BCNorwich has commented on the following diary entries

Footpaths not connected about 2 years ago

Hi, I forgot to say welcome to OSM.

Ahh yes, There is a gap, two nodes not joined at north of your new path.

Can I respectfully point out a few things. I've looked at the area on the Bing image 2011. I would say the vehicular way through the parking area ought to be a service road, type either driveway or parking aisle. Where the way exits the car park it would become a footway rather than a path, as it looks to be constructed as a way for pedestrians. Same as the way going up the slope to the platform. You have mapped/uploaded some single untagged nodes, maybe inadvertently, these ones :- http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/17441026
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/17441139 http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/17441139 They need to be deleted.

JOSM is a about the best editor for OSM mapping but like all of the editors it takes quite a bit of getting used to. If I can help further, even deleting those rouge node please say.

Regards Bernard

Footpaths not connected about 2 years ago

Hi, I take it you refer to the elevated footpath her :- http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/-27.40886/152.95787 If so it is mapped correctly. Your edits can't be instantaneously added to the map, a lot of edits are re-rendered in OSM and appear within minutes. Others edits, ie coastlines sometimes take weeks. Then there is the question of what map you are referring to/looking at, some maps are re-rendered updated weekly, monthly, some not at all. Regards Bernard

Remove left-menu, add the search-box & improvements the OpenStreetMap UI about 2 years ago

Hi, very good I like it except that now on the User Diary page and the Community Blog page the contents are crowded to far to the left of the screen. IMHO this makes it harder to read it would be better if the content were centralised like the help centre page. Regards Bernard

gps about 2 years ago

Sorry this PDF link is in English only http://www.manualowl.com/m/Garmin/Edge-800/Manual/133444 Regards Bernard

multiple buildings at a Gutshof about 2 years ago

Hello ConsEbt,

The tags you have on the area need to be removed and put on the Multipolygon Relation leaving the area untagged. This will give the desired effect, unfortunately I don't use iD editor so can't help there. It's a very simple automatic job in the JOSM editor and I can do it for you if you wish. Have a go, and post/let me know, if you need more help.

Regards Bernard

Natural:Peak + area:yes about 2 years ago

http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/16593811 Hi, I think the change set above is the area referred to.

It is definitely not a "Peak". It doesn't look like a "Mountain Pass", the area for miles around is farmland. Can the elevation be correct for the whole area?

Regards Bernard

Questions about parking mapping about 2 years ago

Hello Chtfn,

IMHO I would say that to map the parking area/areas is the most important thing and the access into those areas, (one needs to know the route to access them). If the disabled/motorcycle areas are separate then map their areas separately with the routes into them. All the parking areas are then tagged with all their appropriate parking conditions including disabled where applicable. If the main car park area contains an area for specific parking types ie disabled/family/motorcycle then that area could be mapped and tagged as the case determines. If the disabled area within the car park cannot be independently mapped but the approximate area is known then a node could be tagged as the disabled parking area. To further enhance the rendering of the map nested areas could be mapped as multipolygons, (areas within areas).

At the moment your disabled and motorcycle parking looks out of place, is it for the school, police station or goal? Also how can it be accessed, one can't tell from the mapping.

Just a few thoughts as you requested, keep up the good work.

Regards Bernard

hiking... using id over 2 years ago

Hi dcp, It's the new OSM editor, "iD" from the main OSM page, the drop down from EDIT now has three options. This is the link :- http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?editor=id

Regards Bernard

Just tried the new iD OSM Editor... over 2 years ago

Ooops, gave the wrong URL above --- try this one.

With that Firefox 20.0.1 on Win 7 64bit crashes when trying to pan the map.

Just tried the new iD OSM Editor... over 2 years ago

Gee Whiz. Yes, open it up and everything grinds to a very slow crawl. It then takes about a minute, wondering if your computer is infected to shut the editor down. Regards Bernard

Lycian Way - Turkey over 2 years ago

Hello and welcome to OpenStreet Map,

You can easily download GPS traces with JOSM map editor.

Googling for "download osm gpx traces"
gives lots more help.

Regards Bernard

Activity 1 over 2 years ago

"Unfortunately I found I need to edit a lot of very small segements"

Hello Govanus,

If you use JOSM you can highlight/select several sections of way then edit them all at the same time. Your edit is inserted into each section.

Regards Bernard

First edit over 2 years ago

Hi, No problem, the three problems are fixed. Not sure exactly where the gate should be though. If wrong it can be fixed later on when you've mastered JOSM. I'll have another look at it in the morning anyway. Any more problems feel free to mail me. Regards Bernard

First edit over 2 years ago

Hi, Yes all problems are still there and I agree not easy to put right with Potlatch2, though fairly simple to fix with the JOSM editor. Would you like to have a go at fixing it as aseerel4c26 suggests above. If you wish I can sort it out (with JOSM) for you but you'll have to say exactly where the gate is supposed to be. At the moment the gate looks closest to the north south path, just south of where your new path joins. Regards Bernard

First edit over 2 years ago

Welcome to OSM, and please don't be disappointed by what I have to say, I think all learning makes for a positive attitude.

I took a look at your newly mapped path and it needs a few adjustments.

To the western end, if the footpath joins the north south path (which I think it does), then your last node needs to be joined to the N S footpath. The gate you mapped close by, if the gate is a barrier to one of the footpaths (ie the path goes through the gateway), then the gate node needs to be joined to the way at the correct position. Same thing applies to the stile in the middle of your path, needs to be joined to the path.

Have a look at the JOSM editor http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM I find it much easier to use than Potlatch.

There are hundreds of folk out here ready and willing to help so please just shout if you get stuck. Regards Bernard

LearnOSM Relaunched over 2 years ago

Very much easier to read and navigate through. Well done.

curious stuff over 2 years ago

Zoom out and north past the lake to see the airfield it took off from. Zoom in to see the pilot spilling his coffee trying to peer up at the Bing aircraft taking photos!

First Steps. over 2 years ago

Hello Morsa, Another welcome. Have you looked at Walking Papers it's the next best thing to a GPS, print out a map section and fill in detail with your pencil, they may well be of assistance to you. http://walkingpapers.org/
Regards Bernard

Help us map Mali for humanitarian relief over 2 years ago

Hi, I spent several hours yesterday going through the map squares designating by mouse click those that contain buildings as then requested. Today I see you want dams marked as well. I'm sorry to say that yesterday I did not mark several squares with dams on them. So your dams count will be out! Regards Bernard PS I'm now going to mark to the finish, only a couple of thousand to go.

day 1 Old lines reboot (M&GN & GE) over 2 years ago

It might be better to tag the sections that are now absolutely non-existent (some are ploughed up and reverted back to farm land), as railway=dismantled.

Regards Bernard