Recent diary entries
this is a follow up to my last blog post http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/werner2101/diary/20213 about OSB phase out.
Things happend in the last two weeks:
- I've created a wiki page for it: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenStreetBugs/Phase_Out
- The tool to review bugs works fine now. (see next link)
- Improved statistic tool, creating this page: http://www.h-renrew.de/h/osm/osmchecks/09_osb_phaseout/
- osbbugs app no longer creates osb bug entries (thanks to the author)
- started to review bugs in areas with low bug density e.g. Africa, Australia, Alaska, ....
The bug count has been reduced by 3000 bugs in the last two weeks, other mappers have started to review bug entries in different places (Philipines, Ireland, England, Germany ...). Thank you.
But ... who is still adding so many bugs to the database?
Oh, someone creates bugs with bulk uploads.
Looking into the database, the new bugs look like this.
| 755253 | svet [NoName/OsmAnd633, 2013-10-24 15:00:00 CEST]
| 755254 | svet [NoName/OsmAnd633, 2013-10-24 15:00:00 CEST]
| 755255 | svet [NoName/OsmAnd633, 2013-10-24 15:00:00 CEST]
| 755256 | kr [NoName/OsmAnd633, 2013-10-24 15:00:01 CEST]
| 755257 | SBB [NoName/OsmAnd633, 2013-10-24 15:00:02 CEST]
| 755258 | 76 [NoName/OsmAnd633, 2013-10-24 15:00:03 CEST]
| 755259 | mgt [NoName/OsmAnd633, 2013-10-24 15:00:03 CEST]
| 755260 | gvbs [NoName/OsmAnd633, 2013-10-24 15:00:04 CEST]
| 755261 | SBB [NoName/OsmAnd633, 2013-10-24 15:00:04 CEST]
| 755262 | 76 [NoName/OsmAnd633, 2013-10-24 15:00:04 CEST]
| 755263 | bul33 [NoName/OsmAnd633, 2013-10-24 15:00:04 CEST]
Wow, 11 new bugs in 5 seconds. Looks like someone is using OSB to collect mapping notes ....
Where are all the newly created bugs? Currently the open bug distribution created after 2013-10-01 looks like this:
- [RU] 1811
- [DE] 341
- [BY] 23
- [NL] 17
- [PL] 16
- [FR] 13
After disabling the OSB homepage 2013-10-15 looks like this:
- [RU] 716
- [BY] 22
- [DE] 5
- [IT] 3
Looks like the only major creator of new bugs lives in Russia / Moscow.
Please fix as many bugs as possible in your city, your county, country, ...
yesterday the creation of new bug entries on (http://openstreetbugs.schokokeks.org/) has been disabled.
I'm currently tinkering about how to phase-out OpenStreetBug.
- Where are the bugs?
- What's the state of the open bugs?
- How to organise the change?
The open bugs (45k) are not equaly distributed over the world. Most of the bugs are in germany and netherlands. Here is a map that displays all open bugs. Each of the 512 rectangles contains about 86 bugs.
The state of the bugs
I've reviewed about 500 bugs in the south of Germany and I guess the bugs can be splitted in following categories:
- 10% useless descriptions
- 30% already fixed in the map, but the OSB have not been closed
- 10% can be fixed with the bug description
- 20% can be fixed with aerial images (Bing)
- 30% local knowledge required (can not be fixed)
Organise the change
Disabling adding new bugs to the OSB database: Adding new bugs has been disabled by some applications, but there Apps, that can still add new bugs to the database. We have to talk to all App developers to create OSM Notes instead of OpenStreetBugs. see (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Openstreetbug#Tools_for_Using_and_Exporting_Data)
Communicate to the users to use Notes: I've added a deprecation notice to all the OpenStreetbugs wiki pages. OSMBugs.org and the original OSB homepage contain that message now, too.
Invite mappers to fix open bugs in their own area.
Prepare and organize a mapping party to do the final switch to OSM Notes (maybe around 31.12.2013). This may include moving open and usefull OSB bugs to OSM Notes. I will collect some more ideas on this topic how to create worklists, gpx-files of the open bugs, or write a special tool for the party ...
BTW: This it my first blog entry.
- created a page in the wiki: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenStreetBugs/Phase_Out
- provided worklists and stats: http://www.h-renrew.de/h/osm/osmchecks/09_osb_phaseout/
Please help fixing bugs.