seav has commented on the following diary entries

The trouble with the ODbL - summarized 29 days ago

For a supposed legal analysis, I was disappointed that the Centre of Spatial Law claims that there is no guidance on the licensing of the individual contents of the OSM database. I think they missed this part of the Contributor Terms (emphasis mine):

"OSMF agrees that it may only use or sub-license Your Contents as part of a database and only under the terms of one or more of the following licences: ODbL 1.0 for the database and DbCL 1.0 for the individual contents of the database"

While it may be confusing to have 2 different licenses for the database and the contents, I think this is warranted by the fact that there are 2 different legal concepts at play in Europe: database rights and copyrights.

OpenStreetMap birthday weekend (including wikimania etc) 3 months ago

Hey, Harry! I was really great to finally meet you in person. I really enjoyed my time in London and I hope I can visit again in the future. I didn't realize there was cake! I guess these were all already in people's stomachs by the time we arrived from Wikimania? :P

How do I indoor map my building? 3 months ago

OpenStreetMap Isn't All That Open, Let's Change That and Drop Share-Alike 9 months ago

For a nice discussion of GPL vs. BSD: http://www.matusiak.eu/numerodix/blog/2007/12/15/gpl-vs-bsd-a-matter-of-sustainability/

As giggls said above, this is the GPL vs. BSD/public domain debate all over again. GPL vs. BSD is hardly resolved in the software world and you can point to success stories for both camps (Linux kernel for GPL, and BSD Unix for BSD, sqlite for public domain) and numerous pros and cons on both sides. The same arguments can be mentioned for OSM as well.

Hello, OSM! 9 months ago

Great work in Luisiana! :-)

OSM mapping at regional or national scales: aiming at creating consolidated reference layers / La cartographie OSM à échelles régionales et nationales : l'objectif de créer des couches de référence consolidées 9 months ago

Sounds like what I tried to do here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Philippines/Geodata_detail_levels

My first OSM meeting 11 months ago

Do you know about the talk-au mailing list? https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au

Bagong Simula over 1 year ago

Hi Lester,

Kumusta?

Kagaya ng Google Map Maker, mayroon ring talaang pang-email ang pamayanang OSM sa Pilipinas. Kung interesado ka, makilahok ka dito: http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ph

May mga ilang bagay lang akong inayos sa mga binago mo sa Biñan at Carmona. Kung may mga tanong ka, puwede kang magtanong sa akin sa pamamagitan ng pagdala ng mensahe sa aking pahina. :-)

A new way of fast browsing of latest changes over 1 year ago

I think another vital tool is a way to easily analyze a single changeset. You should be able to see what objects were modified, created, and deleted. What the tags are on those objects and what modifications were done on those tags. How the shapes of objects changed. If ways were reversed, split, or joined.

The OSM History Viewer goes halfway there but I think it could be much much more.

Advanced rendering of tags over 1 year ago

Regarding my comment about the "projection scaling bug", I confirmed that this is indeed a bug due to the mercator projection not having a uniform scale throughout the map. Despite that, the courts are rendered in a uniform scale per zoom level. The courts look great in France but would have the wrong size in other latitudes.

I'm guessing that these courts are rendered as if they were SVG icons, but rotated to match the general orientation of the pitches. If we really want scale-correct courts, I think that would require some complicated processing in the PostGIS DB. But as a proof-of-concept, this initial rendering of courts is actually great.

Note: I'm not complaining, just pointing out (probably already known) oddities.

As for the meaning of "leisure=pitch", I was actually hoping to spark a discussion. But maybe it's best discussed on the tagging@ mailing list. :-)

Advanced rendering of tags over 1 year ago

It seems there's a projection scaling bug for the tennis courts. Here's a tennis pitch area, but the tennis court image is too big! http://tile.openstreetmap.fr/?lon=120.92389&lat=14.46284&zoom=19&layers=B00000

The tennis pitch there actually contains 2 tennis courts. Do we need to split up the leisure=pitch polygon into 2? I don't think we should, since it's just 1 pitch area.

Map of turn restrictions almost 2 years ago

This is very useful! Thanks for creating this map. :-)

Renaming the Ottawa River Parkway almost 2 years ago

You should add the tag old_name=Ottawa River Parkway to store the previous name.

Funeral Homes about 2 years ago

Well, a footway is not a highway but we have highway=footway.

I've learned that OSM life would be easier if we treat keys and values as just English-like words instead of actual English words. It would help prevent debate on whether something is supposed to be under "shop" or "amenity" or "leisure" or "tourism".

Bishopsgate mapping party over 2 years ago

Heh. The person doing much of the criticizing on the wikipedia mailing list thread you linked to is the same guy who's criticizing OSMF and the license change.

OpenMapSurfer and the city of Split over 2 years ago

Latlon.org renders 3D buildings too:

Trieste on both maps:

http://openmapsurfer.uni-hd.de/?zoom=17&lat=45.65222&lon=13.77349&layers=B0000FFF http://latlon.org/buildings?zoom=17&lat=45.65222&lon=13.77349&layers=BT

Why? over 2 years ago

"I don't get anywhere close to the same level of satisfaction from making updates on google map maker."

Amen.

First post! over 2 years ago

Good to hear that you got hooked on OSM. Happy Mapping! :)

First Post :-) over 2 years ago

Yay! I never would've thought that my suggestion of "Ramoth" as a dragon's name would be picked up quite quickly. :)