TLDR: Most contributions from MAPS.ME editor are constructive and has significantly increased new contributors to the map. With any new tool, there are common mistakes that is made, many of which could be easily prevented by simple improvements to the editor and awareness for the users.
Following recent reports of bad edits, we decided to review a random sample of changesets in detail last week to understand the quality of contributions from this new editor.
- Changesets reviewed: 215
- Problematic changesets: 8
- Minor issues: 19 (Raw notes)
- No obvious issues: 188
Looking at these changesets in detail can give some insights on what improvements could be made to help new mappers contribute constructively to the map:
- User added a castle that do not exist which was later deleted by another user.
- User added a lot "artworks". A community member commented on the changeset but the user did not reply yet.
- User added 211 hardware shops. I have commented on the changeset but did not get a reply.
- User added a duplicate POI. A community member commented but did not get a reply.
- User added 29
tourism=viewpointtags to all kinds of things. I commented on the changeset.
Department stores everywhere looked like this. I commented on this changeset.
tourism=viewpointtags to 23 nodes in one area. I commented on this.
- The problematic changesets seem to indicate that new users may be unaware of best practices of mapping, or do not know their edits are seen by everyone else
- Users do not respond to changeset comments
- Users tend to use an incorrect tag like
attractionif they don't find the appropriate category for their POI
- Changing local names to non local names was observed consistently
- Partial uploads / lack of changeset comments
- Positional errors
- User mistook adding POI for a personal bookmark
For monitoring and reverting changes from MAPS.ME contributors, Ilya Zverev has made a convenient web tool http://mmwatch.osmz.ru/ , and a reverting tool http://revert.osmz.ru/ to track and fix edits by country. In the monitoring tool, one can see the latest edits and tags edited, and also mass revert multiple changesets. The revert tool allows easy revertion of a list of changeset ids.
What are your thoughts on the editor?