russdeffner's Diary Comments

Diary Comments added by russdeffner

Potential HOT tasking manager improvements to help new and existing contributors collaborate more effectively about 1 year ago

Thank you for this Pete! As one of the people at HOT that has tried to steward the Tasking Manager from version to version, I can say that another thing that is well within our sphere of influence is to have a longer testing and documentation period for major releases and new features. For both version 3 and version 4 it really felt like we had a grossly inadequate amount of time to test and many issues that we could have potentially caught were not anticipated and the versions released only to have to back-track and clean up after the fact. Of course there are always budget and deadline constraints but as our partners in Missing Maps, among others, can recall - we were literally creating their organizations and trying to teach them about the new Organization and Teams structure in version 4 just weeks before the release. Only to still have today many users who don’t know that we have moved away from the role structure to teams. Anyway, mostly all good progress being made, but as you outline, a significant amount of issues to keep working on, especially in regards to that mapper, community, organization collaboration.

Becoming an Intermediate Mapper over 2 years ago

Welcome Uyan, thank you for your contribution. Just a prelude to intermediate mapping, it is up to the project manager to decide the difficulty. However, they can also set a project as intermediate or advanced difficulty, but not make the restriction (i.e. bit of a warning to new mappers vs. too difficult).

Some things that I look at are imagery - if it is offset, poor resolution or a need to compare two (or more) imagery sources - that I consider a bit beyond a new mapper. Very dense buildings - often with very dense buildings and/or poor resolution it is difficult for even experienced mappers to determine where one building ends and another begins. Multiple features - this one often happens even in beginner projects, but is a cue to me to make a project intermediate or advanced as it’s just more difficult if you have to be looking for more than one thing in a task.

This isn’t an exhaustive list of course, there may be other factors the project creator is looking at when determining the difficulty level.

Happy Mapping, we’ll see you soon on the more difficult projects!

=Russ

Russell Deffner

Russell.Deffner@hotosm.org

How we mapped -4% over 2 years ago

Quality Assurance and Control will be a topic discussed thoroughly at the HOT Summit, maybe we can have a Birds of a Feather on this specifically, or just over drinks? What I disagree with is the mindset/methodology of approve/disapprove in general. I understand that at some level that is what we are doing during validation; but I’ve always taken, and taught, the methodology of improve/improve – meaning that whether or not you eventually decide to validate or invalidate a task, you should have taken the time to explain, in enough detail for a new mapper to grasp, what needs/you fixed in the task. And often, it seems easier and more effective to take time to fix things, so the mapper can learn from you, rather than rapidly concluding ‘this needs more work’. Unfortunate truth is it just rubs a lot of people the wrong way to get the ‘your task has been invalidated’ message. However, if/when we do change “invalidated” to something like ‘needs more work’ on the Tasking Manager, then I would be a little more ok with the rapid approve/disapprove approach. Although personally will always give more of my time to helping a mapper than focusing on data quality.

How we mapped -4% over 2 years ago

I respectfully disagree. I believe validating is about making both the mapper, and the map, better.

Mozambique almost 3 years ago

Thank you!

First post over 3 years ago

Hello hesidoryn, I see you haven’t made any edits yet. It’s easy to get started, for some guidance, check out http://learnosm.org

Happy Mapping!

=Russ

duration=P10Y1D almost 4 years ago

Hi Minh, thank you for making me chuckle this morning :) Happy 10th OSM-iversary!

=Russ

Hello World almost 4 years ago

Hi Marcus, welcome to OpenStreetMap! You might next visit: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Bay_Area,_California - join the mailing list and/or meetup and if you’re a wiki editor as well, you might add yourself to the users in the bay area list.

Happy Mapping!

