DaCor has commented on the following diary entries

My christmas gift for the OSM Community - JOSM Keyboard Shortcuts Cheat Sheet 300 DPI 25 days ago

ok, now one for iD ;)

Well done, fantastic and hugely useful

Preannouncement for a new project with a long name 25 days ago

No, dont have linux installed or virtual machine

Preannouncement for a new project with a long name about 1 month ago

You lost me at command line :P

From Mapper to Validator to Judge about 1 month ago

@BushmanK no we havent gotten to that stage yet.

Right now we are working on completing as much of the validation work before our next trip in Feb.

One of the goals during the in-person training will be the use of KeepRight, OSMI, Overpass etc for further improvement of the data.

This validation sprint is more focused on making sure the task requirements have been met for each tile to as high a standard as possible.

I would love to load up all the additional validation tools as part of this sprint, however I think it would be too burdensome at this stage

Belgian Mapper of the Month: Polyglot about 1 month ago

Going to have to check out that PT route plugin, cheers :)

Re-tagging picnic sites with leisure=picnic_site and amenity=picnic_site to tourism=picnic_site about 2 months ago

leisure=picnic_site - 100 items tourism=picnic_site - 83,313 items

In other words, of 83,413 sites, 0.12% are tagged as leisure versus 99.88% tagged as tourism

I think its safe to conclude leisure is obviously incorrect

Lets not over complicate where its not needed.

If they're tagged wrong, they should be corrected.

Objetivos about 2 months ago

Nice work!

Shipping JOSM configuration plugin about 2 months ago

I really like this. I am going to have to play around with it during the holidays.

Awesome work

Dejaré de dar las Bienvenidas a OSM... about 2 months ago

Many thanks for doing this. Its just a shame this isn't something we could do automatically

A Mapper in the Spotlight: Lutz Lange (Germany) about 2 months ago

great interview

A new version of the OSM Edit Report is here! about 2 months ago

That volume of edits is easy to do if you are doing something like realigning / enhancing previously mapped content.

Combine Major highways using scripting plugin 2 months ago

I only ask because you don't mention it, but does your script avoid merging where pieces belong to relations?

OpenStreetMap Foundation Chairperson's Report for the Annual General Meeting 2 months ago

The waiver program, honestly never knew about that

I was hinting at something more along the lines of what @Vincent suggests. Something that is automatic and requires minimal oversight and maintanence during the year.

I can't see any other method having much success and I don't mean that as a criticism, just that if possible, the simplest solution should always be applied

Creating interpolated GPX files for Mapillary 2 months ago

@nighto, didnt realise that :)

Something to consider, the membership fee is a tiny amount in the western world, however can be equal to a weeks wage in poorer regions.

Is there a way to account for this disparity and enable members from lower income areas to show their support in an affordable and realistic way

Creating interpolated GPX files for Mapillary 2 months ago

That video is under the Standard Youtube License, Mapillary is under CC-BY-SA

Is there a conflict between those?

How large are our national contributor communities and how are they developing? 3 months ago

@woodpeck I understand that view however i disagree with it. I think time has proven that sitting back and waiting for things to happen is the worst possible way to growth.

OSM is what, 11 years old now, and has 2-4 registered local chapters, maybe 2-3 dozen other active "communities" and the rest are loners who happen to live within the same boundaries.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not talking about kickstarting in the fashion you suggest however without providing some means of enabling local communities to connect inside OSM at a regional or national level, you are losing out on those folks who want to get together and connect simply because they don't have the means to find others.

In all seriousness, get someone who has never edited OSM before to sit down and create an account on the site and ask them to try connect with the local community. Its not possible. You have to leave the site, go to Google, end up in the wiki and go to an external site, find another means to connect e.g. facebook or other and possibly install software (IRC).

As I said, I am not talking about kick starting in the manner you suggest, I am talking about making it easier for people who want to connect, to actually connect. The rest, as you say will happen naturally, but there are smart "hands-off" things that can be done to facilitate that development.

Personally, I would be a lot less focused on where there are active communities and more concerned with where there is little to no mapping going on, notwithstanding access to the internet or population

OSM, as a whole does a pretty poor job of helping to develop local communities.

A Mapper in the Spotlight: Dave Corley (Ireland) 3 months ago