OpenStreetMap Carto 2.34.0 has been released and rolled out to the openstreetmap.org servers. It might take up to 48 hours before all tiles show the new rendering.
- better rendering for highway=path/footway/cycleway - this is the next iteration of improving how footways and cycleways are displayed. Unpaved footways are now visible on natural=bare_rock and there are now three classes: paved, unpaved and unknown surface #1788
- man_made=bridge is now rendered #1633, #1791
- new rendering for landuse=quarry #1696
- amenity=veterinary is now rendered #1656
- amenity=community_centre is now rendered #1744
- amenity=prison and landuse=military rendering takes in account area size #1739
- consistent color for boundaries #1773
- tweaked zoom level for amenity=car_sharing #1762 and amenity=car_rental #1761
- Mapnik 3 preperations are now finished. The style now supports Mapnik 3. Most of the work was done on the Mapnik side. #1792
A full list of changes can be found on Github.
It is a good idea to check whatever bridges in your region are tagged for renderer - mistagging bridges as buildings is quite popular (only rare constructions fit definition of building=bridge - building=bridge is brown and man_made=bridge is gray).
For people interested in adding surface tags in their area - here is a helpful overpass query (zoom in before using “Run” button): http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/b88 This query return ways without surface tags and ones tagged with tags not documented as valid surface values. Only ways with highway=footway/path/cycleway are displayed. In nearly fully mapped regions one may modify query to search for missing surface also for other highway types.
As always, we welcome bug reports at https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues where they will be tracked.
Previous release announcement: http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/pnorman/diary/35589