᚛ᚏᚒᚐᚔᚏᚔᚋ᚜ 🏳️‍🌈 has commented on the following diary entries

reddit AMA with some OSMF Board members. 15:00Z 9 Nov 20 days ago

You can submit your questions here: https://www.reddit.com/r/openstreetmap/comments/jnijni/ask_us_anything_we_are_openstreetmap_foundation/

OSMF 2020 entre inquiétude et déception / OSMF 2020 between concern and disappointment about 1 month ago

[3]. Unless I’m mistaken, only one member of the board is involved, but the exchange is particularly enlightening: Rory McCann summarizes the board’s approach to funding decisions in terms of what “sounds good” and he fails to understand the expectations summarized by Imagico in the sentence “document and publish the key parts of the decision making process, in particular risk analysis that has been made on social implications and economic risk”.

OK, I think I did address this comment ( https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/imagico/diary/393808#comment47892 ), but to spell it out:

I have used osm2pgsql & Nominatim for years and years, both personally and professionally. I used to use Potlatch as my first editor. I know how useful and important it is. I know how a lot of open source is underfunded and underdeveloped. I know that FLOSS devs often suffer burnout. I see big companies being able to steamroll through open source because they can throw money at things. So when I see the oppertunity to support it, I support it.

I believe that meets this request. Christoph (or you) never did define how many words were required. I could write a 10,000 word document on how useful osm2pgsql etc. are, but then I don’t have the time to work on other board stuff, and I think it’s better to work on other issues like take over protection, reviewing local chapter applications etc.

Two years later, the OSMF does not seem to be better armed to counter this danger, and rather less so, having less cash and greater financial needs to maintain its servers. Draft solutions had been proposed, but were not taken up and implemented

I started the conversation about AoA changes to maker it harder to “buy the OSMF”, and I plan to email some more drafts, and have an AoA amendment prposal for everyone to vote on. I want to do something for this.

Distance to nearest building in North America about 1 month ago

@Jakuje Thanks for alerting me. I have fixed it.

My August 2020 in OSM about 2 months ago

@dieterdreist “compared to the number of female mappers” You haven’t provided any decent evidence for how many mappers are male/female/not-male/etc, so you shouldn’t really claim that.

My August 2020 in OSM about 2 months ago

This diary entry & some of these comments made it to WeeklyOSM № 531.

My August 2020 in OSM 2 months ago

@mmd Sorry for the miscommunication, we had a preferred candidate in mind, rather than an open interview process. Were yout thinking of applying?

My new image-collection camera plus some OSMF Board work 2 months ago

The OSMF also awarded a microgrant to StreetComplete, another OSM editing app.

My August 2020 in OSM 3 months ago

@Zvierik: Glad to hear. In case you missed it, there was a thread on the osmf-talk@ mailing list about iD hiring.

Thoughts on the how and where of the OSMF starting to hand out money in the OSM community 3 months ago

but you still do not seem to understand what i mean

Correct. I, unfortunately, do not understand what you mean. I would like to understand. Can you please explain?

You now seem to suggest that my recommendation can only be met by publishing all your IRC logs

I said no such thing. Please do not misrepresent me as some extremist. I honestly do not know what would meet your standards, and in an attempt to reach mutual understanding, I attempted to understand you, and offered several suggestions, like extreme examples of publishing IRC logs, or detailing interactions at sub-hour granuality.

I am not going to publish all my IRC/IM/chat logs, especially if you won’t do the same. 😉

You previously required that one provide a “moral defense of universal behavior regulation”, so you can’t get away with saying “This is self-evident!”. 🙂 Especially since I keep saying “No, it’s not, please define your standard”. I provided a reply, and you haven’t defined your standard, nor explicitly pointed out what my reply lacks. How many words do you expect? What accuracy of dates do you expect? (Do you want me to say “on [date] [time], I heard about [topic] from [person]”, or can I say “A few weeks ago, [name] said [topic]”). What level of publicity do you want? All my IRC logs? If you can’t define your standard, it just looks like you’re setting up an unwinnable standard.

@imagico > publish the key parts of the decision making process, in particular risk analysis that has been made on social implications and economic risks.

Yep, I did that in this comment. Clearly that’s not what you want. 🙂 So I ask, why doesn’t that match your requirements? What’s your standard? What do you want?

IMO, I met your standard. I think you think I didn’t. Maybe you need to write up a more detailed standard so I know what to aim for.

@mmd

there needs to be some way to bring important infrastructure parts back into active maintenance. That could mean that you need to actively reach out to the community and possibly find some contractor.

OK, so what are you asking? Should I just post to the mailing list and then have done it? Would you like to do that? I’m telling you now that the people should feel free to reach out to the board. OSM is a do-ocracy. 🙂

There are many projects where it would be nice if they were more active, incl. mod_tile. But what’s the next step? What can I, or the OSMF Board do? We can’t wave a magic wand and generate active FLOSS contributors (can you?). It’s easy to say “I dislike the level of activity of $PROJECT”, it’s harder to actually do something. What are you asking me to do? 🙂

Thoughts on the how and where of the OSMF starting to hand out money in the OSM community 4 months ago

@imagico you have access to the same amount information on these projects as I do. The applications were in ages ago in the form of Microgrant applications. You & I know osm2pgsql & nominatim & potlatch. So then someone suggests they get funding. And I thought “Yes, I know them, sounds good”. Just because I didn’t want to write up all the rules & procedures first doesn’t mean I am not guided by principles & ideas, it doesn’t mean I am making decisions on an ad-hoc basis with any thought. It’s unwritten rules & procedures, like lots of OSM.

Again, what do you actually want? What is your standard? Should I spend the next 2 weeks writing a 10,000 word rule for how exactly I plan to vote as a board member (instead of something else)? Would that be good enough for you?

@mmd Does someone want money to work on mod_tile? Who? What’s the proposal? How much? Serious question.

(Context: I’m on the OSMF Board). The OSMF Board has not yet decided to give the money yet, we are just asking the wider OSM(F) community. The process for making the decision will be a regular circular resolution. I support this funding proposal. The suggestion to fund these came from someone on the board.

I’m not really sure what your complaint is, I think it’s “The OSMF Board hasn’t written detailed policy decisions in advance before suggesting it” and yes you’re right. We’re making decisions on a case-by-case basis here. You want “public documentation of the criteria”? Here’s mine: “These software tools are very popular, and the people behind it have a track record of delivering things the OSM community benefits from”. Is that OK? (If not, please tell me what you are looking for).

Westmeath Field Names Recording Project (Ireland) 5 months ago

We’ve imported some Logainm data into OSM before. There are ways to get the licence clear. Don’t worry, there would be people like me who know this area working on such an import.

01/07/2020: I have discovered OSM diaries. 5 months ago

Hello! 👋 You can view all OSM diaries at this link: https://www.openstreetmap.org/diary or all English language ones here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/diary/en

Mapillary and Facebook - Combining our open mapping efforts 5 months ago

Facebook is helping demolish racism right now

I trust Amenesty International on topics like this, and they say “Facebook poses an unprecedented danger to human rights”:

the surveillance-based business model of Facebook and Google is inherently incompatible with the right to privacy and poses a systemic threat to a range of other rights including freedom of opinion and expression, freedom of thought, and the right to equality and non-discrimination

Goodbye Foursquare, Hello OpenStreetMap! 6 months ago

Welcome to OSM! I look forward to your contributions. 🙂

My first ever edit on openstreetmap 6 months ago

Welcome! If you have any questions feel free to reach out