Baloo Uriza's Diary Comments

Diary Comments added by Baloo Uriza

The case for highway=trunk on Texas frontage roads about 5 years ago

The rural Texas frontages, I definitely agree with Richard on. However, the urban version, such as you find on TX 121 where the Sam Rayburn Turnpike runs down the median? That’s pretty much a textbook trunk already.

The case for highway=trunk on Texas frontage roads about 5 years ago

Depends on the frontage system deployed. Rural frontages, I’d tend to call tertiary save for the sections feeding from and to the motorways to the relevant cross street.

Urban contexts where the system is one-way? At that point you have a surface expressway, which is normally a trunk, that has a freeway (motorway) down the median of it. I agree in the situations where the outer roadways are one-way and go through, the outer roadways should be trunk.

How would you map this? over 5 years ago

If U turns are not restricted, it doesn’t make sense to add the restriction to either possible option, routing engines will universally pick the shorter option.

Also, yeah, I really would rather go with a relation for traffic signals on a situation like this, since node mapping fails highway=traffic_signals, highway=give_way and highway=stop situations in all but the simplest of cases, and would like to get more support for doing so. Until then…node tagging works as a placeholder and something a potential future MapRoulette challenge can latch onto.

How would you map this? over 5 years ago

@Escada Which movement are you referring to?

Also, thanks for making me doublecheck, I forgot to tag the traffic light junctions. I see someone added a left-turn restriction, but I’m not sure if that’s actually the case or not (depends on if a U-turn is legal from 3100 south or not, and if not, then a couple more restrictions need to be added).

How would you map this? over 5 years ago

@mvexel: This is where placement=* comes into play. Osmand generally assumes you will end up in the corresponding lanes once you get around the corner, which from my experience is a reasonably safe assumption (and follows either best practice or the law everywhere to the best of my knowledge).

This does mean that you sometimes have to work out the centerline of through lanes for miles at a time, something in my quick and dirty example I only did to a logical stopping point. And sometimes, switching the centerline location because, say, a new lane joins on the right, then miles later a lane gets dropped on the left. I usually make such a transition at the drop if possible, tagging which lane ends, with the end of the lane line starting a new segment with one fewer lanes, placement=transition. I also use a placement=transition for situations where one or more sides of a link face a flush median like a theoretical gore, and have the junction node even with the point that theoretical gore’s nose, ending at the ramp’s centerline start adjacent to the bullnose.

How would you map this? over 5 years ago

OK, I’ve taken a crack at it. You’ll probably need to use JOSM with a lane-aware rendering style. Osmand should give proper lane-level guidance on this intersection now.

How would you map this? over 5 years ago

What’s the location? I can take a crack at this. I’ve had experience mapping a pretty big variety of intersections now as I try to lane-map every state highway in Oklahoma.

Are you joking ?? over 5 years ago

I, too, am missing what is wrong with this picture, and I’ve been to the area in question.

7.5cm aerial imagery for Washington, DC over 5 years ago

Be sure to include placement as well. Such as in the above example, placement=middle_of:3

How to deal with broken relation almost 6 years ago

If you really want to go insane, try mapping routes that have a lot of ways that appear more than one time in the same relation…and accidentally sort it

Problem with minor railways pretending to be major about 6 years ago

Heh, I don’t even have to zoom in to know that’s the McAlester Army Ammunition Depot.

Mapping Destinations Signs on US Motorways over 6 years ago

On the blue motorway_link could also take on the following tags:

junction:ref=33 destination=Halfmoon Bay;San Mateo;Hayward destination:ref=CA 92

Mapping missing motorway exit numbers over 6 years ago

I’m still of the opinion that ref=* on the highway=motorway_junction isn’t cutting the mustard.

1. While exit numbers are required in interstates, they’re not yet widely rolled out on any other American network. And even then, some states have opted to stop signing an interstate rather than go back through and (re)number the exits. California debated this with Interstate 5 for it’s nearly thousand-mile portion; Oklahoma stopped signing I 444.

2. What side is the exit on? junction:ref=* and destination::=* nails this fantastically on the departure segment of the exit, and what I’ve been focusing on when I map motorways in Oklahoma that have exit numbers. Oklahoma’s a relatively straightforward example, since only a dozen exits aren’t to the right, statewide. But I’ve tried mapping places with more complex edge cases: What happens when you have center exits? What happens when you have an even number of lanes, and lanes 1, 2 and 4 go through, but lane 3 is an exit? Where’s it go? What’s it signed as being an option to get to? What if it’s an exit when the motorway is going one way and an entrance when it’s going the other? The node tagging just doesn’t capture this except in the most ham-fisted possible way.

3. Node tagging for this already lost. Data consumers aren’t consuming motorway_junction because it’s ambiguous for the first two reasons. But at a minimum, osmand announces destination=* and destination:ref=* along with the direction of the turn:lanes=* or turn:lanes:= direction for the most likely lane.

Are most subway stations actually railway=halt? over 6 years ago

OK, in Portland terms, and I know these are all mapped out locations… I tend to think of railway halts as minor in-line stations, like Beaverton Creek, East 162nd Avenue, and Fair Complex/Hillsboro Airport. I consider them stations if they’re a bit larger and intended as a junction point between lines, such as Hillsboro Central Transit Center, Beaverton Transit Center, Gateway Transit Center, Portland Airport, Portland Union Station…

Improve OSM Improved - and now with Turn Restrictions almost 7 years ago

What do the numbers presented on the detected turn restrictions mean?

My christmas gift for the OSM Community - JOSM Keyboard Shortcuts Cheat Sheet 300 DPI almost 7 years ago

Damn…already knew them…

UK NCN 44 rerouted almost 7 years ago

Heh, please share your experience with the mailing lists. I’m trying to get route=road to stick and one of the biggest arguments is that relations are a pain in id.

exit_to vs destination Update (USA) almost 7 years ago

Destination definitely has the advantage of being applicable to more situations than just freeway exits, being more specific (a real issue given about 20-30% of ramps in my region are something other than off to the right, and I’m aware of some truly convoluted ramps that barely grasp real world logic much less are something that can be readily assumed by data consumers from a single point), and already has live adoption (Osmand at the very least).

Street names in Brazil are doomed almost 7 years ago

You should bring the changesets to the attention of the DWG

Proposal: Sunset ref=* on ways in favor of relations almost 7 years ago

@robert: If id is unable to handle relations in a rational manner, given that relations are a basic data type alongside ways and nodes, that’s a major deficiency in id and should be pointed out to the devs.