LivingWithDragons has commented on the following diary entries

OSM Needs Gateopeners too 11 days ago

Good post Blake.

HOT is maturing and it's Gate-people will have been around for many years now. So what is/can HOT do to ensure there is a balance of gatekeepers and gateopeners?

I understand gatepeople are both openers and keepers by your explanation. I think you're saying the grumpy gatekeepers appear to be that way (to themselves and to others) because overtime they have had to keep so many similar actions out, and that it takes a mental toll.

Not Yours, OpenStreetMap 11 days ago

Something nice to say?

Negative articles like this are becoming a trend in OpenStreetMap. They are somewhat click-bait and get a lot of attention. Andy made a good comment on your article, and Ilyia gave a really positive response.

Why couldn't your article include some of that positivity and thanks? The OSM Awards you lead is not getting anywhere near as many nominations as there are deserving recipients. It would have been great if the article pointed to seeking out more nominations.

Peru’s response to redaction 20 days ago

Wow this is quite an interesting topic of trouble + amazing response.

It would be great to have it talked about at the State of the Map conference. We've already selected talks, but there will be some slots to sign-up for 5 minute lightning talks at the conference. If anyone involved in this is going to SotM, then perhaps they want to prepare a brief talk about it?

New MapRoulette beta about 2 months ago

500 error while trying to authenticate. "Error: Internal Server Error: ERROR: could not extend file "base/16384/185038": No space left on device Hint: Check free disk space."

Communication channels 4 months ago

I came here via Weekly OSM, a great source for topics that I might have missed on the communication channels that work best for me. Some communication communities copy or reference the Weekly OSM (you can also sign up to get it e-mailed to you).

Linear barriers 5 months ago

Why has the cattle grid been mapped as a way?

The wiki says it should be used on nodes(as it crosses the highway) and not used on ways. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:barrier=cattle%20grid?uselang=en-GB

Width tag could be added to it, or it might be more appropriate to add maxwidth, and routing systems can use this to avoid that route if it's below the allowance (depends on a setting, or the use-case of a specialised router). https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxwidth

OSMF should vote more often...... 5 months ago

So what is the reason for the dip before the 2016 elections?

Improving interaction between OSM and academic communities 8 months ago

I see the wiki Research page as somewhere that OSMers can quickly point an academic towards as the initial greeting. In doing so, I also encourage them to edit it to add their name/study (even if it's in-progress).

Perhaps we need to tidy up that page to make it more welcoming, we could move the long list off to a secondary page.

I've recently been thinking about my review of "The Book of OSM" when I claimed "Highly recommended reading for academics starting OpenStreetMap projects". When you start a university course, there's usually a "required reading list". Maybe the OpenStreetMap community should have it's own list. It might also include actions, such as "create an account and make some local improvements to the map".

the centre of Berlin about 1 year ago

It can be fun to 1. go outside and ask for directions, 2. when you finish following the directions, ask someone nearby for directions, 3. follow those directions, 4. repeat step 2-4

I've done it where the directions I asked for were "to the university center". On one time of doing this, I realised the directions were aiming for the other campus (about 1 hour walk away) so we stopped following them early and found someone new to ask. We repeated this until we ran out of time to do the psycogeography activity (thanks Tim Waters for leading the session).

OnOsm.org now supports internationalization, geolocation in browser about 1 year ago

check how my OSM listing appears on open data sites

That would be great in supporting that OSM is more than just the main map/style/subject.

Having Problems with the Traffic? over 1 year ago

You are gradually getting closer to Mapperley, where I have done a very small amount of detail mapping when visiting. Thank you.

Tell me about your username over 1 year ago

This is a good question and I should add it to my suggested "conversation starters" when I am next on stage welcoming people.

In 2007 I moved to the beautiful city of Durham when OpenStreetMap just showed the river and the the passing motorway. A medieval map would just say “here be dragons” so that’s where I lived, not looking at any map besides the one I was helping to create. Just me and the dragons, while I walked or cycled down every road and path with my GPS.

Field mapping is so much fun! almost 2 years ago

Keypad Mapper 3 is a good app for recording house numbers for OSM.

OSMF board meeting report almost 2 years ago

More a suggestion for the board, but I think it would be good if the guests could be listed or at least it started how many were present.

