Glassman has commented on the following diary entries

SEO Work Hours 17 days ago

@SomeoneElse - I love your username. I used it all the time when I was a kid and my parents asked me who did it.

Most of the SEO edits from this group I just fix. They are mostly okay. But what I'd really like to see for these companies to just follow the guidelines. I've met with two different SEO firms. One of the largest and a local company located upstairs in a house in Seattle. Neither of the companies are adding to OSM, probably because we are way more difficult to add to our data. Other companies just want a spreadsheet and to follow their "tagging" guidelines.

I tried to contact the SEO companies that I know are behind some of the edits, but they just don't respond. I've even tried shaming them on Twitter. Needless to say, I don't have a lot of respect for them.

So now I'm thinking of approaching the actual firm making the edits to work with them. Is there anyone on DWG that has the time and would like to work on this? Let me know.

SEO Work Hours 17 days ago

@TomH - Guess I need to change my user name to Random_User. Thanks for the kind suggestion.

@Mateusz Konieczny - I've talked to a couple of DWG members over in the past year, not a formal complaint but just to keep current. They appear to be well known to DWG even suspect which SEO firm is paying to have the changes made.

My exercise was more to see how wide spread the edits were. It looks to me like just one firm with a couple of people working on the edits. I do need to do some more analyzing to see if I can get a count of the number of people.

It would be interesting to see what DWG is doing about them.

OSM-Projects 2 months ago

OpenSidewalks.com was the original proposal and is now incorporated into OSM. It was created by the Taskar Center at the University of Washington with the goal of helping people with limited mobility. It's being implemented in Seattle, Austin, and Santa Clara. Other cities are to follow, and not just those in the US.

AccessMap.io is a demonstration of the power of routing using OSM. The code is on GitHub

Go Map!! Update and source code availability 3 months ago

Bryce, Thanks for moving the code for the best OSM phone/tablet editor over to Github.

Best, Clifford

OSM-Projects 3 months ago

FYI - AccessMap.io is basically a demonstration of what routing for people with limited mobility. It only covers Seattle.

Creating Vector Tiles for use with iD 4 months ago

The Vector Tiles Reader is similar to what iD allows you to do, that is read the data from vector tile objects.

GeoServer does have an option to serve vector tiles, but I haven't figured it out yet. It provides the user with an .html object that contains styling for the vectors to render in a browser. The user is able to change rendering on the fly from the browser. From conversations with Brian Housel, I expect the iD development team to add the ability to style the vector tiles in iD at some time in the future.

JOSM 13996 released 5 months ago

I just saw @TheSwavu's post after I created a bug report. The key doesn't work on my linux box or MacBookPro.

See https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/16460#ticket

Mapbox Satellite 6 months ago

You can also adjust the imagery offset. At the bottom of the background settings on the toolbar is a tool to adjust the image. Ideally you would have a good reference point to adjust the imagery with. If there are many existing objects mapped, you can use them as a reference. (That doesn't make the offset correct, just matches what was used before. I would use extreme caution before attempting to move mapped objects to new imagery.)

How does the OpenStreetMap community perceive gender equity? 6 months ago

@mapeadora thank you and the entire GeoChicas team for work you are doing. This is an important subject. Getting survey data from the community helps us better understand the issues.

When you are ready to publish our final results can you produce the infographic in english? I can understand some of the references, but I'm afraid that I'm missing important detail.

Thanks, Clifford

Is it usually difficult to come to a local concensus on tagging? 6 months ago

Working through disputes is difficult, especially when its a subjective evaluation. You might want to compare your work to how others map similar objects in Newfoundland or in Canada. That would give you a better understanding of what the norm is in your country.

If your province or local government agency publishes open data on roads, you might want to compare how roads are tagged in OSM against the government tagging.

I looked at one of your tertiary classified ways. To me it looked like a highway=service. It extended only a few meters from an unclassified way to a small building.

To me a tertiary in rural areas is a road that connects small villages and hamlets. Around me, a tertiary might have a wider shoulder than an unclassified road, but not always.

adjusting the map to the satellite background 7 months ago

Yes - you can align the imagery with existing buildings and roads. In iD open the imagery panel where you can select different images, scroll to the bottom to the section Adjust Imagery Offset.

Best of luck, Clifford

What is an import? 8 months ago

@Nakaner - At a minimum having a tag: import= should be sufficient. Or even the import page url to simplify getting to the page to see details of the import.

I applaud the effort to use software to detect imports. However, we need to be careful. False positives could cause angry comment directed at the editor who did nothing wrong.

Clifford

What is an import? 8 months ago

If I use the TIGER background image, provided in both iD and JOSM, to determine geometry as well as road name, is this an import?

2016-2017 Recap 9 months ago

Russ - Thanks for the kind words for the 2016 SotM US in Seattle. Looking forward to seeing you in Detroit. Maybe Milan?

Clifford

Whats in the next (10.2) Vespucci update? 9 months ago

I should have added a disclaimer. I enable high accuracy, gps, wifi, cell and bluetooth, on my android.

The real problem is a private company, operating multiple monopolies in different areas of business, has unfettered access to such information. We have been reading about Cambridge Analytica this weekend. I'm not surprised, just saddened.

Whats in the next (10.2) Vespucci update? 9 months ago

And in today's news "North Carolina Police Issued Sweeping Warrants to Search Data On All Google Devices Near Murder Scene"

First foray into editing 10 months ago

Welcome to OpenStreetMap.

If you have any questions at all, we can help out: you think you might have broken something, you’re in doubt how to map something particular, or you just want to know more about OpenStreetMap, contact us!

Here are some useful things to get you started:

• A lot of information about mapping is available on our wiki-pages. If you don’t find how to map something within the editor of your choice, the quickest solution is look at Map Features on the wiki. For more complicated questions you can search in or post on the Help-site or ask the forum.
  • Join the OpenStreetMap US Chapter's Slack. Slack is a collaboration tool for OSM mappers, organizers, and developers.
  • learnOSM is a good place to learn more about OSM. Instructions are available for using the iD browser editor and the more advanced JOSM editor.
  • Pokemon Go players might be interested in these tips
  • If you want to keep up to date on the going-ons in the United States community, follow @OpenStreetMapUS on Twitter or the Facebook Group
  • Or subscribe to the US mailing list.
  • Want to see who’s mapping near you, or want to see how much you’ve been doing yourself, check out the maps at resultmaps.neis-one.org.
  • There’s a weekly newsletter about the global community, to which you can subscribe here.

Happy Mapping!

Clifford AKA Glassman @osm_seattle

Quick question about OSM and Discord 10 months ago

Check out the wiki for a list of Discord Accounts for OSM. You could add yours.

Mapping buildings with roofs at different levels from awkward angles 10 months ago

Best practice would be to map the roof line accurately then move the outline to match what you can see where the building sits on the ground.

Search Engine Optimization Destructive Edits 10 months ago

@Nakaner - This changeset by travelodgeseattlecenter removed the building with associated tags and added in a node with minimal tags - certainly not tourism=hotel. They do include a lengthy description=* tag. I don't complain too much about them, they are often helpful when they don't properly tag the business.

Below is a list from that period that we put up for review on the US Slack. Every case where an existing building existed, they removed them.

• User_name Changeset Id