skorasaurus has commented on the following diary entries

HOT 2014 Review 17 days ago

Nice recap Russell; it was great to meet you at SOTM-US in April!

Also, thanks for following through with the quorum - 3rd time ended up being the charm :)

Looking forward to another HOT year in 2015.

Visualizing improvement in improving Carroll County in OpenStreetMap 19 days ago

Jedrezj Pelka,

The link has been corrected.

Visualizing improvement in improving Carroll County in OpenStreetMap 20 days ago

rps333,

thanks. I have been devoting most of my mapping time lately with this and I look forward to getting back with HOT. :)

New MapRoulette challenge: TIGER Mismatched Ways 2 months ago

wow, that was completed quickly! Looking forward to seeing the next batch!

State Parks and National Parks 4 months ago

The Cleveland OSM community has thought a bit about this because there's an Cleveland and the region has a large parks system, The Cleveland Metroparks. In addition to operating the zoo, they maintain 'reservations' that are used for an extremely wide variety of activities: some are areas that are mostly forest, have a few nature trails which are unpaved and activities besides walking through them are prohibited. Others allow people to have picnics with charcoal BBQs next to several baseball diamonds; others have golf courses; Some of these have all of these features in the same 'reservation'!

We tentatively agreed to use leisure=nature_reserve although I am not sure if it's the most appropriate tag to use.

Importing 1 million New York City buildings and addresses 4 months ago

Thanks for the great recap alex: it's informative but also well presented :)

10th Anniversary Name Fix Challenge 4 months ago

There's a few questions that we have in cleveland for this challenge: a several of the ways we've seen are "Highway 17 (Trans-Canada)'," for example. fo's the tagging for this? is there a relation for the trans-canada?

• should county route 44 be tagged as ref=CR 44 ?
Visualizing Notes added to OpenStreetMap through Craigslist 6 months ago

Nice work. Is there a way to display only notes that are still open? Have you thought about implementing this?

Project: Puerto Rico TIGER Fixup 10 months ago

Good work. A while back, I noticed that PR's roads were really bad (not aligned with imagery) from the TIGER import but was occupied with other tasks.

I look forward to see how it looks in the future!

Editing on steroids? 12 months ago

I too have tried both of the water tracing plugins (scanaerial and its older iteration, lakewalker) and neither had worked well enough to use on my typical workflow. the nodes would be often clumped together in excess or just plainly wrong.

One thing that haven't been mentioned yet is something whose name escapes me, but you can add and move additional nodes to an existing way very quickly and easily. I've been editing for just under 3 years now, and this trick/ability, added to JOSM in sometime in 2012, has been the most valuable addition to JOSM in the past 3 years! In fact, the printing on my CNTRL button is worn away from using this!

To activate it, select a way and then press W. With your mouse, you can move the node you've selected on the way and if you would like to add an additional node, hold down the CNTRL button.

If you're editing any relations, the reltoolbox plugin is essential.

Huge +1 on the buildings plugin. That is a very useful tool and makes things much more efficient.

I'd also checkout the JOSM tips and tricks page. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM/Advanced_Tricks

Ensuring proper bike routing in the Chicago Bike Guide 12 months ago

Awesome work both with the mapping and with the bicycle advocacy work being done in CHI.

Unfortunately, all of the bicycle lanes without barriers in Cleveland are not buffered and are simply like the one in this picture

I was wondering what does track signify in your use? After reading about the neighborhood greenways on the activetrans site, I would interpret that they could be tagged highway=living_street.

Humanitarian style layer about 1 year ago

Linhares,

Thank you very much for the compliments!

If you find any bugs or have any suggestions, feel free to share them with us at: https://github.com/hotosm/HDM-CartoCSS/

• will
Working on northern Haiti -- USAID project over 1 year ago

Took me a second to connect you and your OSM user name.

Great to have you here in Cap-Haiten :)

How to Map an Atoll over 1 year ago

This is an awesome diary entry: Great detail, illustrations, and context describing your experience. Thanks for writing. One of the best that I've read in some time.

Mapping an atoll doesn't happen very often. How did you have the opportunity to map there ?

My 10 most useful OSM links almost 2 years ago

Great links:

Wow - I've been looking for a way to track user edits in my local area (since OWL is being redeveloped) and compliments the new OWL by ppawl very nicely.

osmose - http://osmose.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/ a few days ago, has some nice tools on it and some error-detection (weird, map on there isn't loading at the moment).

http://overpass-turbo.eu/ - make OSM queries within your browser (find all of the parking places in your area and receive them as geoJSON ) for example. Quite powerful with its scripting capabilities.

wow, i really need to go through my OSM bookmarks some more..

Campus Map-off? almost 2 years ago

Yes please !

How to create an OSM extract of your city. almost 2 years ago

For anyone reading, I figured this out several months ago:

1. Obtain the id for the relation of the boundary. (You can do this in josm by clicking on the boundary and then press cntrl + shift + i).

Now the way that you brought up IS NOT the boundary for the city, it's only a part of it. Go down to the bottom of the new webpage and find "Part of: Relation: Name (THISID####)"

1. Obtain the .poly for this file. There's multiple ways to do this, I find overpass, although powerful, it was slammed/overcrowded.

Open this great tool by jocelyn. http://osm102.openstreetmap.fr/~jocelyn/polygons/index.py

new window will appear, copy its contents and choose its file name, name.poly

1. Use osmosis to filter out the administrative boundaries.

osmosis --read-pbf file=ohio.osm.pbf --bounding-polygon file=summitcounty.poly --tf accept-ways boundary=administrative --used-node --write-xml summit.osm

Over 32 bits almost 2 years ago

And vespucci (OSM editor on android) broke too =D

OSM St Louis MidAmerica Mappers Meeting almost 2 years ago

Rick,

Nice start, Glad the slides were helpful ! I also agree with the utility of the outdoor exercises, we're hoping to do an outdoor mapping activity in Cleveland either in March or May.

-will.

changing mapping interests about 2 years ago

robbie, that's so true !

With only the TIGER import done in my area, there's been so much to do !

When I first started, a large majority of ways in my city were untouched from the TIGER import. So, I began verifying every road in my city, reclassifying it if necessary (nearly all roads were imported as residential which isn't always the most appropriate), adding one way if applicable, and realigning. Almost 2 years later, I still haven't visited every highway in my city and haven't done much with that lately but I'm likely about 70% done.

After that, I've focused more on mapping tracing ways with bing in senegal where I lived for 6 months, and it had very little mapped when I began. Since then, whole cities have been mapped, where 12 months, maybe just one road existed.

Now, it's a combination of adding roads and other features in senegal, doing TIGER fixup (adding bridges, removing ways that don't exist, realignment) in other parts of my home state, Ohio; and adding new businesses, . Right now, beginning to tackle more advanced things like importing boundaries of the national park near me.