Heather Leson has commented on the following diary entries

#Successful Visit to Nigerian Red Cross,Rivers State for OSM Knowledge Sharing and Initiation of Local partnership with #UniqueMappersTeam(UMT)Port Harcourt about 1 month ago

Thanks for this post! I work with the IFRC and would very much like to learn more about your work.

Feel free to contact me

Heather Leson heather.leson AT IFRC dot org.

My experiences from State of the Map 2018, Milan, Italy about 2 months ago

Geoffrey, It was great to hear both your talks. Truly, your contribution to Weekly OSM and growing OSM helps us all learn from you.

Keep on shining and hopefully see you in Dar in a few weeks

Inclusivity at State of Map 2018 about 2 months ago

Dear Amalie, thanks for your contributions to OSM. I also appreciate your reflections on how inclusive SOTM was in terms of content.

Keep on inspiring us to learn from you,

Map-[A]ddiction has Rewards 2 months ago

Great to read more about your contributions

Results of OSM user demographic survey: further results 2 months ago

Thanks for this analysis, Zoe.

Geo-spatial mapping of health services in slums 3 months ago

Hey have you seen healthsites.io? Mark might be a good resource

Good luck on your project!

Share your story: Open Gender Monologues 3 months ago

Thanks again for this conversation. Jenjereren, thanks for this reflection. It is exactly why we need to learn from each other. How might we be a more inclusive map? How might we reflect all our lives in what we map?

Thanks for this leadership in sharing.

Share your story: Open Gender Monologues 3 months ago

Dear colleagues, I appreciate an open space for conversation, but ask for peace in tone and approach. We are all passionate about OSM. To be honest, some of the notes are exactly why we need to talk about how we are and how we collaborate.

How does the OpenStreetMap community perceive gender equity? 3 months ago

Thank you to the GeoChicas for your leadership and making this a data-driven discussion.

By combining experiences and data, we can move towards productive next steps.

Share your story: Open Gender Monologues 3 months ago

Hi Anas, thanks for your note. The focus is a culture of inclusion and 'openness'. It would be fantastic to say that no one has had experiences in OSM that made them feel gender and non-binary gender excluded. The purpose of OSM, the spirit of community and the quality of data could be improved if there was an outright expectation that we can and should be more warm and inclusive.

When it comes to LGBTQ community experiences, I will ask those folks to share. Women in this community have expressed concerns, examples, and subtle exclusion. Again, this is not 'always' the case, but it is enough for people to walk away from the community and/or not be more engaged. I say this because people are approaching me and sharing.

The Open Gender Monologues is a way to bring the conversations to the open and then work together on how we might grow and shift.

Thanks again for your kind words,

Building an inclusive map - OSM and gender discussion 6 months ago

Thanks for your comments. The call was about OSM and Gender, thus the topics we talked about related to our experiences, perspectives, and feelings about collaborating in OSM. Indeed, we discussed a few topics. The key is that we all want OSM to grow and be more inclusive. The question of why women are not more engaged in this project remains. We aim to keep thinking about this.

I agree that some of the topics are not limited to genders. Actually, I am very thankful you are bringing up this larger topic. We all have to work on this to improve OSM.

Building an inclusive map - OSM and gender discussion 6 months ago

Vincent de Phily - I agree that this is an OSM-wide issue. This call focused on OSM and Gender - a safe and inclusive conversation. I agree that there are many allies to work on this together. Looking forward to collaborating.

Severak - I will ask the GeoChicas team again.

OSM Awards as a thermometer on diversity in the mapping community 7 months ago

Selena, thank you for this discussion and for your leadership.

Colleagues, thank you for this discussion. I look forward to seeing the 2018 awards being more diverse!

A few notes: 1. A technical solution, while laudable, is only part of the equation. 2. Etiquette is also needed https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Etiquette

OSM has an opportunity to be more inclusive and diverse. This is our choice in all that we do and say. The risk of not addressing these issues one by one is that we leave behind half the world's population. If you would like a data-driven reason - the data will improve if women map and if women are part of the community in every possible way.

OSM and Gender - Invitation to Online Discussion 7 months ago

Thanks again to everyone who added their times to the poll. We will aim for more times in the future.

How to track and encourage contribution? 7 months ago

Thanks for this.

When I consider beginner and intermediate mappers, it might be good to think about this workflow in terms of 'validation'. Meaning - it would be good to have 'mentors' and feedback to know how we are mapping and how we can improve over time.

Responding to the collaborative mapping in Peru 7 months ago

Great collaborations

Open Mapping in Manila, for Open Data Day 2018 7 months ago

Great stuff! It might be good to get a full list of OSM events around OpenData Day.

Thank you, now on with the next steps 9 months ago

Thanks for your congratulations.

Regarding policies - The community and working groups will manage this issue. I am mostly concerned about how we consult and coordinate. Any major policy should have a framework of inclusive consultation. When I responded to the initial email about the "Directed editing Policy", I asked for details on research had been conducted in relation to other global data projects or policy planning. This has remained unanswered. One recommendation I would like to make is that all the local chapters get input into this. The reality is that the mailing list is not the only forum to reach people. As for conflict of interest on this policy, I would ask that you consider all the board members in that criteria.

Your implicit questioning about my IT background has been answered. Regarding mapping, yes I do plan to improve on this area.

My questions for you and others on this front:

How do you think people should adjust their online behaviour to collaborate and negotiate with others who have different viewpoints or experience?

Seeking your support for OSMF Board Membership 10 months ago

Thanks for the note on notes. Point taken. I will try to add this and OSM Streak to my weekly routines. There are many things I can improve on. Human.

What would be fun is to link the two tools :) Phiippec, Is there a github link for notes and your product idea?

A year of edits with OSM Streak 10 months ago