EdLoach has commented on the following diary entries

OS Street View Copyright Easter Egg about 1 month ago

If it is a Copyright Easter Egg it is more likely to catch users that aren't attributing rather than those such as OpenStreetMap that are. It does suggest that all ways with a source:name=OS* tag should really be surveyed at some point though.

Addressing 3 months ago

That is something I have noticed when surveying locally - it gets much harder at dusk as it gets harder to read some house numbers from the street. I find myself thinking 'What if they need to call an ambulance?' and then think perhaps even my own house could do with a more visible number for such cases (it is in the glass of the door, which many people fail to spot when they first visit).

SOSM - thanks, I've used Vespucci for other mapping, but not for addresses. I tend to prefer adding buildings once you know how many properties they represent (so I can use the JOSM terracer plugin to split a rectangle, rather than drawing each property, drawing the outer rectangle starting with the short side at the high number end seems to work best).

Learn-a-tag: driving_side=left/right 3 months ago

Looking at the usage figures in taginfo (as displayed in the wiki page you linked to) I wondered if this tag was used for any exceptions, so followed the overpass link to find this example, and this one - I'm suitably amazed that there are such roads and that OpenStreetMap has a tag for them.

Addressing 3 months ago

Address data isn't readily available in the UK though without paying large licence fees to use the data. In my immediate town the address data is probably as good as most satnavs; better if people haven't been installing updates which add the newly built properties. District wide it is getting there - perhaps 90%. Further afield less so.

Addressing 3 months ago

I think different methods work better for different people. I've tried various methods (initially GPS waypoints with notes of the address, when I was adding addresses as nodes before we had aerial imagery available, then using OSMTracker on my old phone walking down roads using custom gpx waypoints using text such as 23. to say 23 is on the left, nothing opposite, or 34/36.43/45 for a semi-detached 34/36 is on the left opposite 43/45 on the right - if I'd walked the other way along the road it would be 36/34.45/43 depending on the number I get to first).

But now I tend to just use paper and pen making similar notes to the above which I map back to buildings on aerial imagery as I add them. I don't usually trace the buildings first in case I need to add multiple addresses to one building when I get back - I find it easier to add the addresses to the buildings as I go rather than add them later. It might just be me...

That is in urban areas where houses are closer together. In rural areas I've taken to driving slowly along country lanes shouting out house numbers (or more often house names) to my dashcam, though have previously cycled with pencil and paper. We don't have end of drive letter boxes here, and I'd feel uncomfortable taking photos zoomed in on people's front doors.

I did once have a woman ask me not to add her address to OSM when she asked what I was doing walking along a cul-de-sac making notes. I respected her wishes by not doing so, but mapping all the other numbers and mentioning it on IRC - someone managed to interpolate the missing number on the unnumbered house.

Oh, and another time I got questioned by a PCSO that some locals had phoned having seen someone walking around their village looking at all the properties and making notes. I explained what I was doing and managed to convince them - I had sufficient stuff on me like a GPS, printouts of what had already been mapped in the area, and possibly even a phone signal to demonstrate, but I now also carry a leaflet in my wallet just in case.

Steve's Answers 3 months ago

Yes, thanks for sharing. It inspired this.

New mapping addict 3 months ago

I visited my parents for Christmas and planned walking routes to nearby pubs based on where addresses still needed collecting (which seemed to be most areas - I must visit more often...). On the day that it rained (so my paper would have got soggy address collecting) I switched on the notes layer and worked out a driving route to check out a few of them to see if I could close them).

Yes, it can be a bit addictive trying to make the map that bit better than it was before. Enjoy...

Cleaning up admins 6 months ago

Good luck with tidying. If you start considering whether the correct admin level has been added to ways that are in multiple relations, I have a report for the British Isles - the errors you can perhaps ignore as I think they are where political boundary relations have been added as subareas of administrative boundary relations.

