OpenStreetMap

dcp has commented on the following diary entries

Post When Comment
Straßenlistenauswertung over 1 year ago

I agree with your sentiments that the list should be maintained. I have completed D-53359 Rheinbach and it is now 100% correct (I hope). I am not prepared to go to other PLZs and do their work, so the list is no longer of any importance to me and as it is not be maintained I won't look at it again. I think other contributors would agree with my conclusion.

But, as I said, I do agree with your sentiment and pity that it not being maintained.

Straßenlistenauswertung over 1 year ago

D-53359 Rheinbach, Stettinerstraße ist geändert worden: Ich war heute vor Ort. Es ist jetzt die Franz-Wendler-Staße und ist seit 7.Aug.2012 in OSM erfasst. Auch die Stadt-Karten für Touristen sind geändert worden.

Die Franz-Wendler-Straße ist mit old_name=Stettinerstraße seit 10.Aug.2013 getagt.

Straßenlistenauswertung over 1 year ago

D-53359 Rheinbach, Stettinerstraße geändert worden (Ich glaube): Ich werde es vor Ort prüfen.

Straßenlistenauswertung over 1 year ago

In D-53359 Rheinbach habe ich Freisleben-Straße in Freislebenstraße geändert.

Straßenlistenauswertung over 1 year ago

In D-53359 Rheinbach-und Nebenorten gibt es keine Straße "Parkplatz Freizeitzentrum" , auch nicht in Google.

Straßenlistenauswertung over 1 year ago

In D-53359 Rheinbach-und Nebenorten gibt es keine Ladestraße , auch nicht in Google.

Straßenlistenauswertung over 1 year ago

In D-53359 Rheinbach-und Nebenorten gibt es keine Straße "Gut Waldau" , auch nicht in Google. Ein "Gut Waldau": Ein Pferdehof das gleichzeitig als Adresse gilt, d.h. ohne Straßebname. Es ist seit 13.März 2013 korrekt erfasst.

Straßenlistenauswertung over 1 year ago

In D-53359 Rheinbach-und Nebenorten gibt es keine Klosterstrasse, auch nicht in Google. In Rheinbach-Wörmersdorf gibt es ein Kostergasse. Es ist seit 17.Juli 2008 korrekt erfasst.

Mapping in Thailand almost 2 years ago

Multipolygons don't seem to be understood by many contributors: For example: Take a look at:

http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=multipolygon&lon=-117.23495&lat=36.70966&zoom=6&opacity=0.87&overlays=invalid_geometry_hull,duplicate_ways,intersections,intersection_lines,ring_not_closed_hull,ring_not_closed,unconnected_end_nodes,touching_inner_rings_hull,touching_inner_rings,role_mismatch_hull,role_mismatch,duplicate_tags_hull,duplicate_tags,multipolygons_type_is_boundary,type_is_boundary,ways,role_markers,way_end_nodes,way_nodes

and this is CA, where many intelligent people live and it is not confined to USA. It is endemic to the whole OSM-World.

You can have multipolygons within multipolygons but you should try to avoid them if possible (newbies won't be able to understand them), and it usually possible do so.

I, too, once mapped a reservoir: Link to Blog:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/dcp/diary/13817

It , too, was done almost perfectly but over time the newbies moved in and ruined it (my opinion), but I a thankful that it still is visible in OSM although not correct to OSM standards.

I assume that you have read the OSM documentation on multipolygons so you should be aware of what you are doing. Should you have need for advice/assistance then do ask for it: The OSM community is very responsive.

Mapping in Thailand almost 2 years ago

I forgot to mention that it is advisable to keep the nodes per sector lower than the 2000 allowed. Reasoning: Even if your work is perfect, some one will come along and add/make changes to it. Keeping the number of nodes well below 2000 will reduce the chance that a sector has to be divided!

Mapping in Thailand almost 2 years ago

About that reservoir: The outer perimeter should be split into sections of less than 1900 nodes and be part of a relation and defined as "outer". The islands should be mapped as islets and include other attributes such as "scrub" and be defined as "inner" within that same relation-number! Quite easy really.

Next comment from me is that OSM is much more than a road map. Obviously in many parts of the world the priority must be on motorways, highways, roads, tracks and paths in that order. For example, it is also about POIs and their attributes with make daily life easier.

But, just for fun, take a look at:

http://map.f4-group.com/#lon=11.4188180&lat=53.6245511&zoom=19&camera.theta=59.946&camera.phi=0.938

for what is possible!

notes almost 2 years ago

To amm and ToeBee.

Thank you both for being so responsive!

I looked at the solutions suggested (using API) and downloaded the area in question. Using http://www.jsoneditoronline.org/ I could browse the pertinent data but I could see how I could this in a useful way. Obviously it is my lack of the required skills that is hampering my efforts.

Do you think that is worth the effort to post a JOSM ticket?

"Maproulette" in JOSM almost 2 years ago

Ich wette nicht: Es könnte noch mehr dazu kommen!

  1. Ich hätte gern gewüsst wie die Routing Software mit "beinahe Verbindung" fertig wird. Richtig programmiert könnte die Routing Software beinahe Verbindung ignorieren und eine Verbindung bis zur n-meter als gegeben annehmen.