OSMF board meeting report almost 2 years ago

About meeting productivity, mainly based on my experience on regular SotM WG meetings... it can seem that talking through e-mail and task management can be just as or more productive. However the meetings are invaluable for remembering we are all people and it keeps a personal touch in the relationship between members. There are also thoughts that it can be hard to convey on non-live communication so you get better understanding of members' stances on topics or at least their thought process.

With regards to "...by the organization holding the rights on the OSM data", I understand that statement to be wrong. Everybody/nobody holds the rights to the OSM data, but OSMF is the defacto organisation that aims to protect those rights. This is why the license change was so big, and OSMF had to get all contributors to agree the data could be made available under ODbL.

The lack of recapping, and statement on what next... this I think is good. Meetings should be able to rely on people pre-reading communication or documents so the meeting doesn't drag on. It can be helped if links are dropped into the text chat for those that want to try catching up or to have the writings to hand.

Thank you very much for your write-up and your view of the meetings/discussions.

Gregory/LivingWithDragons

Mapping Thorneywood Mount about 2 years ago

Wow, thank you for adding all the numbers and detail such as local names. If you get further North you'll meet a haphazard dash of numbers that I've added while staying nearby. I've found "Keypad Mapper 3" handy on my Android app.

https://blog.gravitystorm.co.uk/2013/10/23/new-openstreetmap-promotional-leaflets/ and some folk in Nottingham might have a bundle they can pass on to you (or contact Andy who can post them from London). I don't find they save much time once people have already stopped you, but it does give them time after you have gone to actually understand the info and lookup the map.

The high-vis jacket can be useful, although it's reception varies in different areas (think classes again, and people not liking officials wandering around). http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Surveyors_Jacket

Your advice on photos was good. The legalities of photography tend to focus on where you're standing (public space/highway) and what you do with it(not published, used only for note-taking). However people don't get/agree with you all the time, so I guess it's easier to say "look, it's only a geeky photo of a sign".

Should we teach JOSM to first-time mapathon attendees? over 2 years ago

It would be ideal if you linked to (or at least mentioned) where Joost's quote/question comes from, so people can see any discussion happening directly off that.

I'm interested in how the editor options are presented at Missing Maps events and thus how people consider or make a choice on which editor to use.

In leading workshops (including Missing Maps), I usually go through with iD even though I tend to only use it in demonstrations and can't answer a number of questions I might get. I sometimes refer to "other editors" or specifically JOSM. I led a workshop of geography masters students and expected to focus more on JOSM, until I learnt most didn't have GIS experience and some struggled to use a web browser "correctly".

Balancing the presence of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT US Inc) in the OpenStreetMap Foundation (OSMF) in 2015 over 2 years ago

HOT US Inc has a different membership structure in which one has to be nominated by an existing member and then voted in by 2/3rds of the current membership. They currently have about 80 members, and there have been people that did not pass the membership vote.

This set-up is new to me, and I only learnt about it from "The Book of OSM". It makes HOT seem like more of an elite members club, which may or may-not be relevant with the topic regarding the OSMF Board elections.

Welcome Message over 2 years ago

It has been a long time since I signed up. The welcome page looks great in that screenshot of the current process, it's certainly got better than it was years ago.

We shouldn't be against further innovation and fresh views on the process. I hope your work goes far with other people in OSM.

A Review of the Manifests of all OSM US Board Election Candidates over 2 years ago

Map contributions isn't essential but this post does focus on that and so that gives people the ability to take it into account. As a voter, it is your choice how much you take map contributions into account. For one, you could consider it difficult to understand how people map, or how to get more people mapping, if you don't do it yourself.

I don't think being a new comer alone is a reason to discount a candidate. Relative new comers are great as they have fresh energy and recent views about the community and the organisations. If a voter wants the OSM US board to grow the community, then they should look at people who have been new in the current season and journeyed to being really enthusiastic enough to join. However, if the candidate has only made the odd edit, not been to any meetups, and the candidate pledges to do those things when they are elected then I wonder why they are not doing them now instead of running for the board. Maybe they just want to get on the board for their CV/resume. Maybe being on the OSM US board will support their election to some other board.

On the contrast, those that have not made an edit in several months or years. I wonder, have they not been using OpenStreetMap in the daily lives, showing friends, or even in work? Have they really not noticed anything wrong or out of date on OpenStreetMap? Who do they expect to update it, if not themselves?