russdeffner has commented on the following diary entries

This is the first day of my OPENSTREETMAP! 25 days ago

There is also a China mailing list, where I assume most speak/write in Chinese; visit: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-cn to sign up

GEOG 606 Cartography Exercise 5: Diary Entry 1 about 1 month ago

Thanks for this, and welcome to OSM; just curious - if you are looking for other individual's stories, you can actually RSS the diary, i.e. how I saw this. I have a rather fun history with OSM, told most of it in a webinar just a few hours ago. Some of it is in my diary: - been meaning to post much more, will try to get back at it

The first 30-day challenge: retrospective about 1 month ago

Thanks and Congratulations! Double thanks for sharing your thoughts on how to make a better contest all around, and...

Happy Mapping, =Russ

Today I am confused by OSM about 1 month ago

Yep, just know that 'we' are listening...

Welcome and Happy Mapping! =Russ

Sugar Maple Mapping 4 months ago

Hello, welcome to OSM!

OSM cannot help you directly, but you are more than welcome to use OSM as component(s) in your map. Some of the information you are looking at collecting might not be 'good' data for OSM, but some of it may. For example, we definitely encourage folks to map wooded areas using natural=wood and other descriptive tags; and if you have more detail about individual trees you can also add those using natural=tree, species=, etc. But we don't want to include private information, like the name and photo of the producer. However you could link your data (contained in an external database as an example) to OSM or vice versa. I would suggest you look at this website for some more information and examples: http://switch2osm.org/

Happy Mapping, =Russ

Please check! 5 months ago

Hello, welcome to OSM! Thank you for contributing to the project, especially in these areas impacted by Yolanda/Haiyan. You may be interested in following/participating in the collaborative efforts of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Typhoon_Haiyan

In general, if you think you're improving the map, please do - in this case adding the missing roads as unclassified is better than them not being there. However, if you are using the default Bing imagery, it is outdated and lots of the smaller roads are impassible; see the documentation linked above for areas/ways to get post-disaster imagery as well as related tasks for various areas via the HOT tasking manager - http://tasks.hotosm.org/

Just a couple of things I noticed in your edits; first, please use the changeset comment (i.e. when you save) - this lets other mappers know what you intended to do so we can better give advise - it can be something simple like "added missing road(s)..." Second, you may be using unclassified incorrectly - if you mean "I'm not sure what kind of road this is", use highway=road; unclassified is actually a meaningful classification. As an example one road you added looked like a driveway, in that case highway=service, service=driveway may be a better classification. See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway for details.

Happy Mapping, =Russ

Where to report abuse? 8 months ago

I think your best alternative to directly requesting the user stop is to add them here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Spam&oldid=862187

Added Barriers to tracks 8 months ago

Hello again Richard,

Looks like a good start, and as usually an improvement to the map/data is an improvement.

In general, it would be better to actually intersect the tracks with the barrier; i.e. create a node where the two lines cross. This will help routing engines determine that they do indeed intersect, versus a bridge that goes over the feature.

As for the barrow ditches, your method is fine unless you were to map the entire ditch, then you might want to use waterway=ditch; see this wiki page: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:waterway%3Dditch - as it describes how barrier is implied.

As for the dry wash, it would be best to map the entirety of the 'stream'; see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:stream for more details to map it as an 'intermittent' stream, which I am guessing that water does flow down it when there is rain (maybe it even has a name?).

If you do switch from the barrier tags, then you'll want to mark a section of the track(s) as ford(s), see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:ford for details.

Hope that helps,

=Russ

Haekel Road 9 months ago

No problem Richard, always happy to help. I guess we'll have to call this 'good' for now. I looked again and can't determine from the imagery exactly where the actually springs are, but as you say 'it's on the map' and any improvement is just that.

Happy Mapping,

=Russ

Haekel Road 9 months ago

Hello Richard,

Looks like you've found yourself mapping what we typically refer to as a 'TIGER Desert', see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TIGER_fixup for more info. I would say you're most likely correct about the Haekel/Hackle name discrepancies (if you saw it on a sign, I'd go with that). And remember these roads originated from census workers and mapping obviously wasn't their focus (or forte). Little tracks are useful for emergency services (think firefighters trying to get way back somewhere) but if they no longer exist (or they're just so far off the truth) I'd say delete them - it's sometimes just easier to re-trace anyway.

As for the Hot Well Dunes, first there were two points both basically saying the same thing, but were not 'on top of' anything that looked like campsites. I looked around in the Bing imagery and found what looks to be camping (or at least picnic areas) - can you confirm there is one closer to Haekel Road and one further into the dunes? I used the existing POI's and expanded them to polygons around those two (hopefully) camping areas. Lastly I removed the leisure=hot_spring tag and created a new POI for what looked like the spring (is that it in the 'square' tree frame?).

Anyway, you're doing great improving the map, keep it up!

=Russ

russdeffner@gmail.com

russdeffner on OSM

Maps and the Geospatial Revolution online course 9 months ago

Hope you don't mind me prying a bit, but could you elaborate on why it seemed difficult then vs. now? Did you have previous mapping/GIS/geospatial knowledge or was this your first course in the field? Did taking this course give you more confidence in being able to edit OSM?

