skorasaurus has commented on the following diary entries

changing mapping interests over 2 years ago

robbie, that's so true !

With only the TIGER import done in my area, there's been so much to do !

When I first started, a large majority of ways in my city were untouched from the TIGER import. So, I began verifying every road in my city, reclassifying it if necessary (nearly all roads were imported as residential which isn't always the most appropriate), adding one way if applicable, and realigning. Almost 2 years later, I still haven't visited every highway in my city and haven't done much with that lately but I'm likely about 70% done.

After that, I've focused more on mapping tracing ways with bing in senegal where I lived for 6 months, and it had very little mapped when I began. Since then, whole cities have been mapped, where 12 months, maybe just one road existed.

Now, it's a combination of adding roads and other features in senegal, doing TIGER fixup (adding bridges, removing ways that don't exist, realignment) in other parts of my home state, Ohio; and adding new businesses, . Right now, beginning to tackle more advanced things like importing boundaries of the national park near me.

Cleaning Up GPS Traces for OpenStreetMap and Visualizations over 2 years ago

After a bit of experimenting, I found the best workflow was to use the test3 filter (mentioned above) and manually removing the points in gpsprune (from the scribble effect) is the easiest way to clean up your GPS points.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be an existing automated way of removing the scribble effect.

Beyond First Edits! over 2 years ago

Hey dan,

Thanks for the compliment, it is far from done =)

I didn't get a notice on your comment until you sent me the mail. I realized that a user isn't notified when someone else comments on a diary entry after you do, so I made a ticket for it.

Regardless if Paul uploads GPS traces as 'public' 'identifiable', etc, they are available for anyone to use and will be visible with.

This wiki page gives a good description on the difference between public, private, identifiable GPS traces

Once you upload them, anyone else can view them and then create a road by tracing over your GPS trace.

Some people stick to areas that they've visited themselves but it is encouraged and okay to edit an area that you've never been to and relying on the aerial imagery and others gps traces (this is known as armchair mapping). Others, they map everywhere.

Beyond First Edits! over 2 years ago

hey,

Awesome to see such enthusiasm to OSM ! Just to briefly answer some of your questions:

If I upload GPS traces as "public", will people besides me edit them, or is it usually just the uploader doing it?
  • your gps traces are available to all other users to see but they cannot edit the timestamps or any tags that you applied to them when you upload them

I also osmtracker on my android, and like other gps devices, you're GPS signal is not perfect, you'll notice there's a little 'accuracy 5m' on the top of the main screen of osmtracker, which means that there's up to an error up to 5m of your current location. Even if your signal isn't perfect (I usually get no better than 2-3m; usually it's 5-10m), for example 10m, it's still accepted to upload that trace.

“survey:2012-10-25 with Bing correction” in the source tag is quite acceptable. If you don't remember the exactly survey date, for example, I've seen other users just put survey or what I just personally do, is put a brief note of what I edited and its source, like "[personal visit, bing]" in the comment before I Upload my changes to the server (called a changeset) http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Changeset I haven't used potlatch much so I don't know if making a changeset comment is any different.

Just mapped The Legacy Village over 2 years ago

hey, thanks for mapping it, very nice job. extremely detailed. cool that you had fun. that's not too far from me - probably about 30km.

I only have visited once or twice in the past couple years (it's where many very well-to-do in the cleveland area go to shop) and that's there so much other mapping to do in Cleveland and other osm-related projects that I (and the handful of other users) haven't had time to map it yet.

There's also also another shopping complex, beachwood place just diagonal from there too. :P

WOF#7. Import guidelines almost 3 years ago

This is a great start! Although I've only done one import before, I'd probably also move the license to the second step, after all, doing all of the work and then finding out that you cannot add the data would be disappointing.

The Growing OSM Community in Cleveland, Ohio (USA) almost 3 years ago

Minh, Unsolicited !

That some of the students have continued to edit is great ! I also saw one of them edit in Cleveland as well.

secondary_link appears underneath residential ways ?! almost 3 years ago

Thanks for the responses... I understand that it shouldn't be secondary_link (and probably secondary) and I'll change it, but I wonder why secondary_link appears like that in the first place.

OSM.org UI updates about 3 years ago

Thanks too for the devs for implementing them.

OSM.org UI updates about 3 years ago

I noticed this as well and was about to make a diary entry on it ! I'm a little surprised the dev's didn't make an entry in the news section on the wiki.

I don't know which specific changes were implemented and when, but I like the changes. =)
[Notably, a user's current page's button has a green background and the borders for each button were removed.

How I Map: TIGER Cleanup about 3 years ago

I meant to send this as a comment instead of a private message...

With road classification, I use the same practices as you for TIGER (here in Cleveland, OH). I also find tertiary relatively ambiguous, with no absolute rules of when it should be applied. I usually decide whether it's tertiary [or unclassified or residential] by a combination of factors: if the speed limit is 35, as opposed to 25 in most residential, the amount of businesses/other uses other than residential on the way, the amount of traffic it receives [relative to roads in the area], the # of lanes, and last, certainly, not least, just a general feel.

Efficiently merging government park boundaries in JOSM about 3 years ago

Thanks for detailing this !

I'd also like to import the parks in my area (they're also available as a shapefile), although it's admittedly not high on my priority list. If I ever get around to it (or the more likely scenario, I can point another user to this if they wonder how), I'll keep this in mind and bookmarked !

My Mappy Christmas about 3 years ago

As far as I know, the only kindle maps that use OSM are at: http://www.kindle-maps.com/

roh-oh on the Hudson Bay. about 3 years ago

It looks like it's been fixed =)

U of L progress. about 3 years ago

Cool, looks like it's coming along well.

bday:) about 3 years ago

Mappy birthday =)

How to mark a single point on OSM and share it with friends (Tutorial) over 3 years ago

Rom1,
thanks for mentioning facilmap ! I never heard of it before and it's current with OSM data !

zartbitter,
You're welcome.

How to create an OSM extract of your city. over 3 years ago

Thanks for the info, I'm anxiously waiting to try that query once more as each time I have tried [3 or 4 today], the server is overcrowded :(

After just 2 or 3 seconds of submitting the input I have received the message:
Error: runtime error: open64: 0 /osm3s_v0.6.95_areas Dispatcher_Client::request_read_and_idx::timeout. Probably the server is overcrowded.

How to create an OSM extract of your city. over 3 years ago

I tried nicolasdumoulin's approach
and it unfortunately left me with the same results that I had experienced earlier, missing segments of the administrative border. :[

How to create an OSM extract of your city. over 3 years ago

Chriscf,
That's the map that I'm looking to make ! Unfortunately, I haven't figured out yet the correct rules to use for the Overpass API. :/

Through my searching, I found a couple suggestions in http://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/8273/how-do-i-extract-the-polygon-of-an-administrative-boundary

and I'll be testing those out in the next day or so to see if they will work.