sdoerr has commented on the following diary entries

Getting accept / decline licence screen on logon today over 3 years ago

There was a 'pre-announcement' on OSM-Talk on 12 April, and the date was announced there on 14 April ("OpenStreetMap License Change Phase 3 begins Sunday").

My main beef is that I didn't want to accept or decline straight away (I realized I wouldn't be able to edit until I did), but I was locked out of everything at openstreemap.org until I did: I couldn't even look at the slippy map on the home page. I couldn't write a diary entry, comment on someone else's diary entry, reply to a personal message someone sent me at the weekend, etc. I couldn't even log out!!!

So I've reluctantly clicked Decline (I didn't really want to be counted as a 'vote' against the change at this stage) so that I can do all those things while I make up my mind.

Kingdom Hall Located over 3 years ago

@LivingWithDragons: no, 'cos, basically, I never do. I suppose I could in this case, as I have the info to hand.

Eastgate or High Street? over 3 years ago

Yes, the Yorkshire -gate is like the German -gasse, a street generally smaller than a -stra├če. Not in Kent though, as you say.

The gate in the city wall (where it crossed the High Street, which was presumably the old Roman road which became known as Watling Street) was the East Gate, and Eastgate must take its name from this.

Kent's 18th-c. historian, Edward Hasted, refers several times to 'the suburb of Eastgate', and on one occasion to 'the High-street of the suburb of Eastgate'. (See http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53802.) That suggests that it was originally a settlement-name rather than a street-name as such, denoting the ribbon development that must have grown up along the Roman road outside the city walls. As there was presumably only one street in the settlement, you can see how the settlement-name could have become the name of the street.

As well as Hasted, there are references to Eastgate on the City Ark section of Medway's web site (cityark.medway.gov.uk), including 'Title deeds to 172-184 eastgate, High Street, Rochester relating to site of showrooms and offices of Seeboard and adjacent premises as rented out by Seeboard (formerly Kent Electric Power Co.), successive earlier parties including Ralph James Fremlin, Richard Henry Fremlin and Walter Thomas Fremlin all of Maidstone, brewers (later Whitbread Fremlin Ltd.) (pale ale and stout stores) 1875[...]': interesting that here both names are included, Eastgate being a subsidiary of High Street.

Eastgate or High Street? over 3 years ago

No, there are two name-plates at the Star Hill end which clearly say HIGH STREET.

Eastgate or High Street? over 3 years ago

Thanks, marscot. Actually, even the OS probably wouldn't recognize no. 130 as being in 'Eastgate', as they show it as High Street up as far east as Crow Lane. I made the dividing line at the city wall (site of the East Gate itself) as that seemed more logical to me - also to show I wasn't just copying in-copyright OS maps, although I admit I've looked at them! (That's how I know where 130 is.)

Steve

Gravesham moves up again! over 3 years ago

Thanks mannequinZOD. That red line (26/01/11) looks suspiciously smooth compared with the others though!

Gravesham moves up again! over 3 years ago

@netman55: not:name was dreamt up by ITO specifically to be used in conjunction with their OSM vs. OS Locator analysis tool. They probably ought to document it in the wiki. They do have an entry for their tool in the wiki, but it links to this blog post (http://itoworld.blogspot.com/2010/07/new-openstreetmap-analysis-service.html), where the features, including not:name, are outlined.

Gravesham moves up again! over 3 years ago

I'm mostly using alt_name if the OS has an apostrophe that the street-sign lacks. Though I did baulk at the OS's "PEPY'S WAY" in Strood.

Gravesham moves up again! over 3 years ago

@netman55: what, not even with the use of not:name?

Yes! over 3 years ago

No, 'cos then they might overtake Gravesham!

Actually, yes, but I'm spoilt for choice. Dartford's my nearest neighbouring district, but Medway's my childhood home (and where actually most of my OSM activity has been - half of Strood was missing when I first started). Then there's Sevenoaks where my mum now lives. Decisions, decisions...

Steve

100% Yet? over 3 years ago

Yes, I've put not:name tags on the OSM ways that correspond to the AVEUNE names in Locator. That means we consider the Locator name to be wrong (which it clearly is in these cases!) and ITO obligingly treats it as a match rather than a discrepancy. Musical Chairs doesn't take account of not:name (which was invented by ITO, I believe). Judicious use of al_name also helps.

100% Yet? over 3 years ago

LOL. I'm taking the name 'Open Street Map' literally ;-)

Steve

PS: How do I read your name? Is it Komyapa, Kotyara, or something else?

Gravesham Storming Up the Table over 3 years ago

The time-lag is a bit annoying. Changes I made Wednesday evening are not taken into account in today's version.

Gravesham Storming Up the Table over 3 years ago

6 more street-names resolved according to last night's update, pushing us up another 18 places to 58th. 246 names resolved in the last month - sounds pretty good, until you look at North Lanarkshire!

Steve Doerr