"How do I tag this" Is the most asked question of OSM users, isn't it? Newbees may easily learn how to draw points and lines in a OSM-Tutorial-Game. But how do editors help with tagging? You have to memorize it or search in the OSM-Wiki. Potlarch, Josm and also a lot of Apps have some menus and dialogs to guild tagging. I assume, they are separably hard coded and maintained by each developer, more or less influenced by user feedback.
Let's create a database for Guided Tagging rules
The knowledge about tagging, written down in a well defined format, interpretable by software.
The format may be XML and defined by a XML-scheme. The content will, define all the ways, tags may be selected and checked by an interpreter code. Step by step, the scheme and the interpreter may handle more features:
- Select-Menus and -Trees
- Dialogs with Switches, Selections, Radio-Buttons and so on
- Rules to consider between Tags (excludes, includes, context, ...)
- Sub-Dialog-Trees (i.e. Tagging scheme for wheel chair access)
- A default-list "Often used" ("Recently used" done by the interpreter code)
- An alphanumeric Index for text search!
- Tag names in English and multilingual
- Tooltips and small help texts (i.e. What means Path Grade 1 to 5?)
- Links to Tag-Symbols
- Links to the tag description in the OSM-Wiki
- menus for often used task (i.e. mapping buildings) The editor may allow to add user-defined menus
The XML-database may be edited online like wiki pages by registered members. It can be checked by the XML-scheme automatically (There could be an WYSIWYG-Editor later) The changes should be approved by a team of experienced members.
The XML-scheme and the interpreter code have to be maintained synchronously by a team of developers. The developer of the important editors should be part of this team.
Any OSM-Editor or App may use the Guided Tagging. The XML-File may be kept updated and used offline in the editing device. The code changes only with extensions of the XML-scheme, while the tagging rules may evolve day by day. Of course, next to the Guided Tagging should always be a basic tagging by name and value.
- Do you like the Idea?
- Would you like to take part of the realization?
- Quite important: Do the developer of existing Editors like it? And How can I ask them? I don't have any contact to the OSM developers.