I'm chugging away slowly at SA Road Naming - we've refined the processes quite a lot, and gotten into a nice working pattern.
The benefits of this data being in OSM are heavily focused on navigation and routing.
The tasks are typically one of three things:
- Find roads without a name in the JOSM file, download just that area, name it and commit it
- Find a missing road - copy and paste it in.
- Check Keepright or an OSM mirror for Almost Junctions, and fix up any that were created from the last task once a week or so.
The result is about 100 or so roads get added or named every 1-2 days - you can get a sense of the progress so far:
- 22 Mar : 5112
- 23 Mar : 4745
- 25 Mar : 4267
- 27 Mar : 3998
- 28 Mar : 3866
- 30 Mar : 3700
- 31 Mar : 3660
- 3 Apr : 3547
- 4 Apr : 3411
- 6 Apr : 3318
- 8 Apr : 3301
This kind of job is really well suited to a Map Roulette job, but to do that means I have to stop working on actually adding in any content - so I could use your help; so that I don't sped the next 33 days going slightly batty.
- Grab the current file and whack 10 or so road names. If 10 people fixed 10 names each day for 10 days(!) we'd be pretty close to finished.
- See if you can set up a Map Roulette project - my (stalled) progress to date can be found at https://github.com/CloCkWeRX/osm-scripts/tree/add_maproulette - contributions heartily welcomed.