Rovastar has commented on the following diary entries

Advanced rendering of tags over 1 year ago

Thanks pieleric

I'll get a message to him at some point.

Looking at it I think it might be able to scale it better

First off I have never even used CartoCSS and not even installed it all yet but logically you could

Brain dumping my initial thoughts here.

[zoom=16] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale([way_area]0.00001)"; } [zoom=17] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale([way_area]*0.00002)"; } [zoom=18] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale([way_area]0.00004)"; } [zoom=19] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale([way_area]*0.00008)"; }

or even

[zoom>=16] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale([way_area]0.00001([zoom]-16)^2)"; } (no idea on the syntax of that one for powers)

instead of all the [way_area=12000][way_area<17000] etc in the code. So it could just be a couple of lines.

Probably some technical reason why you cannot but logically that makes sense.

[sport='soccer'] {

[surface='grass']::surface { polygon-fill: @sport-surface-grass; } [d12>130][d1268][d23150][d132 = length / 2>3 = width */ point-file: url('symbols/fr/sports-soccer.svg'); point-ignore-placement: true; [way_area=12000][way_area=17000] { [zoom=16] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale(0.175)"; } [zoom=17] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale(0.35)"; } [zoom=18] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale(0.7)"; } [zoom=19] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale(1.4)"; } [zoom=20] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale(2.8)"; } } }

[d23>130][d2368][d12150][d132 = length / 2>3 = width */ point-file: url('symbols/fr/sports-soccer.svg'); point-ignore-placement: true; [way_area=12000][way_area=17000] { [zoom=16] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]+90) scale(0.175)"; } [zoom=17] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]+90) scale(0.35)"; } [zoom=18] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]+90) scale(0.7)"; } [zoom=19] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]+90) scale(1.4)"; } [zoom=20] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]+90) scale(2.8)"; } } } }

Advanced rendering of tags over 1 year ago

Sorry that should say

Is there a CartoCSS code/style for this?

Advanced rendering of tags over 1 year ago

Excellent stuff. Looks great.

There is a CartoCSS code/style for this? Then maybe we could merge it with what will eventually go on osm.org.

I would be nice if the lines on the pitches where relative to the pitch size as they seem fixed and sometimes outside the green pitch render.

Italian jewellery almost 2 years ago

Clever spam though. ;)

Open geospatial's & OSM's bright future in Cleveland (2013 Kick-Off Meeting Recap) almost 2 years ago

Great to see local groups like this starting up. Keep up the good work.

I had a quick look at your pdf.

Can I ask why you used an old picture of the stats graph on page 3 from the end of 2010.

2004 Start of OSM 2011 OSM status * 300,000 registered users * 1,9 billion GPS points * 740 million nodes * 65 million polylines

as now we have more than doubled these figures, we have:

1,000,000+ registered users 3.2 billion GPS points 1.75 billion nodes 167 million ways

No Man's Land almost 2 years ago

Realistically there will be very few regular mappers compared to the million+ signed up users. Maybe tens of thousands a month.

So pinging them to get in touch (at the moment unlikely) for a village in Mid USA. The US is, in reality, still a new OSM frontier, but changing fast in recent times as more people start to use OSM (There are lots of US mapping startups like Mapbox promoting and pushing the boundaries and US centric sites like Craig's list, USAToday, etc getting OSM maps on there sites all these led to more users contributing) .

The UK has a lot of mappers and a mature map now but there are many, many cities of 200,000+ people that have no regular local mappers, let alone "hardcore" local mappers that add the majority of the map.

But if this all sounds like doom and gloom only a year or two ago there was only the basic map in my own local area (Derby, UK) but it is vibrant now. http://osm.org/go/eu26JQtS-

But the best advice for mapping is go at your own pace.

It is sensible to map things that could not disappear overnight, roads, footpaths, parks, woods, etc as these will likely stay for decades, so I always mapped those first. Then major features hospitals, schools, supermarkets, etc. Once you have these then go for further details.

Everyone only have so much time to dedicate to mapping so do what you think is best and/or what interests you.

UK football Stadium mapping almost 2 years ago

I'll be getting to Wolves soon enough. The list I am working from was in alphabetical order by Stadium Name (I should have done by club but I have started now) And now I am onto the letter H and around 1/3 of the way through but Molineux will arrive soon enough.

Updating housing sites nos 1, 2 & 3 almost 2 years ago

It does take a little to get used to but once you have got it, JOSM in my opinion is the superior editor for precision.

Glad to see another mapper in the East Midlands.

History tab: current vs new - local survey edits comparison almost 2 years ago

Nice one Pawel. Glad to see my request I email you is implemented. Looking forward to this on the OSM page.

There are more and more of these global/large scale edits recently (and they are needed to correct some of what is in the database).

