philippec has commented on the following diary entries

A Quarter of a Million Images of Turkmenistan 15 days ago

By the way, ask for Belgium.

A Quarter of a Million Images of Turkmenistan 15 days ago

I plan to move back into my heimat. That is one of the reasons that I picture my current region in a frenzy way.

Update NEW map imagery [necessary] 21 days ago

There is something to learn. Why do you ask ?

Update NEW map imagery [necessary] 21 days ago

The Southern Cross of the Russian Empire, and A Neat Trick with Mapillary GPX FIles 21 days ago

If you are into GPS, I even have more for you to learn.

Why don't you log with https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.geopp.rinexlogger

and postprocess into a gpx file ?

With my Samsung S9, the rinexlogger works in the background.

The Southern Cross of the Russian Empire, and A Neat Trick with Mapillary GPX FIles 23 days ago

And no Strava there, I suppose ?

To be more accurate = Mapillary makes a folder for each sequence. In that folder there are the jpg files of 1 sequence and one gpx file.

adjusting the map to the satellite background about 1 month ago

Is that not dangerous ? Is it not for the people who know what they are doing ?

Updates to Dashoguz and the Road North from Ashgabat about 1 month ago

There is something wrong with the date filter in Mapillary. Could you give the link ?

OpenStreetCam sign detection code and training data open sourced 2 months ago

I wait for a better smartphone to contribute.

Notes, notes, and more notes 2 months ago

I have an idea that can satisfy everybody and it is without categories = Let the individual mapper follow/unfollow notes. The unfollowed notes would normally become invisible to that mapper.

Harder = Or let people vote for notes : love/hate or like/dislike or worthy/silly

Notes, notes, and more notes 2 months ago

Notes should be OSM's fuel, now they are rather a burden.

Notes, notes, and more notes 2 months ago

And here an important note, the new Passenger Cruise Terminal in Brussels. It has even been on television. It is probably difficult to map. https://www.openstreetmap.org/note/1323520#map=16/50.8951/4.4008&layers=N

Notes, notes, and more notes 2 months ago

That is a difficult one. Would really no one have made such a list before ? I don't feel smart enough to do that. There have been plenty discussions about worthless notes. https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=57577

They could be categorized by the work the author did put into it. Or by the origin : anonymous OSM, Navmii,...

The importance is the most subjective criterium : I did put an hour of work photographing the shops in a backward vicinity, you could call it HOT work. But it was not seen as important. https://www.openstreetmap.org/note/1306417

Some people copy and paste the same note randomly all over the country when a walking network changes. That is seen as important.

The age of a note might be a criterium. But then again, how do you compare a life ring to a shop ? https://www.openstreetmap.org/note/1216316#map=15/51.0102/4.5417&layers=N

Some people use notes to tell about road works two years in the future. That could make a town full of notes.

The most honest note is the one where a mapper asks for advice about the tagging and then tags it himself. The silliest (or most amusing) notes I ever encountered was a distinguished mapper who asked about shops that were closed and he could not distinguish in the dark and even about houses of which he thought it could be shops.

I prefer to make notes about objects that do not interest me, but someone else. Some mappers like that, a well documented note with pictures. Others think I am just lazy.

Look at my profile to understand what I talk about.

The Hand-Cut Pass Through Solid Rock in Turkmenbashy, Turkmenistan 2 months ago

Nice. I never saw that on National Geographics.

Notes, notes, and more notes 3 months ago

Do you see a possibility to categorise the notes ?

Augmented Editor – OSM-Daten vor Ort und in Echtzeit bearbeiten 4 months ago

That must be a joke because there is no real link to the project. Anyway, it is a good joke and I appreciate it. It might become true.

Better than the usual "Google is taking over .."

Building an inclusive map - OSM and gender discussion 4 months ago

Alexkemp has a point. Nowadays only the retired dare tell their thoughts.

Iron Acton 4 months ago

Good of you to consider the locals.

Building an inclusive map - OSM and gender discussion 4 months ago

When there is one woman at a serious science gathering the male men flock around her to help. When there are two women, these women book a room to discuss gender equality.