russdeffner has commented on the following diary entries

duration=P10Y1D 17 days ago

Hi Minh, thank you for making me chuckle this morning :) Happy 10th OSM-iversary!

=Russ

Hello World 20 days ago

Hi Marcus, welcome to OpenStreetMap! You might next visit: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Bay_Area,_California - join the mailing list and/or meetup and if you're a wiki editor as well, you might add yourself to the users in the bay area list.

Happy Mapping!

=Russ

2016-2017 Recap about 1 month ago

Hi Clifford, I'm hoping to make time for a 2018 aspirations post but I did already buy my ticket for State of the Map Milan; so now just fingers crossed I can afford the rest of the trip :) Haven't added Detroit to the line-up yet, but about 75% likelihood I'll be going back to Dar Es Salaam for FOSS4G and the HOT Summit in August. I'll leave it there before this becomes that post ;)

=Russ

OSM and Gender - Invitation to Online Discussion 2 months ago

I disagree butrus_butrus and welcome the discussion.

Malaria in Zimbabwe - HOT 9 months ago

Thank you Luis and team!

Hi about 1 year ago

Welcome to OSM, I sent you a direct message with some links and info.

Happy Mapping!

=Russ

Mapping Errors in Guatemala and Honduras about 1 year ago

Hi Sunfishtommy,

I'm the project manager for the HOT Malaria Elimination mapping. We are working on the validation and clean-up of the mapping. We have a lot of student mappers so hopefully their work will improve as we progress. Thanks for the patience and feel free to jump in to help!

=Russ

Russell.Deffner@hotosm.org

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team

PROJECT 2396. over 1 year ago

Thank you mutenyo joan!

@PBJomel - Project 2396 is part of a collection of mapping projects to provide building footprints, as well as basemap, for the Clinton Health Access Initiative's campaign to eliminate malaria. They will use the data to plan and conduct various malaria interventions.

Stay tuned to the HOT communication channels for more information and new projects.

#Nina2016 Post-disaster Mapping over 1 year ago

Hi, the HOT Activation group has been monitoring the typhoon. However, we not yet received any requests from response or aid organizations, so it's unlikely we will activate. Although we could help the local mappers by creating projects. Stay tuned and/or feel free to message the HOT mailing list

Arme OSMF almost 2 years ago

@SimonPoole - I don't want to take up this thread to debate the 'coordination' of the OSM Community. I think anyone who follows closely knows that these projects directly impact the number and ability of local mappers. HOT is no longer in Mongolia, but since that project the local community has flourished (for a relatively tiny semi-nomadic population per area). That's the only one I have enough hands-on knowledge to discuss, but all our welcome to join/ask/decide for themselves https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot

Arme OSMF almost 2 years ago

Forgive this being in English; just wanted to point that as a 501c3 Non-profit, HOT is required to publish our tax info: https://hotosm.org/finances - you can see most monies go directly to OSM community building projects: https://hotosm.org/projects/community followed by Technical development work: https://hotosm.org/projects/technical

Frisbeegolf rata almost 2 years ago

Here is a wiki-page for the sport, don't think any tags have been officially proposed yet: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Disc_golf

Notes from OSM-Colorado Saturday Mapternoon May 28, 2016 almost 2 years ago

@BushmanK - None of us are personally 'worried' about the rendering issue, but more that people would continue to 'revert' because of it and we just might not have the time/man-power to keep up on it. I've switched a couple and will see what happens, but I'll keep in mind the nature_reserve idea - but we have stuff like that as well - here's an example of something that our State (vs. Federal/National) I think would fall under that: Colorado SWAs - but I think would also/better be protect_class=4 - in any case it is my personal opinion that all these 'protection/conservation/land stewardship' places all nicely fit in the boundary=protected_area schema, and I tend to point US folks to the country specific table here.

Notes from OSM-Colorado Saturday Mapternoon May 28, 2016 almost 2 years ago

@Glassman - Yes, this is super exciting, as it's more a collaboration than just an import. They plan on updating various data sets on roughly 2 year cycles; so once we've got the workflow/conflation/etc. down, then we'll be looking at potentially some change detection so maybe OSM-ers can help 'identify' where new stuff is being built and in turn help DRCOG prioritize; as well as generally getting them directly involved with the community (maybe there's something OSM-Colorado can help them capture that would otherwise be cost prohibitive). We had Ashley Summers at the meetup, after a couple months of emails and a phone chat, it was just great to talk for a few hours.

Platte River now has banks about 2 years ago

Thanks David! As always, impressive work - looks like you actually did not map every day in 2015, hope that was for vacation :)

Also, look for a geobeers/mappy hour at Caution West as soon as the weather gets a bit more predictable.

=Russ

Getting started about 2 years ago

Oh, I assume you're talking about the main OSM website router(s) - since the project began and the governing organization OSMF is based in the UK, most default stuff is metric. Not sure if you can change that/have options on the main website, but I use Maps.Me (which is built on OSM) for routing/navigation. There's tons of other sites as well, think MapQuest Open is still around http://open.mapquest.com/ - based in US so default is imperial.

Hope that helps, and FYI - unfortunately there isn't a 'notification' system with these diary comments, so only returned 'on a whim' that you responded - feel free to email me directly - contact info on my OSM profile: https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/russdeffner

Getting started about 2 years ago

Great, welcome to OpenStreetMap! Looks like there's lots of work to be done in that area (i.e. you could also trace the building and other businesses - unless that whole building is yours, then you could instead add the tags to it). Here's a place to learn more http://learnosm.org

Happy Mapping!

=Russ

i will try mapping about 2 years ago

Hi, noticed you haven't made any edits yet; if you're looking for some instruction, you can visit http://learnosm.org

Happy Mapping!

=Russ

100 Tile Milestone about 2 years ago

Hi Canyons,

Thanks so much for contributing to the Fiji projects! You're doing pretty good - building footprints are looking great - it will get much easier with time to identify road classifications (I just adjusted and left a comment on one of your tiles from #1623). One thing I do want to say, is we ask in the instructions for you to change your comment from the default; i.e. all your changeset comments here are only the 'auto-populated' text - please add what you did (example: "...#cyclone_winston buildings and roads mapping" should become something like "...#cyclone_winston buildings and roads mapping - I added several residential roads and a dozen or so buildings")

Happy Mapping.

best day of mapping about 2 years ago

Oh, would love to hear more - were you in the field with HOT team in Uganda? Don't see edits, so thinking that is what you're referring to; looking forward to more of the story and/or pictures.

Happy Mapping!