trigpoint has commented on the following diary entries

Unmapped tertiary roads 14 days ago

@couponbirdscom I'm not sure why you have problems with GPS and village roads, I only have GPS problems in city Urban Canyons.

Why I am supporting Brussels 4 months ago

Looking forward to it too, and a reminder to UK folks that Eurostar booking for SOTM period opens at the end of the month.

Natural language vs. abstract tags 10 months ago

Very interesting post, I am a native English speaker.

I will try to clarify a few points as I see it.

wood=coniferous, wood=deciduous

This dates back to the way Ordnance Survey map woodland and how I suppose most British mappers think of woodland. More scientific methods have come into, but they make it harder for a normal mapper to add detail. Native woodland in England and Wales is, as far as I am aware, decidicous. Conifer will mean it has been planted for forestry.

##shop=kiosk This tag does not really make sense on its own, a kiosk is a type of shop where the customer is served outside. Usually selling newspapers or ice cream. It needs extra tagging to explain what it is, such as kiosk=newsagent / kiosk=ice_cream in the same way as shops.

##pharmacy / drugstore A pharmacy will have a qualified pharmacist on duty who is qualified to dispense prescription medicines and offer advice on non-prescription medicines. There are certain medicines which do not need a prescription, but can only be sold by a pharmacy. Over the counter medicines can be sold almost anywhere, but in strictly limited quantities. In the UK the term pharmacy is interchangeable with chemist, chemist is probably more commonly used for the shop, pharmacist referring to the person. I first came across pharmacy when I was learning French, growing up it was always the chemist.

Drugstore is an American word. rather than English. I am not sure exactly what it means.

##Supermarket / Mall Mall is again an American word, the English which I would use in tagging would be shopping_centre.

In the UK the dilemma doesn't really arise, they are clearly different things and whilst a supermarket can be part of a shopping centre the distinction is obvious. I can see where you are coming from, the big Auchan/Carrefour shops in France could be tagged as either.

Tagging sidewalks and crossings 10 months ago

@robert Separate-way sidewalks should only be mapped where there is a separation otherwise the break pedestrian routing.

UK ITO! OSM Analysis has new road comparison data from OS Locator 11 months ago

Hi James, this looks interesting but how do I view this data?

Thanks Phil

Top 25 cities in the world by the number of POI about 1 year ago

I see that Birmingham is there, how did London and Nottingham do?

Translate OpenBeerMap in your language ! over 2 years ago

EdLoach is correct, the only pub that shows up in my hometown is the one that I have not yet converted to a building.

Hence this one shows.