LivingWithDragons has commented on the following diary entries

Who are the Missing Mappers? 27 days ago

I think the difference of communication method/network is a good thing. The Missing Maps project is reaching a different crowd. Where OpenStreetMap has traditionally worked for pub-loving tech-geeks that love mailing lists or wikis, a whole majority of flower-wearing social-hipsters are now being reached.

Obviously there should be some over lap, especially to aid the teaching/learning, so it would be good if the organisers made an effort to contact the existing local OSM community. My view in London is that it worked better because some of the main Missing Map organisers attended the local pub meetups first (and still do). A few of the OSM-veterans have been attending, but that is not essential and the geeky pub meetup is still preferred event for most of them.

Missing Maps have a mailing list, which I joined (I think via typing on someone's computer at the London November event). However I didn't get any knowledge of the Edinburgh event through that.

Project #OSMselfie: Put a human face on edits 4 months ago

If you want photos of happy mappers, my album based around SotM EU 2014 is a recent start: https://plus.google.com/photos/116770644863987558390/albums/6027870245083438801

Some of them include selfies. I travelled by Bus, Ferry, Coach, Train, Funicular, Foot, Tram, Car, Bicycle, and tried to take a selfie photo on every mode but haven't uploaded all the images as I thought it more fun to make an animated gif (but I haven't done that yet).

OpenStreetBugs Phase out ... update about 1 year ago

Thank you for your help in GB. It would be nice if your change sets were a little smaller, one covered 3 cities and several towns.

When I looked at OSB earlier this month, a lot were marking discrepancies in names with Ordnance Survey Locator data or they were housing developments that need watching. That means they really need on-the-ground checking. Currently it's very wet so my cycling-distance is limited. I manually moved some OSBs to Notes.

SOTM2013 group photo counts 214 people over 1 year ago

That's about 70% of the people registered for the conference.

speed and ease of updates (openstreetmap vs commercial providers) almost 2 years ago

It also depends on if the oompah loompahs like you and/or believe that the road has really changed.

Blue post last time, Crosse Keys tonight almost 2 years ago

You and your OpenStreetMap App Award idea were mentioned in the SotM planning meeting last night. Probably more discussion on it to follow later.

Test about 2 years ago

Welcome to OpenStreetMap!

Blue Posts and lots of upcoming events over 2 years ago

Someone in the photo turned up early for Operation Cowboy!

Circular routing sounds great. I'd also point people to the Research wiki page. At least put a stubb to say you're doing something. Feel free to look for ideas and contact people who have done similar stuff. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Research

The Wenlock Arms meet-up (and next one tonight!) over 2 years ago

Where is your jolly face in the 1st photo Harry? Are you holding in the sobbing. Also, how do you get a phone call in the pub if you don't have your phone?

Free Street Art Trail and Central Bristol Map over 2 years ago

There are a lot of disjoined red lines. Steps?

Waypoint Symbol Aide Memoir over 2 years ago

There is a skill to cycling and taking photos without stopping.

Dear Diary over 2 years ago

Welcome! It looks like you've been making lots of contributions already, and around Frink Park looks like good detail.

tag for irrigation sprinkler over 2 years ago

I've seen these sprinklers where the centre is fixed but it moves round, as I fly over other countries. Very noticeable from the air, as all the fields are round or an arc! But we don't want to get into mapping tractors.

I'm for mapping it with landuse=farmland, irrigated=yes. Maybe irragation_type=sprinkler_arm (or something) if you must.

From mapping each field as a farmland then the shapes will distinct which seems to be what you want.

Stepps. Scotland over 2 years ago

Wow, that's a lot of detail. Now you can map house numbers and rubbish bins. ;)

Why abbreviation expansion bots are better than human busywork: Exhibit One over 2 years ago

That's terrible... the bot didn't change Stanley Ave.

Wierd stuff with the rendering over 2 years ago

It might just be out of date and hasn't triggered to be rerendered. There is a trick you can do to make it rerender, mark the tile as dirty by reading these instructions. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Slippy_Map#Mapnik_tile_rendering

Rendering is the process of turning the vector data into raster image tiles. Image tiles look nicer and are easier to load lots of for lots of people, so much more suitable for the 'view' map.

When changes are made, the area should be rendered again. Sometimes that can take up to 2 hours, or a day in unusual circumstances. If it doesn't get put in the list to rerender, then it will do it if you look at the area at least 7 days later. There is also the possibility that your browser is caching the images.

Not working.... over 2 years ago

What code do you mean?

You may want to investigate/try using JOSM, which is an offline editor http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Josm

Upload changes frequently though to avoid conflicts!

If you have problems uploading with JOSM, save it as a file for uploading later.

In Tokyo for State of the Map 2012 over 2 years ago

Good timing for you to attend pre-conference drinks! http://www.stateofthemap.org/pre-conference-drinks-september-5th/

Status update over 2 years ago

If the pedestrian area is tagged with area=yes, then I'd say it is a routing issue. Although I think it makes the routing a bit harder (there may still be obstacles to avoid or holes/buildings in the area), and so I don't know any pedestrian routing that does this.

Subdivisions and Apartments and Mobile Home Parks, Oh my! over 2 years ago

Cool and welcome to OpenStreetMap. What city is it that you're working on?