skorasaurus has commented on the following diary entries

State Parks and National Parks 21 days ago

The Cleveland OSM community has thought a bit about this because there's an Cleveland and the region has a large parks system, The Cleveland Metroparks. In addition to operating the zoo, they maintain 'reservations' that are used for an extremely wide variety of activities: some are areas that are mostly forest, have a few nature trails which are unpaved and activities besides walking through them are prohibited. Others allow people to have picnics with charcoal BBQs next to several baseball diamonds; others have golf courses; Some of these have all of these features in the same 'reservation'!

We tentatively agreed to use leisure=nature_reserve although I am not sure if it's the most appropriate tag to use.

Importing 1 million New York City buildings and addresses 30 days ago

Thanks for the great recap alex: it's informative but also well presented :)

10th Anniversary Name Fix Challenge about 1 month ago

There's a few questions that we have in cleveland for this challenge: a several of the ways we've seen are "Highway 17 (Trans-Canada)'," for example. fo's the tagging for this? is there a relation for the trans-canada?

• should county route 44 be tagged as ref=CR 44 ?
Visualizing Notes added to OpenStreetMap through Craigslist 3 months ago

Nice work. Is there a way to display only notes that are still open? Have you thought about implementing this?

Project: Puerto Rico TIGER Roads Fixup 7 months ago

Good work. A while back, I noticed that PR's roads were really bad (not aligned with imagery) from the TIGER import but was occupied with other tasks.

I look forward to see how it looks in the future!

Editing on steroids? 9 months ago

I too have tried both of the water tracing plugins (scanaerial and its older iteration, lakewalker) and neither had worked well enough to use on my typical workflow. the nodes would be often clumped together in excess or just plainly wrong.

One thing that haven't been mentioned yet is something whose name escapes me, but you can add and move additional nodes to an existing way very quickly and easily. I've been editing for just under 3 years now, and this trick/ability, added to JOSM in sometime in 2012, has been the most valuable addition to JOSM in the past 3 years! In fact, the printing on my CNTRL button is worn away from using this!

To activate it, select a way and then press W. With your mouse, you can move the node you've selected on the way and if you would like to add an additional node, hold down the CNTRL button.

If you're editing any relations, the reltoolbox plugin is essential.

Huge +1 on the buildings plugin. That is a very useful tool and makes things much more efficient.

I'd also checkout the JOSM tips and tricks page. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM/Advanced_Tricks

Ensuring proper bike routing in the Chicago Bike Guide 9 months ago

Awesome work both with the mapping and with the bicycle advocacy work being done in CHI.

Unfortunately, all of the bicycle lanes without barriers in Cleveland are not buffered and are simply like the one in this picture

I was wondering what does track signify in your use? After reading about the neighborhood greenways on the activetrans site, I would interpret that they could be tagged highway=living_street.

Humanitarian style layer 12 months ago

Linhares,

Thank you very much for the compliments!

If you find any bugs or have any suggestions, feel free to share them with us at: https://github.com/hotosm/HDM-CartoCSS/

• will
Working on northern Haiti -- USAID project over 1 year ago

Took me a second to connect you and your OSM user name.

Great to have you here in Cap-Haiten :)

How to Map an Atoll over 1 year ago

This is an awesome diary entry: Great detail, illustrations, and context describing your experience. Thanks for writing. One of the best that I've read in some time.

Mapping an atoll doesn't happen very often. How did you have the opportunity to map there ?

My 10 most useful OSM links over 1 year ago

Great links:

Wow - I've been looking for a way to track user edits in my local area (since OWL is being redeveloped) and compliments the new OWL by ppawl very nicely.

osmose - http://osmose.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/ a few days ago, has some nice tools on it and some error-detection (weird, map on there isn't loading at the moment).

http://overpass-turbo.eu/ - make OSM queries within your browser (find all of the parking places in your area and receive them as geoJSON ) for example. Quite powerful with its scripting capabilities.

wow, i really need to go through my OSM bookmarks some more..

Campus Map-off? over 1 year ago

Yes please !

How to create an OSM extract of your city. over 1 year ago

For anyone reading, I figured this out several months ago:

1. Obtain the id for the relation of the boundary. (You can do this in josm by clicking on the boundary and then press cntrl + shift + i).

