EdLoach has commented on the following diary entries

Where have all the boundaries gone? 2 months ago

Ah, I see the change from "should" to "must" was recent.

Where have all the boundaries gone? 2 months ago

I suspect if they are mapped according to the instructions in the wiki they still show. Around here all boundaries are also relation based, but the key point in the wiki is you also need the highest level admin_level (so lowest value) on the boundary ways.

No more mapping 3 months ago

You still have z19 which is pretty good (and the best I have here after I also lost the higher res zooms). Hopefully you'll check at intervals to see if an updated higher res layer becomes available (my theory is that Bing is expiring imagery over a certain age, as it seems to be missing from their site too, at least in the two or three cases I've checked previously - the highest resolution here was older than the z19 stuff).

foot paths 3 months ago

In case you aren't aware of it, one of the many ITO Maps available shows sidewalk/footway coverage. Click the "key" top left to see what the different colours mean.

OpenStreetMap UK: what should we do this year? 4 months ago

Locally, I (now try and only) add buildings as I add the surveyed addresses (there are a few buildings mapped from before I did this though). It helps keep track of where still needs surveying.

I agree with you about shops. I was in Pier Avenue, Clacton the other day which is somewhere where I had mapped the shops previously, and updated them once in mid-summer this year. I noticed an empty one which I didn't remember so took a panoramic shot of one side of the road with my phone. I think there were 3 or 4 shops that needed updating. But again, it is much easier to update the tags on an already mapped shop than mapping it from scratch, so having them mapped hopefully makes it easier for new people to start contributing to OSM.

What is the OpenStreetMap convention? Do we tag addresses on buildings or on separate nodes? 6 months ago

When I first started mapping addresses there was no aerial imagery so I did each address as a separate node (in the UK this is). Once OS OpenData StreetView and later Bing imagery was available I gradually replaced these by buildings with addresses on the way, based mainly on One feature, one OSM element as having the building and the address of the building separate just felt wrong.

I occasionally use addresses on nodes still. One example being where there are two or more shops in a building with a shared entrance.

I also tend to generally map what is at ground level, so haven't yet worried too much about where there are shops on the ground level and residences above them. There is one particular row of shops where I know this to be the case and for now I've only mapped the shops. To survey the properties above I'd have to go through a private gate, up a flight of stairs, then along an alley on the top of the flat shop roofs. Just a bit too private for me.

Schools: are they areas or points? 7 months ago

The example on the amenity=school page mentioned above is pretty good, but it isn't clear where to put the address tags. I suspect the area that is tagged amenity=school is the most logical, especially where a single school has multiple buildings.

Skye 7 months ago

Coastlines have updated and Skye is back (some tiles might still show as blue if they haven't been rerendered since the update).

Skye 8 months ago

I suspect this fix was too late to make the latest set of coastlines and it will get fixed at the next update.

North Korea is strange 8 months ago

Perhaps it is a copyright message ;)

Bridge to nowhere 10 months ago

If you're happy it has been mapped properly, I noticed someone added this note earlier so you could close it.

GPS Traces 10 months ago

It seems I can't edit previous comments. It sets the start date/time to 01/01/1900 00:00:00Z and counts up in seconds.

GPS Traces 10 months ago

In case it is of interest, GPX_Editor has a menu option to anonymise the times (I've not tried the option so don't know exactly what it does).

Ed

What cuisine would you say a "Harvester" [UK] is? 12 months ago

Their main menu is labelled "Harvester Salad and Grill" in the logo, as are the logos on their website, so if I were to use the cuisine tag I'd use cuisine=salad_and_grill (in the style of fish_and_chips). This would fall under the "user defined" category on the wiki page you link to.

The last two winter meet-ups, and first summer one TONIGHT about 1 year ago

Hey, Harry, why aren't your photos horizontal rather than vertical. My scroll finger is getting RSI...

Somerset Levels and Moors (Part 2) about 1 year ago

If it is the Somerset Levels National Nature Reserve boundary you wanted, then the boundary will be available in their data downloads section which are licensed as OGL and so compatible with Openstreetmap's ODbL licence. I've probably got a copy here somewhere (as at May 2012 when I downloaded loads of zips).

Day 2 about 1 year ago

You'll probably carry on getting similar messages while you are tagging things wrongly. Read some of the other links made in other comments. What you are doing is fine, but it is the way you are tagging things that is causing the problems, so just find a way of tagging things which works for everyone.

Hack Weekend at 10gen over 1 year ago

It can't have been too chaotic if you managed to avoid biting the camera while holding a slice of pizza in front of your face...

noaddress layer on qa.poole.ch over 1 year ago

Hi Simon,

I mentioned the layer to a local mapper who checked stuff they'd mapped and gave me examples of this pub where the postal name is the pub name. Should the pub name be put in both name and addr:housename fields in such a case?

Another question they raised was regarding farm buildings (barns, etc) which are part of a site relation which I notice the wiki shows as Proposed and Abandoned, even though the tag page shows over 133,000 such relations. In this case the address would probably go either on the relation or the way/multipolygon relation with role perimeter.

Something similar applies to school buildings where the address is on the amenity=school area rather than the individual buildings within the area.

But it is still a useful tool to check buildings without addresses.

Thanks

Ed

Mysterious Object in China found over 1 year ago

See Tibetan (Uchen) here: http://www.visiblemantra.org/avalokitesvara.html - I think it is nearly identical, though your image has an extra character at the end.