Thanks for the discourse,

=Russ

Dear OSM diary, and new friends stumbling in the doorway here 9 months ago

Hello Charlie,

Welcome to OSM, and unfortunately - yes, Wyoming is going to be big and lonely as far as mapping goes (for a while at least, hope that changes). Not that I wouldn't love to see you helping out Northern Colorado, we have a pretty robust community and your efforts may be better directed towards your state. Of course your welcome to map where you want and if you're interested, check out http://www.meetup.com/OSM-Colorado/ - maybe either we'll have an event up in FC that you can make or if you happen to be further south during another, feel free to drop in.

Also let me know if you'd like some tips contacting other mappers in your beautiful state, and/or getting a local group going. I'm actually part of the American Red Cross CO/WY Region so hopefully I'll be able to encourage some of the volunteers up that way to start mapping.

Keep up the good work,

=Russ

russdeffner@gmail.com

russdeffner on OSM

Homage to My Alma Matter 9 months ago

Thanks Harry,

I too saw their fairly nice (mainly due to the indoor stuff) campus maps using Google; and agree it may be hard to make the case, but you never know it seems a bit 'half-ass' since almost all these buildings are multiple stories and I couldn't see a quick/easy way to see the other levels (just which ever one was 'default', etc.). Maybe that would be better done with OpenLayers or something where they could just 'overlay' that data.

Beyond gardens and trees :) I think cross campus travel, parking, and general beauty of the campus is better and with some survey the usability of the map could blow any other away. I will reach out to some folks up there and see what they have to say, and will update here.

=Russ

Maps and the Geospatial Revolution online course 9 months ago

Thanks for the post, and I see you registered for OSM years ago but haven't edited much. Are you taking this course? Have they talked about OSM or 'crowd-sourced' maps? Did that spark your interest again? The community has been discussing recruiting/keeping mappers over the last couple days on the Talk-US list, it'd be great to hear your thoughts of what kept you from editing and (I hope) why you're getting back into it now.

Also, please feel free to reach out to me if you need help getting going.

=Russ

russdeffner@gmail.com

russdeffner on OSM

Working within Euro-Centric guidelines when mapping rural USA 9 months ago

Oh I just realized your talking about ref, not name - so CR# and USFS# seem appropriate.

Working within Euro-Centric guidelines when mapping rural USA 9 months ago

Hello Mark,

I'll just speak to roads right now, 60% unpaved sounds about right - unless you count all our crazy 2-track off-highway 'trails' (that, yes, folks drive on), maybe even more. As with tradition of OSM, I would use County Road # rather than abbreviated; for roads inside US Forest Service Boundaries, it always seemed a little overkill to spell out the whole thing, it can be implied that a road within the boundary is theirs so I use Forest Road #. I know you've come across your share of TIGER deserts while mapping here, so one thing to be cautious of is a lot of those roads are (in theory) one in the same; i.e. it will be County Road 1 while on county lands and Forest Road 1 as soon as it crosses into USFS lands (and some may go in and out) and TIGER is often very incorrect of where those changes occur. I would suggest if you see what looks like homes anywhere nearby, use county, etc.

Also, please don't tag all dirt roads as Tracks! If there are homes along/off the road it should be Residential and it will often be left to locals to say that a dirt road may actually be better tagged Tertiary, Primary, etc. - these should be used to represent the significance/usage of the road and are all valid even if it's dirt. Please use surface=* and other descriptive tags to represent 'road condition'.

Happy Mapping,

=Russ =Russ

Using OpenStreetMap on a daily basis 9 months ago

I like your vision... the best basemap of the world does not equal the best map of the world. I will continue mapping and encouraging OSM in all regards, look forward to the future of OSM, and will brace myself for near disastrous attempts at these 'advanced' features.

=Russ

Rural Colorado 10 months ago

I cannot thank you enough Mark! I would not have 'down-graded' the need for mappers without your amazing efforts in the area. Not a small component of why I started the call for remote mapping is that OSM can/will be able to provide at minimum a better basemap for these fire areas.

Keep up the great work, and Happy Mapping! =Russ

New to OSM 10 months ago

Rusty, Are you getting an error when you try to save? I addressed the issue of 2+ mappers editing the same node/way at the same time above - if that isn't it, maybe search at: https://help.openstreetmap.org/

Also, you've probably found yourself living in a 'TIGER desert', see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TIGER_fixup for some tips. I also was living in one, it will take some time to fix-up, but keep going, we'll get there.

Happy Mapping, =Russ

New to OSM 10 months ago

Oh, unless your question was more basic than that - sorry, old hat - the beauty of OSM is that we as a community reach consensus about the data; the wiki gives suggested/'approved' tagging schemes, i.e. highway=motorway has a well defined usage versus highway=trunk (although in different parts of the world they may still be used differently). Start there, then if you find something that isn't clear or you think should be different in your area versus what the wiki describes (the project started in the UK, so their english sometimes doesn't directly translate ;) ), that's when it's usually time to reach out to the community - typically through the mailing list, but in CO we often discuss things at our meet-ups/mapping events, etc. and basically 'decide' how we as a sub-set of the community will tag and sometimes we'll get a volunteer to mediate with the larger OSM-US, and international communities.