Now the way that you brought up IS NOT the boundary for the city, it's only a part of it. Go down to the bottom of the new webpage and find "Part of: Relation: Name (THISID####)"

1. Obtain the .poly for this file. There's multiple ways to do this, I find overpass, although powerful, it was slammed/overcrowded.

Open this great tool by jocelyn. http://osm102.openstreetmap.fr/~jocelyn/polygons/index.py

new window will appear, copy its contents and choose its file name, name.poly

1. Use osmosis to filter out the administrative boundaries.

osmosis --read-pbf file=ohio.osm.pbf --bounding-polygon file=summitcounty.poly --tf accept-ways boundary=administrative --used-node --write-xml summit.osm

Over 32 bits over 1 year ago

And vespucci (OSM editor on android) broke too =D

OSM St Louis MidAmerica Mappers Meeting over 1 year ago

Rick,

Nice start, Glad the slides were helpful ! I also agree with the utility of the outdoor exercises, we're hoping to do an outdoor mapping activity in Cleveland either in March or May.

-will.

changing mapping interests almost 2 years ago

robbie, that's so true !

With only the TIGER import done in my area, there's been so much to do !

When I first started, a large majority of ways in my city were untouched from the TIGER import. So, I began verifying every road in my city, reclassifying it if necessary (nearly all roads were imported as residential which isn't always the most appropriate), adding one way if applicable, and realigning. Almost 2 years later, I still haven't visited every highway in my city and haven't done much with that lately but I'm likely about 70% done.

After that, I've focused more on mapping tracing ways with bing in senegal where I lived for 6 months, and it had very little mapped when I began. Since then, whole cities have been mapped, where 12 months, maybe just one road existed.

Now, it's a combination of adding roads and other features in senegal, doing TIGER fixup (adding bridges, removing ways that don't exist, realignment) in other parts of my home state, Ohio; and adding new businesses, . Right now, beginning to tackle more advanced things like importing boundaries of the national park near me.

Cleaning Up GPS Traces for OpenStreetMap and Visualizations almost 2 years ago

After a bit of experimenting, I found the best workflow was to use the test3 filter (mentioned above) and manually removing the points in gpsprune (from the scribble effect) is the easiest way to clean up your GPS points.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be an existing automated way of removing the scribble effect.

Beyond First Edits! almost 2 years ago

Hey dan,

Thanks for the compliment, it is far from done =)

I didn't get a notice on your comment until you sent me the mail. I realized that a user isn't notified when someone else comments on a diary entry after you do, so I made a ticket for it.

Regardless if Paul uploads GPS traces as 'public' 'identifiable', etc, they are available for anyone to use and will be visible with.

This wiki page gives a good description on the difference between public, private, identifiable GPS traces

Once you upload them, anyone else can view them and then create a road by tracing over your GPS trace.

Some people stick to areas that they've visited themselves but it is encouraged and okay to edit an area that you've never been to and relying on the aerial imagery and others gps traces (this is known as armchair mapping). Others, they map everywhere.

Beyond First Edits! almost 2 years ago

hey,

Awesome to see such enthusiasm to OSM ! Just to briefly answer some of your questions:

If I upload GPS traces as "public", will people besides me edit them, or is it usually just the uploader doing it?
  • your gps traces are available to all other users to see but they cannot edit the timestamps or any tags that you applied to them when you upload them

I also osmtracker on my android, and like other gps devices, you're GPS signal is not perfect, you'll notice there's a little 'accuracy 5m' on the top of the main screen of osmtracker, which means that there's up to an error up to 5m of your current location. Even if your signal isn't perfect (I usually get no better than 2-3m; usually it's 5-10m), for example 10m, it's still accepted to upload that trace.

“survey:2012-10-25 with Bing correction” in the source tag is quite acceptable. If you don't remember the exactly survey date, for example, I've seen other users just put survey or what I just personally do, is put a brief note of what I edited and its source, like "[personal visit, bing]" in the comment before I Upload my changes to the server (called a changeset) http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Changeset I haven't used potlatch much so I don't know if making a changeset comment is any different.

Just mapped The Legacy Village almost 2 years ago

hey, thanks for mapping it, very nice job. extremely detailed. cool that you had fun. that's not too far from me - probably about 30km.

I only have visited once or twice in the past couple years (it's where many very well-to-do in the cleveland area go to shop) and that's there so much other mapping to do in Cleveland and other osm-related projects that I (and the handful of other users) haven't had time to map it yet.

There's also also another shopping complex, beachwood place just diagonal from there too. :P