Richard has commented on the following diary entries

Funny highway shortcuts with the new routing feature 6 months ago

...is exactly why we've added routing to the front page!

Large amounts of OSM data is unsuitable for routing. Putting routing front-and-centre means this will get fixed. Thanks for fixing this one and I hope you find many more such bugs to fix. :)

Fixing the rural US 7 months ago

@Alex - interesting, and good to see Mapbox tackling this.

Have you thought about running an automated comparison with Arnold (as you blogged at http://openstreetmap.us/2014/12/arnold-for-osm/)? I'd expect that any road showing on Arnold is of reasonable quality; if the corresponding geometry in OSM is tagged with highway=residential, tiger:reviewed=no, that suggests a priority for retagging.

One example I found just by zooming into Eric's Arnold rendering: here in WV there's a highway=residential which has moderate traffic flows and should really be a tertiary.

Fixing the rural US 7 months ago

@jumbanho: Yes, I can see the logic in that. Essentially, as long as unpaved roads are tagged as such, that's great. (What's a little more worrying, and something I've encountered several times, is when people retag these gravel roads as highway=unclassified without adding a surface tag.)

Learn-a-tag: driving_side=left/right 7 months ago

I wonder how you'd tag the short section of the River Cam where boats should follow the left bank, as opposed to the right bank (which is standard everywhere else on the UK waterways). 'driving' doesn't seem the correct word for a boat but maybe I should just let that slide...

Fix a Forest - experimental tiles from US Forest Service data 8 months ago

@mojodna: Just posted it on github - does this help? https://github.com/systemed/forest_roads

Voting is bullshit 8 months ago

Agreed 99%.

The 1%: I don't think it's data consumers who are responsible for this mess. It's tidy-minded people trying to second-guess data consumers. If these tidy-minded people had actually used OSM data they wouldn't be coming up with batshit insane proposals.

At cycle.travel, I suspect I do more detailed analysis (for both routing and display) of paths than any other data consumer. The two most notorious wiki-inspired tags, highway=path and smoothness=, haven't made life any easier for me; they've made it a whole lot more difficult. When highway=path is used without a vast array of supporting tags, which is the case the majority of the time, it's impossible to guess sensible defaults. smoothness= is just a plain bad tag in ways which are too numerous to recite.

Or in other words:

XKCD FTW

Rising participation in the discussion of tag definitions 8 months ago

You can read and post to the OSM mailing lists via a forum interface using Nabble or Gmane. Here's the Nabble pages for tagging@: http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/Tagging-f5258744.html

How to improve OSM: kill the bureaucracy 9 months ago

Please no! Imports really aren't desperately needed in the US. What's desperately needed in the US is for more people to clean up the disaster area that was the first import of all, TIGER, rather than piling more and more unmaintained, out-dated data on top.

How to improve OSM: kill the bureaucracy 9 months ago

Being a newbie 9 months ago

Brilliant post. Spot on.

We probably need to make (future) private messages into public messages to prevent this form of bullying, and provide a feed of all changeset comments so that bullies can easily be spotted there.

Roadmap: A State of the Map for all communities worldwide 10 months ago

I'll buy you the free beer next time we're at the same conference!

Fix a Forest - experimental tiles from US Forest Service data 10 months ago

@RobJN: I've considered it but I'm not sure it's appropriate for this task - the amount of corrections to be done to the TIGER data is so vast that, barring a massive upswing in the number of people working on TIGER fixup, that sort of fine-grained approach is unlikely to work. I do wonder whether a P2 vector background layer might be useful, though, in helping to refine geometries.

@kucai: Yes, that's a useful tag and one which the Australians (understandably!) seem to like. It's a little problematic though in that it only addresses the road quality from a car driver's perspective, whereas a surface= tag can be used by cyclists, walkers, horseriders etc.

GORDON'S ALIVE 10 months ago

Essentially it now moves a node, rather than creating a new one, if the nearest point on the existing way happens to be near an existing node. Currently it's "within 15% of the distance to the next node", though I'd like to make that distance-sensitive in due course.

Just getting started mapping my places 10 months ago

The iD repository is at https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD if you'd like to take a look!

Potlatch 2: see two sets of imagery at once 10 months ago

On occasion P2 does serve as a training ground for new JOSM features! (MapCSS, parallelise, etc.)

GORDON'S ALIVE 11 months ago

Undelete's pretty unlikely to make a comeback for a while I'm afraid - the way it's implemented in P1 is a bit under-the-radar, and it really needs to become part of the official API first. But you never know...

First thoughts 11 months ago

Would be great to have you along, and congratulations on your edits so far. Do post updates on what you're doing on the diary - other people can help and offer advice. And you never know, if there are tiresome improvement jobs that can equally be done from the aerial imagery, you might be able to get remote assistance for your task.

cycle.travel now has OSM-powered bike routing for Western Europe 12 months ago

Hi Ocivelo - cycle.travel does already take elevation into account, but I'll take a look at that example and see if the hill penalty could be revised!

Transition500 Alliance: A Radical Approach to Sustainability Consulting 12 months ago
  1. Spam
  2. Industrial-quality bullshit. I mean, "coopetition"?!
Clash Of Clans Online Hack Generator | Get Unlimited Gems Cheat 12 months ago