skorasaurus has commented on the following diary entries

Missing Maps - Sierra Leone 21 days ago

Great job Nick and thanks for sharing and helping build the OSM community there.

From experience, working in the field with HOT can be draining and have many obstacles that most people are unaccustomed to (limited cell phone signal, intermittent electricity, poor roads) that can make tasks much more time-consuming and difficult than you originally anticipated. Kudos to you and the team for persevering!

Adding sport= tags to leisure=pitch. 3 months ago

Nice write-up.

What do you mean by touch football? American football? I'm not sure how you could distinguish a pitch to be American football instead of touch football. In the USA, it's still somewhat common to have American football pitches near elementary and high schools.

There's also many pitches that are used for multiple purposes (in some cases you can see the overlap of the field markers); where I tag it as leisure=pitch and sport=multi

How do you map while on the go? 12 months ago

Also, thanks for the suggestion on opencamera; I hadn't heard of it until now!

How do you map while on the go? 12 months ago

Depends on: my mode of transportation [walking? biking? a passenger in a car? having a friend or one of my volunteers with me in my car as drive?], what I'm trying to map, where I'm going, and if I'll be there again.

Usually, it's osmtracker + the voice recording feature; I practically never use the poi icons on osmtracker. before mapillary, i'd use its photo feature as well if I was doing photo.

mapillary: use it some sometimes while walking or bicycling and want to capture a lot of details, like in a dense urban environment; I also occasionally drive for my job and have a co-worker/volunteer hold the phone for me; I haven't found an useful phone mount yet for my s5.

I very rarely edit OSM directly while surveying, with a mobile phone because: it's too time consuming; I'd rather edit when I go home, my phone [s5, droid] is too small [can't see the screen well], sucks up a bit of data [I can just capture the info and then edit at home]; As crazy as it may sound to an outsider, I like the interface for JOSM more than vespucci.

I never used any apple apps, so can't comment on that.

Addresses in Oklahoma about 1 year ago

That's a bummer.

ODI (Open Data Institute) and Open Addresses would be really interested to learn more about the situation including the specific legalese, etc.

Have you contacted them?

Hamlets in US cities over 1 year ago

sk53, I don't know the answer to that. I haven't found any established, consistent practice for trailer/mobile home parks, apartment building complexes, public housing projects, or named communities (usually in wealthy American suburbs outside the city) or any use of it for me yet, so I haven't mapped them yet.

I think neighborhood and suburb wouldn't be appropriate for them because these housing types mentioned above usually very defined boundaries unlike neighborhoods and suburbs.

Alex, I've found that hamlets imported in urban areas to be the first 4 types that you've described as well as another type for me, a historical name that represented an old neighborhood or city name that's no longer used in any context, so I've deleted the node.

HOT 2014 Contribution Review: What's Been Done and What's Next over 1 year ago

Congratulations on your scholarship!

HOT 2014 Review over 1 year ago

Nice recap Russell; it was great to meet you at SOTM-US in April!

Also, thanks for following through with the quorum - 3rd time ended up being the charm :)

Looking forward to another HOT year in 2015.

Visualizing improvement in improving Carroll County in OpenStreetMap over 1 year ago

Jedrezj Pelka,

The link has been corrected.

rps333,

thanks. I have been devoting most of my mapping time lately with this and I look forward to getting back with HOT. :)

New MapRoulette challenge: TIGER Mismatched Ways almost 2 years ago

wow, that was completed quickly! Looking forward to seeing the next batch!

State Parks and National Parks almost 2 years ago

The Cleveland OSM community has thought a bit about this because there's an Cleveland and the region has a large parks system, The Cleveland Metroparks. In addition to operating the zoo, they maintain 'reservations' that are used for an extremely wide variety of activities: some are areas that are mostly forest, have a few nature trails which are unpaved and activities besides walking through them are prohibited. Others allow people to have picnics with charcoal BBQs next to several baseball diamonds; others have golf courses; Some of these have all of these features in the same 'reservation'!

We tentatively agreed to use leisure=nature_reserve although I am not sure if it's the most appropriate tag to use.

Importing 1 million New York City buildings and addresses almost 2 years ago

Thanks for the great recap alex: it's informative but also well presented :)

10th Anniversary Name Fix Challenge almost 2 years ago

There's a few questions that we have in cleveland for this challenge: a several of the ways we've seen are "Highway 17 (Trans-Canada)'," for example. fo's the tagging for this? is there a relation for the trans-canada?

• should county route 44 be tagged as ref=CR 44 ?
Visualizing Notes added to OpenStreetMap through Craigslist about 2 years ago

Nice work. Is there a way to display only notes that are still open? Have you thought about implementing this?

Project: Puerto Rico TIGER Fixup over 2 years ago

Good work. A while back, I noticed that PR's roads were really bad (not aligned with imagery) from the TIGER import but was occupied with other tasks.

I look forward to see how it looks in the future!

Editing on steroids? over 2 years ago

I too have tried both of the water tracing plugins (scanaerial and its older iteration, lakewalker) and neither had worked well enough to use on my typical workflow. the nodes would be often clumped together in excess or just plainly wrong.

One thing that haven't been mentioned yet is something whose name escapes me, but you can add and move additional nodes to an existing way very quickly and easily. I've been editing for just under 3 years now, and this trick/ability, added to JOSM in sometime in 2012, has been the most valuable addition to JOSM in the past 3 years! In fact, the printing on my CNTRL button is worn away from using this!

To activate it, select a way and then press W. With your mouse, you can move the node you've selected on the way and if you would like to add an additional node, hold down the CNTRL button.

If you're editing any relations, the reltoolbox plugin is essential.

Huge +1 on the buildings plugin. That is a very useful tool and makes things much more efficient.

I'd also checkout the JOSM tips and tricks page. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM/Advanced_Tricks

Ensuring proper bike routing in the Chicago Bike Guide over 2 years ago

Awesome work both with the mapping and with the bicycle advocacy work being done in CHI.

Unfortunately, all of the bicycle lanes without barriers in Cleveland are not buffered and are simply like the one in this picture

I was wondering what does track signify in your use? After reading about the neighborhood greenways on the activetrans site, I would interpret that they could be tagged highway=living_street.

Humanitarian style layer almost 3 years ago

Linhares,

Thank you very much for the compliments!

If you find any bugs or have any suggestions, feel free to share them with us at: https://github.com/hotosm/HDM-CartoCSS/

• will
Working on northern Haiti -- USAID project about 3 years ago

Took me a second to connect you and your OSM user name.

Great to have you here in Cap-Haiten :)