1 million is a big number almost 2 years ago

@dcp

As Harry said most websites don't work this way where you can delete an account.

Try deleting an account from hotmail, facebook, any forum/message board, etc. There might be an exceptional way to do this but if far from common.

I cannot imagine many, if any, people request to close an account unless they want they contributions deleted. The overhead to the admin is minimal, in fact I would say it would be more work to create a system to delete accounts then the do them manually.

1 million is a big number almost 2 years ago

Ummh my comments seem to have disappeared I'll posted again......

A great summary of where we are at so far.

Actually (from osmstats.altogetherlost.com) it is more like 4/5ths or 80% don't make an edit at all (208,000 from 1 million).

[http://osmstats.altogetherlost.com/index.php?item=members under the graph No. of members who are the last modifier... (Node, Way or Relation)]

But there more as in the past since the license change 6 months about 350,000 new users have joined and only about 25,000 of those users have made edits. So the current rate is about 7% of new users in the past 6 months actually commit an edit.

But there are many reasons for this (I suspect even more spammers than we didn't catch, etc) and didn't want to be negative just to get a better understanding of the stats so we know if we improve the "conversion rate" - but lets shout about the million "users".

Also there is a new group the Welcome Working Group that is helping address how to welcome new users and encourage more editing and identifying the reasons why so few do edit.

1 million is a big number almost 2 years ago

A great summary of where we are at so far.

Beaches without the Sea almost 2 years ago

It is natural=sand that gets rendered. I see no problem with this.

I dabbled with mapping golf courses earlier this year. Even though I have never played and have no interest....I just thought it was odd that "famous" places/places in the news were not mapped when you could armchair map them easily.

I was considering it as a project (detailed mapping of golf courses and creating useful examples of the wiki - like leisure = pitch, sport = golf and golf = green for the green - both tagging for the wiki and render) but got bored (and started the football stadium project) and only mapped parts of a few.

Here is Muirfeild where I mapped the 1st hole as a sort of experiment.

There is one bunker that is mapped near green that is golf=bunker and natural=sand that is rendered, the rest are beach as that is what is mapped most.

Beaches without the Sea almost 2 years ago

This is very common I would say the de facto standard when mapping golf courses.

I don't agree with tagging it as beach as I have no idea why they are not mapped it as natural=sand.

And now it is a classic case of the growing "anti-tagging for the renderer" and refusing to state it has sand in when it obviously has.

I tell you what rather than blindly following the wiki maybe someone could update the wiki.

Single Point of Failure almost 2 years ago

From what I understand there are many dev but only 1 admin.

UK football Stadium mapping about 2 years ago

thanks for the support. Yes, lets discuss.

There are few issues that I am coming across.

Beyond First Edits! about 2 years ago

I had a quick look it seems that you have not joined the footpath lines to anything.

Join them to the roads, etc then routing will work correctly.

The Monkey Puzzle pub switch2osm! about 2 years ago

But it would be nice to show the pub name like Google Maps goes. That area isn't even highly/micro mapped yet.

Yeah as well the universally known blue square for train and tube stations......to go with showing all the (disused) tube lines underground on the map.....

At least Mapbox got UK styling right

The Monkey Puzzle pub switch2osm! about 2 years ago

Great you got them to switch however again our own map lets them down as the renders doesn't display their pub name.

Why would any company want to switch when it is like that?

I know it is down to the renderer, zoom level, etc but unless you start getting other map providers involved and then their custom maps involved it will not appear (hardly simple/desirable).

Public perception and predjudice... about 2 years ago

I often find "OpenStreetMap is too cluttered", etc really means "its not the same as Google maps" Most people want to see exactly the same as Google. Really do they complain that Google maps is too cluttered in areas it has buildings, footpaths compared to those without.....no they don't. Therefore I don't take too cluttered to seriously.

Personally I like seeing the detail. In fact I would like to see more things rendered, lets make multiple lane roads bigger, deeper zoom layers, etc on the main/Mapnik map. It discourages people from mapping in detail. Why should anyone map for example, a skateboarding park if it never appears? We need a full detailed map for these things. And like has been sated openstreetmap is the map for 99% of people.

Maybe just make the options to change the map style more visible - Maybe even first time visitors get a option screen for map style. Get new kids on the block have the map options on the homepage. Some of great terrain Mapbox style maps. http://mapbox.com/blog/mapbox-streets-terrain/ Or beautiful Stamen http://maps.stamen.com (great example of showing different options to maps on their homepage. We could do something like this...)

We do need to make more of this fact. Gary Gale from Nokia maps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSRWy9kMf00&feature=relmfu thinks we need to do more with OSM styles too. (about 25 mins in)

And make it so you can save you settings you you always have your mapstyle.