Glassman has commented on the following diary entries

What is an import? about 1 month ago

@Nakaner - At a minimum having a tag: import= should be sufficient. Or even the import page url to simplify getting to the page to see details of the import.

I applaud the effort to use software to detect imports. However, we need to be careful. False positives could cause angry comment directed at the editor who did nothing wrong.

Clifford

What is an import? about 1 month ago

If I use the TIGER background image, provided in both iD and JOSM, to determine geometry as well as road name, is this an import?

2016-2017 Recap 2 months ago

Russ - Thanks for the kind words for the 2016 SotM US in Seattle. Looking forward to seeing you in Detroit. Maybe Milan?

Clifford

Whats in the next (10.2) Vespucci update? 2 months ago

I should have added a disclaimer. I enable high accuracy, gps, wifi, cell and bluetooth, on my android.

The real problem is a private company, operating multiple monopolies in different areas of business, has unfettered access to such information. We have been reading about Cambridge Analytica this weekend. I'm not surprised, just saddened.

Whats in the next (10.2) Vespucci update? 2 months ago

And in today's news "North Carolina Police Issued Sweeping Warrants to Search Data On All Google Devices Near Murder Scene"

First foray into editing 3 months ago

Welcome to OpenStreetMap.

If you have any questions at all, we can help out: you think you might have broken something, you’re in doubt how to map something particular, or you just want to know more about OpenStreetMap, contact us!

Here are some useful things to get you started:

• A lot of information about mapping is available on our wiki-pages. If you don’t find how to map something within the editor of your choice, the quickest solution is look at Map Features on the wiki. For more complicated questions you can search in or post on the Help-site or ask the forum.
  • Join the OpenStreetMap US Chapter's Slack. Slack is a collaboration tool for OSM mappers, organizers, and developers.
  • learnOSM is a good place to learn more about OSM. Instructions are available for using the iD browser editor and the more advanced JOSM editor.
  • Pokemon Go players might be interested in these tips
  • If you want to keep up to date on the going-ons in the United States community, follow @OpenStreetMapUS on Twitter or the Facebook Group
  • Or subscribe to the US mailing list.
  • Want to see who’s mapping near you, or want to see how much you’ve been doing yourself, check out the maps at resultmaps.neis-one.org.
  • There’s a weekly newsletter about the global community, to which you can subscribe here.

Happy Mapping!

Clifford AKA Glassman @osm_seattle

Quick question about OSM and Discord 3 months ago

Check out the wiki for a list of Discord Accounts for OSM. You could add yours.

Mapping buildings with roofs at different levels from awkward angles 4 months ago

Best practice would be to map the roof line accurately then move the outline to match what you can see where the building sits on the ground.

Search Engine Optimization Destructive Edits 4 months ago

@Nakaner - This changeset by travelodgeseattlecenter removed the building with associated tags and added in a node with minimal tags - certainly not tourism=hotel. They do include a lengthy description=* tag. I don't complain too much about them, they are often helpful when they don't properly tag the business.

Below is a list from that period that we put up for review on the US Slack. Every case where an existing building existed, they removed them.

• User_name Changeset Id
  • halfmilefarm 55707197
  • 200main 55707346
  • seattledowntownhousehyatt 55707650
  • villabound 55707870
  • holstonhousenashvillehyatt 55713165
Search Engine Optimization Destructive Edits 4 months ago

@nickjohnson - I wasn't aware of the Hilton account. I sent them a PM asking for more information about what they are doing. If we could convince other business to have a similar function I think OSM would be better off.

Releasing Turn Restriction Detections 4 months ago

Is the node in the map supposed to be selectable to see the detection results?

Lavander Ct is spelled 4 months ago

smb5000 I see you fixed the spelling. Congratulations on making your first edit.

FWI - NE2 changed it from Lavendar to Lavandar almost 6 years ago. He quoted Orange County plat book/page X/144: Azalea Homes Unit Two as his source.

New User 4 months ago

Congratulation. I can speak from experience, one person can do a lot to really improve their locality. Don't hesitate to ask for help. Many of us are on Slack and others like the Forums

Best, Clifford

New mapper 5 months ago

Welcome to OpenStreetMap. I thought I'd share with you some of the information I provide new users in Washington State.

Here are some useful things to get you started:

• Pokemon Go players might be interested in these tips
  • Or subscribe to the US mailing list.
  • If you are a business owner and want to learn how to add OpenStreetMap to your website, check out the site Switch2OSM

Clifford

OSM Provided Services Are Not a Safe Place 5 months ago

@Nakaner - could you provide some authoritative data on which forms of harassment that European culture thinks is acceptable? I've seen this argument before but never with any data to back up the claim.

OSM Provided Services Are Not a Safe Place 5 months ago

Engaging with these comments only provides an opportunity for another instant dopamine hit, or opens the door for others to engage in the same behaviour. I am unwilling to post any links to demonstrate this; it shouldn't be too hard to think of recent examples.

That is so true. I've been refraining from responding to the trolls for fear of the exactly that. Unfortunately then the trolls drive more people away from the lists and even OSM.

I don't have a good solution and I've been even searching for just that. The only sure way is to get the organization to support enforcement of a CoC. Getting OSMF to take that step is hard. Not all board members support a mailing list CoC. Worse, I'm not sure all list owners will cooperate. (I hope I'm wrong)

There is some interesting reading [Your Companies Slack is Probably Sexist]{https://work.qz.com/1128150/your-companys-slack-is-probably-sexist/) which discusses the differences in how we communicate.

Clifford

PoGo Initiative: entry 2 xD 6 months ago

The image data is available on some of the backgrounds, like Bing. I believe you'll need to use JOSM to get tile information.

The image can be aligned. Use the "Adjust imagery offset" found on the bottom of the image layers. I try to make sure the background image lines up with the roads. Some can be off many meters. I've also seen different offsets at different zoom level.

As you add more features, getting the features drawn in the right place helps.

Reviewing new users edits in Brazil 6 months ago

Wille, Congratulations on checking new users edits. The same influx of new Pokemon mappers is appearing near me. So far their edits look very good. Only one questionable edit. If I spot a problem I will leave a changeset comment explaining the problem and often fix the error.

I would also like to encourage you to send a welcome message to the new users. Mine is modeled after the Brussels community. Studies have shown that welcoming new users improve retention.

Good luck, Clifford

Proposal - OSMF Should Adopt a Code of Conduct 6 months ago

@imagico - Some of the people I mentioned did make edits to the document others help by providing insights. I didn't ask specifically if they endorse the proposal. I'll leave it to them to say.

Hi Friends 6 months ago

Welcome to OpenStreetMap. Like you I live in a small town. Nice thing about living in a small town, one person can make a big difference and you are doing that. Way to go. If you need anything don't hesitate to ask.

Clifford AKA Glassman