Also ignore the "unnecessary tag" bit - it seems Mapnik still needs the highest level admin value on the ways for rendering if I've understood this discussion correctly.

Hiking with Mapillary – aftermath 7 months ago

An interesting diary post which encouraged me to investigate Mapillary a bit further (I'd heard the name previously), and have now signed up and installed the app. Now to try and find time to take some photos.

The first thing I mapped… 8 months ago

Bus routes, maybe?

10th Anniversary Name Fix Challenge 8 months ago

A quick note in case it helps anyone else - the Street Joseph Street example suggests checking the way history, but the linked way is v1. That is because it was split from this way where the railway line splits the road in two, and the bot damage was before the way was split.

Opening Hours 9 months ago

I found this plugin quite handy for adding opening_hours for some of the local fast food places. It was so easy I even added delivery_hours for them as well.

Complex Intersections, or Why We Should Get Rid Of exit_to 10 months ago

OsmAnd uses the destination tag. I don't know about exit_to.

I could never work out how putting information on a node could easily be calculated about which way(s) the information applied to, so haven't used it. Perhaps OK on say motorways and interstates (if you haven't had to split the interstate at that node for a change in the number of lanes, or similar) where you only have one way actually starting at that node, but not for general use.

Translate OpenBeerMap in your language ! 10 months ago

Not related to the translation (my French isn't good enough, sorry), but it only seems to show pubs that are nodes (and not pubs that are areas, or probably multipolygons - though I can't think of any to check), and in the area I checked it is showing cafés as having beer which in England at least is rare. Another UK oddity might be real_ale=yes/no/* which if you're going global would be of some interest to that particular target audience.

Where have all the boundaries gone? about 1 year ago

Ah, I see the change from "should" to "must" was recent.

Where have all the boundaries gone? about 1 year ago

I suspect if they are mapped according to the instructions in the wiki they still show. Around here all boundaries are also relation based, but the key point in the wiki is you also need the highest level admin_level (so lowest value) on the boundary ways.

No more mapping about 1 year ago

You still have z19 which is pretty good (and the best I have here after I also lost the higher res zooms). Hopefully you'll check at intervals to see if an updated higher res layer becomes available (my theory is that Bing is expiring imagery over a certain age, as it seems to be missing from their site too, at least in the two or three cases I've checked previously - the highest resolution here was older than the z19 stuff).

foot paths over 1 year ago

In case you aren't aware of it, one of the many ITO Maps available shows sidewalk/footway coverage. Click the "key" top left to see what the different colours mean.

OpenStreetMap UK: what should we do this year? over 1 year ago

Locally, I (now try and only) add buildings as I add the surveyed addresses (there are a few buildings mapped from before I did this though). It helps keep track of where still needs surveying.

I agree with you about shops. I was in Pier Avenue, Clacton the other day which is somewhere where I had mapped the shops previously, and updated them once in mid-summer this year. I noticed an empty one which I didn't remember so took a panoramic shot of one side of the road with my phone. I think there were 3 or 4 shops that needed updating. But again, it is much easier to update the tags on an already mapped shop than mapping it from scratch, so having them mapped hopefully makes it easier for new people to start contributing to OSM.

What is the OpenStreetMap convention? Do we tag addresses on buildings or on separate nodes? over 1 year ago

When I first started mapping addresses there was no aerial imagery so I did each address as a separate node (in the UK this is). Once OS OpenData StreetView and later Bing imagery was available I gradually replaced these by buildings with addresses on the way, based mainly on One feature, one OSM element as having the building and the address of the building separate just felt wrong.

I occasionally use addresses on nodes still. One example being where there are two or more shops in a building with a shared entrance.

I also tend to generally map what is at ground level, so haven't yet worried too much about where there are shops on the ground level and residences above them. There is one particular row of shops where I know this to be the case and for now I've only mapped the shops. To survey the properties above I'd have to go through a private gate, up a flight of stairs, then along an alley on the top of the flat shop roofs. Just a bit too private for me.