a message.

What cuisine would you say a "Harvester" [UK] is? over 1 year ago

I think steak_house is the closest to what it is. salad_and_grill just doesn't look right and I am not a fan of inventing new types just for 1 thing.

Let's face those that go there you might eat salad there but you not going out go there for salad...even pizza hut has a salad bar.

A quick look at the harvesters tagged in the uk only 4 have cuisine defined. 2xsteak_house (including yours), 1 x british and 1x farmhouse so no real consensuses there.

Activity 2 over 1 year ago

Welcome to openstreetmap editing.

I did some changes years ago to both Newbury and Oxford when I used to work and live down there.

For Newbury surely the, what I call "new", town centre shopping centre has been finished now. If you are that way maybe you could add that rather than the current construction site.

Google Map Maker over 1 year ago

I have got to sat I don't understand why openmapbrowser is better. I couldn't see anything that would encourage me to edit. I cannot see an edit button or anything.

And a fail to see how Google draws us in I just see a tiny "edit in google map maker"

Am I missing something here?

I agree we should try something to encourage more contributors and at times (most times) there is a massive reluctance to change anything on the front page.

I hope with the new editor coming that might spark some forward thinking.

Advanced rendering of tags over 1 year ago

umm posting css type code here doesn't work well

Advanced rendering of tags over 1 year ago

Thanks pieleric

I'll get a message to him at some point.

Looking at it I think it might be able to scale it better

First off I have never even used CartoCSS and not even installed it all yet but logically you could

Brain dumping my initial thoughts here.

[zoom=16] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale([way_area]0.00001)"; } [zoom=17] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale([way_area]*0.00002)"; } [zoom=18] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale([way_area]0.00004)"; } [zoom=19] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale([way_area]*0.00008)"; }

or even

[zoom>=16] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale([way_area]0.00001([zoom]-16)^2)"; } (no idea on the syntax of that one for powers)

instead of all the [way_area=12000][way_area<17000] etc in the code. So it could just be a couple of lines.

Probably some technical reason why you cannot but logically that makes sense.

[sport='soccer'] {

[surface='grass']::surface { polygon-fill: @sport-surface-grass; } [d12>130][d1268][d23150][d132 = length / 2>3 = width */ point-file: url('symbols/fr/sports-soccer.svg'); point-ignore-placement: true; [way_area=12000][way_area=17000] { [zoom=16] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale(0.175)"; } [zoom=17] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale(0.35)"; } [zoom=18] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale(0.7)"; } [zoom=19] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale(1.4)"; } [zoom=20] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale(2.8)"; } } }

[d23>130][d2368][d12150][d132 = length / 2>3 = width */ point-file: url('symbols/fr/sports-soccer.svg'); point-ignore-placement: true; [way_area=12000][way_area=17000] { [zoom=16] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]+90) scale(0.175)"; } [zoom=17] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]+90) scale(0.35)"; } [zoom=18] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]+90) scale(0.7)"; } [zoom=19] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]+90) scale(1.4)"; } [zoom=20] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]+90) scale(2.8)"; } } } }

Advanced rendering of tags over 1 year ago

Sorry that should say

Is there a CartoCSS code/style for this?

Advanced rendering of tags over 1 year ago

Excellent stuff. Looks great.

There is a CartoCSS code/style for this? Then maybe we could merge it with what will eventually go on osm.org.

I would be nice if the lines on the pitches where relative to the pitch size as they seem fixed and sometimes outside the green pitch render.

Italian jewellery almost 2 years ago

Clever spam though. ;)

Open geospatial's & OSM's bright future in Cleveland (2013 Kick-Off Meeting Recap) almost 2 years ago

Great to see local groups like this starting up. Keep up the good work.

I had a quick look at your pdf.

Can I ask why you used an old picture of the stats graph on page 3 from the end of 2010.

2004 Start of OSM 2011 OSM status * 300,000 registered users * 1,9 billion GPS points * 740 million nodes * 65 million polylines

as now we have more than doubled these figures, we have:

1,000,000+ registered users 3.2 billion GPS points 1.75 billion nodes 167 million ways

No Man's Land almost 2 years ago

Realistically there will be very few regular mappers compared to the million+ signed up users. Maybe tens of thousands a month.

