Glassman has commented on the following diary entries

First foray into editing 13 days ago

Welcome to OpenStreetMap.

If you have any questions at all, we can help out: you think you might have broken something, you’re in doubt how to map something particular, or you just want to know more about OpenStreetMap, contact us!

Here are some useful things to get you started:

• A lot of information about mapping is available on our wiki-pages. If you don’t find how to map something within the editor of your choice, the quickest solution is look at Map Features on the wiki. For more complicated questions you can search in or post on the Help-site or ask the forum.
  • Join the OpenStreetMap US Chapter's Slack. Slack is a collaboration tool for OSM mappers, organizers, and developers.
  • learnOSM is a good place to learn more about OSM. Instructions are available for using the iD browser editor and the more advanced JOSM editor.
  • Pokemon Go players might be interested in these tips
  • If you want to keep up to date on the going-ons in the United States community, follow @OpenStreetMapUS on Twitter or the Facebook Group
  • Or subscribe to the US mailing list.
  • Want to see who’s mapping near you, or want to see how much you’ve been doing yourself, check out the maps at resultmaps.neis-one.org.
  • There’s a weekly newsletter about the global community, to which you can subscribe here.

Happy Mapping!

Clifford AKA Glassman @osm_seattle

Quick question about OSM and Discord 13 days ago

Check out the wiki for a list of Discord Accounts for OSM. You could add yours.

Mapping buildings with roofs at different levels from awkward angles 15 days ago

Best practice would be to map the roof line accurately then move the outline to match what you can see where the building sits on the ground.

Search Engine Optimization Destructive Edits 18 days ago

@Nakaner - This changeset by travelodgeseattlecenter removed the building with associated tags and added in a node with minimal tags - certainly not tourism=hotel. They do include a lengthy description=* tag. I don't complain too much about them, they are often helpful when they don't properly tag the business.

Below is a list from that period that we put up for review on the US Slack. Every case where an existing building existed, they removed them.

• User_name Changeset Id
  • halfmilefarm 55707197
  • 200main 55707346
  • seattledowntownhousehyatt 55707650
  • villabound 55707870
  • holstonhousenashvillehyatt 55713165
Search Engine Optimization Destructive Edits 18 days ago

@nickjohnson - I wasn't aware of the Hilton account. I sent them a PM asking for more information about what they are doing. If we could convince other business to have a similar function I think OSM would be better off.

Releasing Turn Restriction Detections 23 days ago

Is the node in the map supposed to be selectable to see the detection results?

Lavander Ct is spelled about 1 month ago

smb5000 I see you fixed the spelling. Congratulations on making your first edit.

FWI - NE2 changed it from Lavendar to Lavandar almost 6 years ago. He quoted Orange County plat book/page X/144: Azalea Homes Unit Two as his source.

New User about 1 month ago

Congratulation. I can speak from experience, one person can do a lot to really improve their locality. Don't hesitate to ask for help. Many of us are on Slack and others like the Forums

Best, Clifford

New mapper about 2 months ago

Welcome to OpenStreetMap. I thought I'd share with you some of the information I provide new users in Washington State.

Here are some useful things to get you started:

• Pokemon Go players might be interested in these tips
  • Or subscribe to the US mailing list.
  • If you are a business owner and want to learn how to add OpenStreetMap to your website, check out the site Switch2OSM

Clifford

OSM Provided Services Are Not a Safe Place 2 months ago

@Nakaner - could you provide some authoritative data on which forms of harassment that European culture thinks is acceptable? I've seen this argument before but never with any data to back up the claim.

OSM Provided Services Are Not a Safe Place 2 months ago

Engaging with these comments only provides an opportunity for another instant dopamine hit, or opens the door for others to engage in the same behaviour. I am unwilling to post any links to demonstrate this; it shouldn't be too hard to think of recent examples.

That is so true. I've been refraining from responding to the trolls for fear of the exactly that. Unfortunately then the trolls drive more people away from the lists and even OSM.