=Russ

2016-2017 Recap almost 4 years ago

Hi Clifford, I’m hoping to make time for a 2018 aspirations post but I did already buy my ticket for State of the Map Milan; so now just fingers crossed I can afford the rest of the trip :) Haven’t added Detroit to the line-up yet, but about 75% likelihood I’ll be going back to Dar Es Salaam for FOSS4G and the HOT Summit in August. I’ll leave it there before this becomes that post ;)

=Russ

OSM and Gender - Invitation to Online Discussion almost 4 years ago

I disagree butrus_butrus and welcome the discussion.

Malaria in Zimbabwe - HOT over 4 years ago

Thank you Luis and team!

Hi almost 5 years ago

Welcome to OSM, I sent you a direct message with some links and info.

Happy Mapping!

=Russ

Mapping Errors in Guatemala and Honduras almost 5 years ago

Hi Sunfishtommy,

I’m the project manager for the HOT Malaria Elimination mapping. We are working on the validation and clean-up of the mapping. We have a lot of student mappers so hopefully their work will improve as we progress. Thanks for the patience and feel free to jump in to help!

=Russ

Russell.Deffner@hotosm.org

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team

PROJECT 2396. about 5 years ago

Thank you mutenyo joan!

@PBJomel - Project 2396 is part of a collection of mapping projects to provide building footprints, as well as basemap, for the Clinton Health Access Initiative’s campaign to eliminate malaria. They will use the data to plan and conduct various malaria interventions.

Stay tuned to the HOT communication channels for more information and new projects.

#Nina2016 Post-disaster Mapping about 5 years ago

Hi, the HOT Activation group has been monitoring the typhoon. However, we not yet received any requests from response or aid organizations, so it’s unlikely we will activate. Although we could help the local mappers by creating projects. Stay tuned and/or feel free to message the HOT mailing list

Arme OSMF over 5 years ago

@SimonPoole - I don’t want to take up this thread to debate the ‘coordination’ of the OSM Community. I think anyone who follows closely knows that these projects directly impact the number and ability of local mappers. HOT is no longer in Mongolia, but since that project the local community has flourished (for a relatively tiny semi-nomadic population per area). That’s the only one I have enough hands-on knowledge to discuss, but all our welcome to join/ask/decide for themselves https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot

Arme OSMF over 5 years ago

Forgive this being in English; just wanted to point that as a 501c3 Non-profit, HOT is required to publish our tax info: https://hotosm.org/finances - you can see most monies go directly to OSM community building projects: https://hotosm.org/projects/community followed by Technical development work: https://hotosm.org/projects/technical

Frisbeegolf rata over 5 years ago

Here is a wiki-page for the sport, don’t think any tags have been officially proposed yet: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Disc_golf

Notes from OSM-Colorado Saturday Mapternoon May 28, 2016 over 5 years ago

@BushmanK - None of us are personally ‘worried’ about the rendering issue, but more that people would continue to ‘revert’ because of it and we just might not have the time/man-power to keep up on it. I’ve switched a couple and will see what happens, but I’ll keep in mind the nature_reserve idea - but we have stuff like that as well - here’s an example of something that our State (vs. Federal/National) I think would fall under that: Colorado SWAs - but I think would also/better be protect_class=4 - in any case it is my personal opinion that all these ‘protection/conservation/land stewardship’ places all nicely fit in the boundary=protected_area schema, and I tend to point US folks to the country specific table here.

Notes from OSM-Colorado Saturday Mapternoon May 28, 2016 over 5 years ago

@Glassman - Yes, this is super exciting, as it’s more a collaboration than just an import. They plan on updating various data sets on roughly 2 year cycles; so once we’ve got the workflow/conflation/etc. down, then we’ll be looking at potentially some change detection so maybe OSM-ers can help ‘identify’ where new stuff is being built and in turn help DRCOG prioritize; as well as generally getting them directly involved with the community (maybe there’s something OSM-Colorado can help them capture that would otherwise be cost prohibitive). We had Ashley Summers at the meetup, after a couple months of emails and a phone chat, it was just great to talk for a few hours.