So pinging them to get in touch (at the moment unlikely) for a village in Mid USA. The US is, in reality, still a new OSM frontier, but changing fast in recent times as more people start to use OSM (There are lots of US mapping startups like Mapbox promoting and pushing the boundaries and US centric sites like Craig's list, USAToday, etc getting OSM maps on there sites all these led to more users contributing) .

The UK has a lot of mappers and a mature map now but there are many, many cities of 200,000+ people that have no regular local mappers, let alone "hardcore" local mappers that add the majority of the map.

But if this all sounds like doom and gloom only a year or two ago there was only the basic map in my own local area (Derby, UK) but it is vibrant now. http://osm.org/go/eu26JQtS-

But the best advice for mapping is go at your own pace.

It is sensible to map things that could not disappear overnight, roads, footpaths, parks, woods, etc as these will likely stay for decades, so I always mapped those first. Then major features hospitals, schools, supermarkets, etc. Once you have these then go for further details.

Everyone only have so much time to dedicate to mapping so do what you think is best and/or what interests you.

UK football Stadium mapping almost 2 years ago

I'll be getting to Wolves soon enough. The list I am working from was in alphabetical order by Stadium Name (I should have done by club but I have started now) And now I am onto the letter H and around 1/3 of the way through but Molineux will arrive soon enough.

Updating housing sites nos 1, 2 & 3 almost 2 years ago

It does take a little to get used to but once you have got it, JOSM in my opinion is the superior editor for precision.

Glad to see another mapper in the East Midlands.

History tab: current vs new - local survey edits comparison almost 2 years ago

Nice one Pawel. Glad to see my request I email you is implemented. Looking forward to this on the OSM page.

There are more and more of these global/large scale edits recently (and they are needed to correct some of what is in the database).

1 million is a big number almost 2 years ago

@dcp

As Harry said most websites don't work this way where you can delete an account.

Try deleting an account from hotmail, facebook, any forum/message board, etc. There might be an exceptional way to do this but if far from common.

I cannot imagine many, if any, people request to close an account unless they want they contributions deleted. The overhead to the admin is minimal, in fact I would say it would be more work to create a system to delete accounts then the do them manually.

1 million is a big number almost 2 years ago

Ummh my comments seem to have disappeared I'll posted again......

A great summary of where we are at so far.

Actually (from osmstats.altogetherlost.com) it is more like 4/5ths or 80% don't make an edit at all (208,000 from 1 million).

[http://osmstats.altogetherlost.com/index.php?item=members under the graph No. of members who are the last modifier... (Node, Way or Relation)]

But there more as in the past since the license change 6 months about 350,000 new users have joined and only about 25,000 of those users have made edits. So the current rate is about 7% of new users in the past 6 months actually commit an edit.

But there are many reasons for this (I suspect even more spammers than we didn't catch, etc) and didn't want to be negative just to get a better understanding of the stats so we know if we improve the "conversion rate" - but lets shout about the million "users".

Also there is a new group the Welcome Working Group that is helping address how to welcome new users and encourage more editing and identifying the reasons why so few do edit.

1 million is a big number almost 2 years ago

A great summary of where we are at so far.

Beaches without the Sea about 2 years ago

It is natural=sand that gets rendered. I see no problem with this.

I dabbled with mapping golf courses earlier this year. Even though I have never played and have no interest....I just thought it was odd that "famous" places/places in the news were not mapped when you could armchair map them easily.

I was considering it as a project (detailed mapping of golf courses and creating useful examples of the wiki - like leisure = pitch, sport = golf and golf = green for the green - both tagging for the wiki and render) but got bored (and started the football stadium project) and only mapped parts of a few.

Here is Muirfeild where I mapped the 1st hole as a sort of experiment.

There is one bunker that is mapped near green that is golf=bunker and natural=sand that is rendered, the rest are beach as that is what is mapped most.

Beaches without the Sea about 2 years ago

This is very common I would say the de facto standard when mapping golf courses.

I don't agree with tagging it as beach as I have no idea why they are not mapped it as natural=sand.

And now it is a classic case of the growing "anti-tagging for the renderer" and refusing to state it has sand in when it obviously has.

I tell you what rather than blindly following the wiki maybe someone could update the wiki.

Single Point of Failure about 2 years ago

From what I understand there are many dev but only 1 admin.