I don't have a good solution and I've been even searching for just that. The only sure way is to get the organization to support enforcement of a CoC. Getting OSMF to take that step is hard. Not all board members support a mailing list CoC. Worse, I'm not sure all list owners will cooperate. (I hope I'm wrong)

There is some interesting reading [Your Companies Slack is Probably Sexist]{https://work.qz.com/1128150/your-companys-slack-is-probably-sexist/) which discusses the differences in how we communicate.

Clifford

PoGo Initiative: entry 2 xD 3 months ago

The image data is available on some of the backgrounds, like Bing. I believe you'll need to use JOSM to get tile information.

The image can be aligned. Use the "Adjust imagery offset" found on the bottom of the image layers. I try to make sure the background image lines up with the roads. Some can be off many meters. I've also seen different offsets at different zoom level.

As you add more features, getting the features drawn in the right place helps.

Reviewing new users edits in Brazil 3 months ago

Wille, Congratulations on checking new users edits. The same influx of new Pokemon mappers is appearing near me. So far their edits look very good. Only one questionable edit. If I spot a problem I will leave a changeset comment explaining the problem and often fix the error.

I would also like to encourage you to send a welcome message to the new users. Mine is modeled after the Brussels community. Studies have shown that welcoming new users improve retention.

Good luck, Clifford

Proposal - OSMF Should Adopt a Code of Conduct 3 months ago

@imagico - Some of the people I mentioned did make edits to the document others help by providing insights. I didn't ask specifically if they endorse the proposal. I'll leave it to them to say.

Hi Friends 3 months ago

Welcome to OpenStreetMap. Like you I live in a small town. Nice thing about living in a small town, one person can make a big difference and you are doing that. Way to go. If you need anything don't hesitate to ask.

Clifford AKA Glassman

Why I joined 5 months ago

Thanks for your contributions. OSM needs more dedicated contributors.

number of keys grows, and grows, and grows ... 5 months ago

Do you have a breakdown by editor of the errors?

Preparing for my first JOSM workshop - Tips/Suggestions? 5 months ago
  1. To save time have the students preinstall JOSM. Nothing can disrupt the class like a student trying to install Java and JOSM. For those that don't preinstall, ask them to follow along with another student. They can install JOSM later.
  2. It would really help to have an assistant to walk around helping students that get behind.
  3. Keep to the basics. As @feyeandal said, two hours is short. I've covered JOSM in two hours but it doesn't leave time to work a HOT Task.
  4. Their first challenge should be something local. The imagery should be familiar to them which help first timers.
  5. Once they have been working on a task for a while, stop for a few minutes to introduce new topics, such as keyboard shortcuts.
  6. When you stop in step 5. above, remind them to upload their work.
  7. Make sure they upload before leaving. If they wait until later, it's likely someone else will have worked on the task resulting in duplicate objects.

Of course when you are done, in keeping with the spirit of OSM, head for a pub to celebrate.

Best of luck, Clifford

Does anyone even check what HOTOSM contributors leave behind? 6 months ago

Why is HOT singled out? New mappers make mistakes all the time. I just fixed, and commented on the changeset, a street tagged as a gate, instead of a node on the way where the gate was actually located. HOT tasks have a validation step. You could spend some time validating tasks.

Anther approach, which I'm in favor of, is to build better systems to prevent mistakes in the first place. Take my example above, why doesn't the editor complain about adding a gate to a highway=residential way? Or your example of the polygon house tagged as a railway.

The problem isn't HOT. HOT only stands out because so many new users get their start on HOT projects.

iD's new feature of asking for a review is a good start. I believe that [OSMCha]{ https://osmcha.mapbox.com/) will be update in the near future to flag changesets asking for a review.

Clifford

Using Strava traces 6 months ago

Strava works as a layer in JOSM. Place it on top of an image layer to trace roads or trails. It can be added to iD, but only as a background image instead of a satellite image.

I would encourage you to look into JOSM. It isn't that difficult. [LearnOSM]{http://learnosm.org) has some JOSM tutorials to get you started.

Best, Clifford