  2. Da wir alle Fehler machen sollte man Analysieren warum solche Fehler entstehen. Sind es nur Newbies? Liegt es an eine bestimmte Editor, Potlach, iD oder JOSM? IMHO es liegt an Newbies und Potlach/iD. Als JOSM liebhaber bin ich Voreingenommen; das weiss ich auch. Es gibt viele Oldies die noch Potlach/iD verwenden die viele Fehler noch machen. JOSM nützer, stelle ich fest, machen weniger Fehler.

  3. Auch "Duplicate Ways" sind für "Routing" schlecht. Gerade seit die Einführung von iD werden bedeutend mehr "Duplicate ways" ersichtlich: Ist das Zufall?

Learning about paths almost 2 years ago

Your not the only one. In my humble opinion paths are narrow tracks, fit only for walking, going through the countryside. Footways and cycleways are for towns. We do have highway=pedestrian which can be a way or an area=yes. To any of these you can you can add attributes such as: bicycle=yes/no foot=yes/no horse=yes/no hgv=yes/ no etc. etc. many other restrictions can apply.

Having said that, Map Features recommends highway=path, bicycle yes, foot yes segregated=yes/no even in towns.

If you look around the OSM-world you will find many different opinions so it might be advisable to see what the prevailing method(s) are in your area of influence. If you are like me you will want to get on well with your local contributors.

New contributor experience almost 2 years ago

I like your perseverance. You will be a good contributor to OSM. Yes, OSM has a very steep learning curve and only those who read and understand the instructions will be excellent contributors. Even then you will still make mistakes as we all do but most of them come naturally from beginners. Don't worry about them though and ask for help whenever you need it. And be careful when correcting the work of others: You may not initially see the relations, multipolygons, turn restrictions, routes, etc. and change them. Many of my complex work has been eliminated, wrongly changed. I have come to expect it as being normal and it is equally important to keep enthusiastic newbies. You are very, very welcome.

There are a number of error-check applications that I use to check my work (and that of others). Check them out. Examples:

http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=routing&lon=-118.38611&lat=34.00509&zoom=9&opacity=0.89

http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=geometry&lon=-118.38611&lat=34.00509&zoom=9&opacity=0.89

http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=multipolygon&lon=-118.38611&lat=34.00509&zoom=9&opacity=0.89&overlays=invalid_geometry_hull,duplicate_ways,intersections,intersection_lines,ring_not_closed_hull,ring_not_closed,unconnected_end_nodes,touching_inner_rings_hull,touching_inner_rings,role_mismatch_hull,role_mismatch,duplicate_tags_hull,duplicate_tags,multipolygons_type_is_boundary,type_is_boundary,ways,role_markers,way_end_nodes,way_nodes

http://keepright.ipax.at/report_map.php?db=osm_EU&zoom=15&lat=34.4214&lon=-119.70616&layers=B0T&ch=0%2C30%2C40%2C50%2C70%2C90%2C100%2C110%2C120%2C130%2C150%2C160%2C170%2C180%2C191%2C192%2C193%2C194%2C195%2C196%2C197%2C198%2C201%2C202%2C203%2C204%2C205%2C206%2C207%2C208%2C210%2C220%2C231%2C232%2C270%2C281%2C282%2C283%2C284%2C285%2C291%2C292%2C293%2C294%2C311%2C312%2C313%2C320%2C350%2C370%2C380%2C401%2C402%2C411%2C412%2C413%2C20%2C60%2C300%2C360%2C390&show_ign=1&show_tmpign=1

Studying these errors illustrates the errors that we all make. So don't forget: People that contribute a lot make a lot of mistakes. People who contribute less make fewer mistakes. But if you contribute nothing then you make no mistakes. So olease make a lot of mistakes!

OSM & FlighGear Flight Simulator almost 2 years ago

Requirements: No special requirements

OS: Windows XP/Vista/7/8

Step 1: Download Setup File Step 2: Click "Run" or "Save File" in Firefox Step 3: Click "Run" once more Step 4: Easy installation will begin

The instruction says no special requirements but step 2 uses Firefox. I don't use Firefox (I use Chrome). Will it then work with other browsers?

OSM in 3D about 2 years ago

@Tordanik

I was unaware of OSM2World so thank you for this information. Yes it is equally well worth a mention.

multiple buildings at a Gutshof about 2 years ago

@ConsEbt

Bernard has given a big hidden hint: Graduate to JOSM asap for easier editing. The learning curve is much higher but it is worth it and it is more fun. Ask advice from Bernard, I am sure he will assist you if you need it. I would too!

multiple buildings at a Gutshof about 2 years ago

@BCNorwich I can't see the need for a moltipolygon relation. I have sent ConEbt a separate mail with other suggestions. If he takes you up on the help ask him to send you a copy of my humble opinion.

Making OSM data mor compact about 2 years ago

Doesn't anybody read the relation:multipolygon instruction page.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:multipolygon

Here is an extract:

==== Usage

The intended use of multipolygons is this:

Tags describing the multipolygon (e.g., landuse=forest) should go on the relation. The outer way(s) should be left untagged, unless they describe something in their own right. For example, a forest could be delineated by four roads, in which case the four ways would be tagged with the highway tag, but could still be used as "outer" members of the forest relation.

==== End extract

This clearly states that the outer perimeter of a multipolygon can share its nodes (i.e. they are merge) with roads. Therefore, in this case, at least half of the road on which the road runs is defined as landuse=forest.

Surely we should expect the renderers to understand this and act accordingly and this they do very well.

I have no difficulty editing such geometrical contructions. The difficulty lies in correcting the poorly documentated data usually entered by newbies using Potlach.