Mapper since: January 31, 2011
I live between two places: San Ramon, California and Ahualoa, Island of Hawaii, so both of those are well modeled in OSM. I love JOSM and leverage the power of its scripting plugin. I do all hand-modeling, no imports; even my scripted edits are manually and visually verified before upload. I admire users like katpatuka and Heinz_V who make massive manual contributions to remote parts of the world. Usually, I enjoy finding under-mapped parts of the world to contribute to (Sudan, Somalia, Mongolia…)
As of 2015, some notable things I worked on:
- Created the town of Gereida, Sudan which was a blank spot on the map (see Lost city in Darfur)
- Fixed/added missing provinces of Iran, including Hormozgan and Sistan and Baluchestan
- Won the first Telenav 30-day challenge mostly by doing massive Tiger cleaning in North and South Carolina, including the entire city of Lumberton
- Assembled the relation for the Klamath River, only to discover that Nominatim couldn’t find river relations. They fixed it, but it still sometimes doesn’t work
Since then (2016 and 2017), I’ve taken on some big challenges:
- Cleaning up some of the worst aspects of the Canvec and USGS-NHD imports in Canada and the USA, especially NHD in North Carolina.
- Trying to stay in the top-10 on the MissingMaps leaderboard by pro-actively filling in tons of detail in remote, unmapped places.
- Helping finish #MapLesotho
- Constructing more big river relations.
As of February 2018, my OSM rank extract shows that my global node/way rank is around #26/#7; katpatuka is #5/#28 and most of the rest of the top-ranked account are bots and imports, not humans :)
See my heat map.