robert has commented on the following diary entries

OpenStreetMap Isn't All That Open, Let's Change That and Drop Share-Alike 10 months ago

It's not a good approach to start your post with the title invoking the whole "non-share-alike is more open" thing, which is easily disprovable. Share-alike rules are there to ensure things remain free.

Ashley Camille Modeling, Acting & Career Training Center 10 months ago

spam

iD Newbie friendly feature request 11 months ago

Yeah, I've had ideas similar to this ( http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Robert#IRC ) which have been generally well received, but of course nothing's happened because, as with everything, it needs someone to implement it (and I'm busy implementing other crazy things).

Another (slightly more far fetched) possibility would be integrating with something like https://togetherjs.com/ to enable us to offer actual hands-on assistance to users.

Wishlist: GPX tracks analyzer 11 months ago

I'm working on something along those lines: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/That_Shouldnt_Be_Possible

Though it's not really designed for "batch mode" as the results do have to be analyzed slightly to see what's wrong.

I'm hoping to expand its coverage to more countries soon.

Dissertation Editors 11 months ago

spam

Paddington mapping. Holborn pub tonight about 1 year ago

Hey! Why did you lot get to be "Alpha squadron"?

rolex replica swiss vres and audioLearning and Adul about 1 year ago

Thanks spammer

pre-SOTM drinks + Victoria + Cheshire cheese about 1 year ago

The third (Alex's) photo there is an excellent photo. It's a bit like an osm last supper.

Learning about paths about 1 year ago

Generally (and this will probably start an argument) paths are used out in rural areas where designations aren't so strict (or present at all).

In towns and cities where things often seem to be designated one way or another, people tend to break down into footway, cycleway etc.

Nike Free 4.0 V2 and neck pain when sleeping on about 1 year ago

spam

GeoGit and GitHub Geo about 1 year ago

I've previously put a lot of thought into what's preventing OSM from using a Git/DVCS/DAG-y type model and what makes OSM & large scale geodata fundamentally different from a large software project. The conclusion I came to wasn't that it was the size of the data that was the important factor, it was the number of contributors. Sure, we know that Git-managed projects can practically scale to hundreds, perhaps thousands of contributors. But tens of thousands? 100,000? Without the process becoming chaotic and necessity of (sometimes complex) "merges" scaring off users?

Because in OSM you essentially have tens of thousands of users editing the same "repository". And with that you'll have an awful lot of merges to do, whether they're semi-automatic or not.

(these really are rhetorical questions - I would love to find out the answers)

Warning: GPS tracks recorded with an iPhone can be a waste about 1 year ago

Yes, many satnav systems in particular have been known to do this when collecting gpx traces. The concern is more than just that of accuracy - it's also potentially a copyright problem: are the traces now a derived work of the Apple road network? (that's a rhetorical question - I don't think anyone has the answer)

It's amazing how far sixteen lines of c++ can get you. over 1 year ago

Those are some interesting idea there Alex. I suppose the difference between the approaches is like that of bottom-up change and top-down change.

I know the idea of air-quality-aware routing has been kicking around for a while - in fact I think Martin from cyclestreets would love to be able to add it to their product if he had the right data (& time to add it amongst all his other feature requests).

As for c++, well, y'know, none of us were born knowing c++. You just kind of decide to sit down one day and figure it out. The conceptual wall between programmers and non-programmers is imaginary.

Introducing OSMLY over 1 year ago

Impressive.

Mapped Prem Nagar, Berhampur over 1 year ago

Yes, I think the jacket-wearers have chosen to abandon stealth and decided that the best place to hide is in plain sight.

Mapped Prem Nagar, Berhampur over 1 year ago

Mapping parts of the world no-one else wants to map, Part 1: Hanger Lane, London over 1 year ago

Sounds like exactly the sort of place we should be having mapping parties then.

My wish over 1 year ago

I don't know how much attention is payed to this page, but it exists and it couldn't hurt to add your request to it.

Sao Paulo city hall is using OSM! over 1 year ago

Pity all the markers seem to be floating in mid air.

Using OSRM to improve road mapping quality over 1 year ago

I'm also working on improving mapping quality using OSRM, see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/That_Shouldnt_Be_Possible

Unfortunately due to infrastructure constraints the prototype is only running on the british isles at the moment, but I'm working on expanding that.